1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning New concept (OSIDIAS), The CNC arrives!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by craigbru, 6 Feb 2009.

1. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

Didn't know man. A bit late but still, Happy Birthday!

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Yes, I really do need to start the damn case, don't I? :D

Thanks man!

3. craigbru

Despite the lack of 'real' work done on this project, I've still been collecting a steady stream of parts. One of the most anticipated of these parts arrived in a box from Aqua Computer in Germany. Inside was the electronic heart of OSIDIAS. These parts will be responsible for monitoring almost every electrical aspect of the case. From fan speeds, to temp monitoring, to lighting, and even powering up and down. Although I've got much detailed planning to do to make this all happen, I'm looking forward to the challenge.

So, what did I get? Here are all the parts laid out for inspection.

[​IMG]

One of the most critical parts, is this Multiswitch. It is controlled via USB through the Aquasuite software. This will be the electrical switching station for anything having on/off requirements. The lighting would be a good example of this.

[​IMG]

Next up is the new Aquacover for the DDC pump. All specs aside, it was just too damn good looking not to throw in the system.

[​IMG]

Now we have the new flow sensor and inline temperature sensor. Both of these parts are very high flow, and low restriction.

[​IMG]

And finally, we have a VFD Aquaero. This is really the brains of the operation. Everything starts here. All monitoring and control runs through here and the Aquasuite software via USB. The Aquaero will be linked to the secondary Via pico-itx system, and a touchscreen LCD. These components working together will allow seamless and automated system control and monitoring.

[​IMG]

One last thing worth mentioning, is the Powerbooster modification made to the Aquaero. This addition is a special cooling block and a small hardware modification of the Aquaero which will allow you to use a Laing pump on fan channel 1. The other three channels will be able to handle 15W instead of 10W. This increases the available overall power to 45W. It's more than enough in my case.

[​IMG]

Now, to go play with some hardware...

4. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Why do i just love AC gear, but naver have the money or hardware for it :p

5. craigbru

It's easy to love. The stuff is just damn sexy! I really didn't want to pay the price either, but I wanted to go all out for this project.

6. craigbru

There's a funny thing that happens when you are planning a project way longer than you had anticipated. Changes. Changes happen. Many changes actually. Although I've stood by the basic form factor I had first envisioned, things have been in a constantly evolving state. A tweak here, a tweak there, in the ongoing pursuit of perfection. Every last detail is being planned and thought out in advance. Just when I think I've got it nailed, another idea pops in to my head, and I'm revising again. Now, I can't keep this up forever, and I'll soon have to commit to a design plan, but until that happens I'm going to have a little fun.

So why the rambling intro? Well, I've got another idea. This one is slightly more costly, slightly more unique, and way more insane. In fact, this sort of thing wouldn't even have been very economically feasible even a year or two ago. What sort of thing am I referring to? UMPC's... Yes, why stop at 2 systems in a single machine, when you can have 3. Do I have your attention now?

Here's what I'm thinking... As OSIDIAS stands right now, I've already got a 7" touchscreen on the front. This screen was to act as the control interface for the pico-itx system, which in turn monitors and controls almost every aspect of the main system. If I replace that touchscreen with a UMPC linked via a wireless connection to the pico, I can retain the same functionality through software. The biggest advantage then, is the ability to remove the UMPC and control the system remotely. On top of that, I've got still got all the original functions of the UMPC itself. Overkill? Nah, there's no such thing! So, stay tuned for updates as the plan gets revised and implemented. Insanity has reached a new level...

I suppose you want to see the UMPC I plan on using, huh? :D

[​IMG]

http://www.myviliv.com/eng/product/x70ex.asp

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If you keep this up, you are going to need to replace all your wiring with custom circuit boards to get it to fit.:hehe:

8. craigbru

Lol, I'm hoping to stop before I take it that far...

9. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

10. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

you're insane :hehe:

very nice idea though. that umpc looks nice.
    I've always wanted a umpc, though the OQO e2 is kinda more interesting but they are so damn expensive.

11. craigbru

Maybe, but it's not like it's money wasted. I've been wanting to get a UMPC anyway, and this gives me a pretty good excuse. :D

Thanks man. Lol. The OQO is very nice, but it should be at twice the cost! :eeek:

12. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

that thing is just sexy!!!!!
    i really like the UMPC thats whats sexy to me
    is that wrong?

13. craigbru

Haha, nothing wrong with that at all... :worried:

14. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

this should be awesome

15. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Craig...dude.

I thought at one point you said you didn't want OSIDIAS getting to the same weight class as Rogue ;)

Seriously though, I am really looking forward to seeing this come together. I have no doubt in my mind you will pull this off and raise that elusive bar ever higher for the rest of us.

Look forward to seeing it!

16. craigbru

Thank you!

Lol, well, this will weigh less... At this rate, if it's anywhere close to 50 pounds I'd be happy. The case is still going to be a fair bit smaller, but more densely packed. Regarding any bars, I'm aiming to hit them square in the nuts... :rock: Really though, I'm just a guy with a Dremel... :D

17. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

You sir, are an insane evil genius and I envy you for it!
    Now please hurry up and build this!

18. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Gah! Fake hope....

19. craigbru

Thanks mate! I'm almost there! Really I am! I've got some new tools to play with for this build. I recently received a new scroll saw, and 36" metal brake... :rock:

[​IMG]

Lol, sorry for the delays! On the bright side, I received the Viliv a few days ago, and it's a awesome little piece of hardware. I'll be doing a video review for losias.net this weekend, and you should see the results here shortly after.

Right now, I'm playing with software options. I'm working on setting up a bluetooth network for OSIDIAS itself. The Viliv, pico-itx, and OSIDIAS main, will all share information this way. This is in addition to the wi-fi capabilities they all will have. The bluetooth network will be for system monitoring. Temps, fan speeds, water flow and such, will be relayed remotely through Samurize and Aquasuite profiles. Should be pretty awesome once set up and tweaked!

20. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I'm jealous :hehe: Very nice brake. :thumb:
    Cant wait to see it in action.