1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project :: Kaiten X [08-17] Light Port Madness

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Breach, 3 Jan 2008.

1. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Love the matching angles...top notch!

2. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

First and Second trys looked good, Third hurts my eyes. But I like traditional stright up text.

Looking good, though.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

not sure if anyone has done this before, but i had a thought.

Take a broken motherboard and mount it to just the motherboard tray with its stand-off's, then bake it at a low temperature to relax any stresses built up, might last longer before a crack appears.

4. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

With a view to fixing said motherboard?

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

no, to remove any stresses in his acrylic motherboard tray

6. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Aww I see, I misunderstood ^_^

Though if it fixed the mobo too, that'd be hilarious :hehe:

7. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

What if you kept this text, and tried to lessen the top angle on the 'X' a little more...something less than 90 degrees? Draw that one up and let us see!

Although, the more I look at it the more I like the original...Hm.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

lol, that would be!

9. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Wonder what the DIMM sockets did to deserve being labelled "BAD" :p

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

pee'd on the carpet, ''bad motherboard bad!''

11. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Wonder why that happened? Probably static fright from the carpet.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

offically derailed! lol!

13. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

lol, yeah it was a bad mobo, kept chewing up my furniture, so now it is on mock-up duty. Some never learn:lol:

No worries on derailment, what is the point of all this if we cant have some fun too :D There should be a fresh update soon, I have managed to mount the PSU and some other cool stuff!

Ill probably play with the logo some more as time goes on, the X is the only true thing that will appear on the case probably anyway.

14. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

i think the x in the logo looks off. with the weird orange "leg" it looks more like a y that needs a support stand. if you make the orange "leg" of the x same shape as the rest of the "legs" i think it would look way better.

love the mod. you got some real potential there:D

15. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Thanks p0pe! I must agree with you, the more I stare at that X it looks like a Gothic Y with a pirate peg leg....

I went back to the drawing board, perhaps something a little simpler is in order, less is more I always say! This one is entirely based on the font type with the capitalized X lowered down a little. Not really my most creative, but things dont always have to be lol :baby:-

[​IMG]

16. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

How bout keeping the original X, but making the whole thing, leg an' all the same orange?

17. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

18. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

PSU Mounting and LCD Fun

That could work, I will keep playing around with that for a while. Graphic design is almost as hard as the project itself :wallbash::wallbash:

Thanks! That is what this is based upon, the Pype Invasion. I just added my own special twist :baby:

PSU Mount

Time to figure out how to mount the PSU!

[​IMG]

This is either a place for a hole, or a star-chart :eyebrow:

I wanted to have the bracket be adjustable for differant sized power supplies, which range from 15-18cm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guiding holes followed by my Dremel, using a EZ blade for plastic

[​IMG]

Some filing later, and some of that L bar, we have the start of the forward bracket

[​IMG]

Looking rough, more a proof of concept...

[​IMG]

Which was also proof that I suck at measuring things :wallbash: So I did end up redoing the middle bar and top bracket...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilling, sanding and filing left me with the mostly completed bracket. Still some final sanding and shaping yet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That one fits better! The curve on the top is meant to work with a current PSU with a 120mm fan in the center.

This strange thing is my test PSU I hacked out of some junk that came with a cheap case I got long ago, in a modverse far, far away...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using long screws and some aluminum spacers, the top is firmly mounted to the back plate. The lower 2 were not done because of complications with the brackets, this seemed pretty sturdy though.

It looks way crooked in that shot for some reason, it is straight in real life though :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right where it should be :clap:

Javerh likes this.
  19. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Fun with LCDs

[​IMG]

Something I wanted to incorporate, as before, was the psOne LCD screen. I had gotten it partially working before, but never fully. I think this was due to the lack of C-Sync on my video card at the time.

I used as a guide to help me rewire the VGA plug as the original left a lot to be desired, this goes directly to the LCD instead of through the PCB that normally attatches to the psOne itself...

http://tidder.rudyatek.com/lcd/

And of course, the Bit-Tech guide on this :)

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2004/07/07/psone_lcd/1

[​IMG]

I may redo this hackjob later lol :hehe: After desoldering the original VGA plug it was pretty well demolished, I was not sure if I could salvage it

[​IMG]

I obtained a Matrox Mystique (circa 1997) to run the LCD, as it seemed the best at running these little displays from the various forums out there.

[​IMG]

To play with this little guy, I threw together a Socket 462 based test rig, running Windows XP Pro.

Mostly this was just to check if the LCD did indeed work at least, I will get into the other issues with this in a bit.

Problem 1:

[​IMG]

This is a stripped down car charger for the psOne screen.

When I plugged it in again, I am not quite sure if I somehow bent the Molex pins enough to touch eachother, but

*pop pop fizzle* later, the magic smoke escaped...and it was dead :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

So i will need to locate another one:miffed::sigh:

But I still had the wall charger, so I used that for the rest of the test :D

Problem 2:

[​IMG]

Apparently somewhere in the fray of being moved around in a plastic zip-lock bag forever, the original LCD inverter on the PCB of the screen stopped working. I could see the screen itself power up, but no light was coming out.

Further inspection revealed the contacts were loose or broken on the inverter... I may attempt to fix this, but for the moment I took my chances and used a normal CCFL inverter.

[​IMG]

To my surprise, nothing exploded! It worked perfectly.

[​IMG]

Looking good so far, something was up, colors were not distorted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of fiddling with PowerStrip seemed to do the trick! I have a fully working LCD. This was hard to take a picture of with any accuracy, in real life it looks pretty good :cooldude:

To my total amazement my botch job of a cable held up, though I may redo it again later when it is permanently mounted in Kaiten X.

This test was successful overall, though plenty a pain in the ass. I still think there is more tweaking to do in order to make it look the best, I am not sure I used the exactly correct resolutions. But it works, and that is all I wanted to see for now.

The real question now is whether I can get this to work with Windows 7 64bit :worried: Only thing left to do is hook it up and see what I get. I may have to get a newer PCI card to drive it otherwise, as no 64-bit drivers exist for the Mystique, which should surprise no-one really as it is only 13 years old :hehe:

-Breach

Last edited: 4 Jan 2010
  20. StEm

StEm What's a Dremel?

Very nice so far, keep up the good work friend!