1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Is Console Gaming Dying?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Dec 2009.

1. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Well, "no" has been said already, but "others" are blind to that point of view. I totally understand what the PC can do, I have one *er* a few, remember? I just don't think "all of the other stuff" a PC or a console can do are a selling point when it comes to gaming! Gaming is the primary reason people buy consoles or upgrade a PC. Did I say just "handhelds" or include phones, laptops ect are "all" eating into the PC's market share? Exactly! So, it was "your" fault the disk got scratched and not the console's? It seems that you purposely left that bit of infromation out when you complained of "scratched" disks. You could've just boxed up the system and blamed M$! You also assaulted a PC, PS2, and a Mega Drive too. Unfair bans? How about game cards that don't work, and you get no refund. Hell, how about the games themselves that don't work?!! Frustrating, you bet! How about being "kicked" from a server because you're kicking ass, or being denied in a group for various reasons, or having to play against cheaters, hackers, leechers, bots, and pirates, not fun at all. Ya know, I all too often hear PC gamers complaing about "12yr olds" on the console networks, but if you look at the PC's online experience, it just makes me wonder who 'the "12yr olds "actually are. No wonder M$ bans first and asks questions later! They don't want "those people" in their neighborhood!

2. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Are you referring to Microsoft banning the console modders?

3. Warrior24_7

Yes, absolutely! Also people cheating in games too. Somehow they can detect a modded console, modded/copied games, cheaters, and illegal software. They banned millions of accounts this year, and also shut down millons of PCs in China last year, or the year before last (can't remember which) for pirated software...just like that! They also won't allow dedicated servers either, just ask Epic!

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I feel like answering so;

I don't know about you but gaming isn't the only reason people upgrade a PC, for consoles yes.

A laptop is esentially a PC...And gaming on phone is a joke, until a phone can run Morrowind don't mention it.

What? The Xbox360 still is notorious for the disc rings. Anyways, what was the point of mentioning this?

First of all, it's called windows Verification, if you pirated a copy regardless of country of origin, all you had to do was not get an update. Those "millions" of PCs has illegally downloaded OSes and the users apparently didn't get the memo that Windows Verification(or something like that) would blow up their OS. Secondly, a modded console usually has a modded DVD drive, which IIRC is quite easy to figure out as the DVD IS connected to the console itself, basically a check to see if there was any modifications done to the drive firmware. Firmware check not magic. :thumb:

Man Warrior, your post is quite hard to decipher. I just might need to call john up and get me that Enigma. XD

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I donno if your some bubble boy, but show me anyone that hasn't accidently knocked into something or dropped something. Ive washed a PS2 memory card once and it still worked a few days later. Heck I recently dropped my phone and the battery launched itself down the drain. *shrug* I just feel that something thats gonna end up in most kids bedrooms could take a slight knock without forcing you to spend £40 on a new game just because you "sneezed" too hard.

Is image/video editing or servers(HPC's) not the primary use of computers? Name one office or university that has upgraded to play games. Lower power consumption and higher performance for high end users would make the bulk of any PC sales ahead of any gaming market. See my argument has no merit too. If your gonna state something at least back it up with facts.

I was thinking the same thing Elton. If it isn't a handheld or a game console or a PC...what the hell is it? A mystical potato head groove thing?

Simple special relativity physics. Its all due to the inertial frame of reference. Consoles are so L33T they move at the speed of light!!! thats why they appear so slow to use simple minded PC users.
    Half his arguments are coming from some frame of reference us meer mortals cant reference. Probally why you don't understand what hes on about. I certainly haven't a clue either in those last posts.

6. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

Has anyone see this?
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/gamertagradio/videos/160/1.663

I was slightly skeptic before I saw this, but now... I'm like WOW.
    Note the point about 1 minute into the demo when someone in the audience asks if those were actual game play, then the guy is like "yea that's real game play", and then everyone goes wow. It looked so good none of them believed it was streaming HD gaming at first. THEN the guy busts out an iPhone playing Crysis and passes it around for people to play. Very cool.
    This isn't a gimmick anymore. The only problem they might have now is too many people might sign up.

