1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Does Windows XP use different serial keys for versions with service packs included?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by -Xp-, 21 Dec 2009.

1. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Hello, I've just bought a second hand tablet PC which came with a copy of Windows XP Tablet edition on it. There is a COA with a CD key stuck to the bottom but the recovery CD wasn't supplied. According to the System Properties screen, it contains "Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005 Version 2002 Service Pack 2"

I also have a CD containing Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005, already updated to Service Pack 3. Ideally I'd like to wipe the drive and install this, but I'm not sure if the CD key on the tablet PC will be compatible with the version on the CD.

I've already tried installing the two side by side on seperate partitions to test, but for some reason the laptop refuses to boot into the GUI part of the installation, and won't even display the boot options.

My next step is to just format the whole thing and try installing from the CD. However if the tablet PC's CD key doesn't work then I'm stumped, as I have neither the correct CD to match the CD key on the tablet, nor the CD key for the CD (it's being used on another machine)!

Does anyone know if I'll be able to install the OS, or will I be stuck with a Windows-less tablet pc?

2. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

I'd say it should work. Most likely you have an OEM version and the key it came with is limited to XP Tablet Edition 2005 so not gonna install XP Pro with it. SP should not matter.

Just to be sure image the drive with DriveImage or similar free tool.

3. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Yes it does matter. I have several versions of XP Pro and it will not accept a key from a different version of xp i.e.( XP Pro no service pack VS XP Pro sp1) So unless you have a key to go along with the newer version i wouldnt try it.

4. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Home OEM versions do share keys - I have installed Home using original, sp1, sp2 and sp3 discs with the same key and no issues.. pro may be different though

5. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I've got a "special" multi-XP disk, has XP Retail/OEM/upgrade Pro/home/media/tablet.

It works about 9 out of 10 times.
    most COA's work fine.

But every now and again one won't.

If you can get hold of a second HD to install to just to check.
    or you could try and install to a USB drive.
    If the PC allows booting from a USb device.

6. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

It does, in fact I had to copy the CD to a USB stick to attempt an install, as the tablet PC has no optical drive!