1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve unveils bots for Team Fortress 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

Not sure if the bots would help the game a whole lot, but if they actually play a good game with only the info a normal player has, I would be very impressed. Cool technology either way.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    :eeek:
    They are kidding, right?!

Have you watched this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLR42GYoyY

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Bots always have stupid AI, it's traditional! I remember the Doom bot in Quake 3 Arena on the hardest difficulty setting was programmed to never miss with the railgun. Actually computationally forced to have 100% accuracy with every shot. If that's not shoddy bot design I don't know what is!

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

will they spy check? can the demo pipe jump past your sentry? i cant wait to see what they can actually do

6. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

This should make idlers everywhere happy.

7. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

yer you can just imiagine.... "Spy sappin mah sentry" bot pyro just stands there waiting for the knife in the back.

Rocket/Demo jumps?

What about health kits, will they walk over a full health kit when they have a simple paper cut and you trialing behind with just 1 health left?!!

Will they explode them selfs to help enginees with metal??

Will the medics wait to uber up with the rest of the team instead of going on a lone rambo mission, will solider or demo damage them selfs to help uber up quicker?

Will be interesting to see, kinda makes me wish I still had our TF2 clan server just to try them out.
    Infact another thing, will the bots take up player slots? Thus preventing actuall real players joining the server, can a player take a bots place etc.

8. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I would assume it would be akin to the AFK of L4D.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

sweet ^_^ soo looking forward to this

10. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

Would be useful to ensure balanced teams if a player drops.

11. Digi

Not likely. In CS it works by just doing the opposite actually. The server is filled up with bots and as players join they are kicked/despawned etc.

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

There's so many elements to this game that I don't think bots would work well at all. hell, I deal with people everytime I play who don't know a damn thing about the game.

Maybe in a simple deathmatch free-for-all type of game they would work, but TF2 is a very teamwork oriented game that also requires co-operation between all different classes to do well.

These are just for the koth maps? because tonight on fastlane I noticed a few players with "bot" in their names.

There are too many aspects of TF2 that rely on guessing or timing rather than actual game data. For instance, when is the best time to uber? what is the most efficient thing to do when ubered? Who should I spy check? As a heavy, should I keep my gun spinning or not? Where is the best sniper position? Where is the best place to build Eng buildings? Should I upgrade my SG right away, or build a dispenser first then upgrade the SG? As medic, when healing, where is the best place to stand so that I don't die? If 3 teammates are all under fire, who should I heal? As soldier or demoman, when should I time my reloading? Where should I put my stickybombs, and when should I detonate them? Should I rush forward to get the CP, or wait for my team?

All of this stuff is a lot more complicated than just a "here is the enemy, point and shoot" type approach that a standard arena bot would have.

Real people don't even know how to do a lot of this stuff. Just tonight, I was playing, and the following happened to me:
    A medic ubercharged me as soldier when I had an empty clip, so I spent half the uber reloading
    A medic ubercharged me as a heavy before I was in range of the enemy, so I had to stop spinning my gun and run up, wasting the entire uber
    I ubercharged a soldier who ignored the 4 guys in front of him to spend the entire charge shooting at a scout who had double jumped behind him..
    I was a heavy spinning my gun in a choke point, and a medic stood IN FRONT of me healing me, so that I couldn't see my targets at all.
    I was in an exposed position and say a teammate medic coming to heal me, had a feeling that he wasn't acting normally, and killed the spy
    I used the chargin targe to run past a sentry gun to get on a CP.

Would a bot know how to do all of these things? I don't think so, unless it was an adaptive AI bot that could learn from past experiences and improve itself.

13. Digi

@ Altron:

Players will always have the edge, so don't expect the world. Having said that it is easy to program a lot of the things you mentioned in. They can run around and take cover and switch weapons in different situations and put sentries up in good spots and not take health packs until they are a certain percentage down etc

As you mentioned. That's already better than half the community that play currently! :)

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I mean, I think they will get the gist of it, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they pick up annoying little habits that aren't really gamebreaking but just get frustrating.

15. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

I guess mappers and modders will have fun with this. Not regular players.

maybe some singleplayer missions will be made.

16. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Uh Why, the Humans in TF2 are stupid enough!!

I don't have to worry about that anymore since I dont play TF2 anymore, instead I play Shattered Horizon, the best FPS to come out in many years, with real 3d tactics, rather than being limited on a x and y plane on the ground, we are Captains of the Sky, and Rocketmen of Woe!

Put up your ground pounding and play with us in Shattered Horizon!

No Bots either!

17. the_good

the_good What's a Dremel?

i agree with Star*Dagger...

Shattered horizon made a new whole world of new ways to play FPS... not the same XY plane old fashion!

everyone must come to space where there is an infinty of worlds!!

Space Legend
    the_good

Tags: Add Tags