7. javaman

+1 nice link, Would love to see their servers. Imagine the folding power of them =O

The most interesting thing I found is their compression. There are two solutions to improving bandwidth and speed, newer faster fiber optic cables or better data compression. The second is the cheapest to develop and can produce great results. I would love to see that compression released for video streaming on you tube and on demand TV. The fact its UDP rather than TCP saves bandwidth and speed since the user doesn't have to confirm that every packet has got there. My only concern is that on a bad day games will be unplayable due to too many packets going missing.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2009
  8. Elton

I still see the potential weakness for OnLive being the lack of a good internet infrastructure.

It'll work in Japan and South Korea though.

9. Warrior24_7

First off, I never said that gaming was the "only" reason, but the "primary" reason. BIG difference! A laptop "is" a PC, not "essentially" one. Its just a portable, and sometimes scaled down version of one. It represents mobility, with the connectivity and ability of a desktop, like Phones, handhelds, MP3 players and PDAs. People want to stay connected, mobile, watch movies, listen to music, and game on the go. They work in places that give 10,15, to 30 minute breaks at a time, and the "PC" that they're sitting in front of for 8 hours a day CAN'T DO $H!T! "If" the thing can even go online, alot of the sites are blocked! So much for bragging about the 200 million PCs sold each year! They're not doing a damn thing for PC gaming. Ignoring the millions of "casual" gamers in this market is foolish. The problem is that "you" think that if you're not grinding for 8-10 hours a day, or repeatedly fighting the same creature over and over, for 24hrs a day, hoping it drops a certain item, then its not gaming! Morrowind be damned, here ya go.

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/105/1056123p1.html

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/105/1050256p1.html

The 360 is fine now, its reliable, and the problems that plagued the early versions have been corrected, it as simple as that. The point is, don't 'insinuate" that the console caused the scratching, when it was "you" who kicked the machine over while it was running!

You must think M$ is stupid or something. They're totally on to the Chinese market. The lockdown was more a show of force than anything else. They want Chinese money more than anything else. As for gamers, they attack the console, banning it from XboxLive totally. These corrupted consoles are now showing up online for sale! Some people are being honest about the status of the console they're selling, others, well, you know what they say...there is no honor amoung thieves, so buyer beware!

10. Warrior24_7

I don't live in a bubble, and don't need to because I'm not a clutz. I take care of my things. Yes, these machines are made for "children", but they're still electronic pieces of equipment, and should be treated with a degree of care. My "children" have grown up gaming, and have NEVER torn up a single piece of gaming equipment. As far as "backing things up with facts" is concerned, we wouldn't be having this conversation if you would've taken your own advice.

11. Warrior24_7

Add me to the list of being impressed! Although I've said some bad things about this, If they got it off the ground I'd give it a shot just to see! I have FIOS, but I'm still wary of the pricing and purchasing plan for the service and the games. Since I already have the hardware (consoles, gaming PC), if I can buy the same game from a store or site, own it, and play it forever with no further cost, then why would I ever do this?!! What advantage do I get from this? Also look at the website, you'll see the sponsors like EA and such, but you don't see M$, Sony, and Nintendo. Without their support, then it'll be a rough road ahead.

12. Elton

What? Are you daft?

They didn't it's called Sims IIRC.

I don't know about you, but I take care of my stuff quite well, and the 360 does manage to scratch discs, not because I'M clumsy but rather because the DVD drive spins hella fast. With that said, the 360 is fine now, but after 3 years of literally melting itself, it's no surprise.

By the way, your posts are insanely hard to read, it's like talking to person with the attention span of a spoon.

Finally: About those game reviews, here's a challenging though: Use the Iphone Control interface vs. a Pc player..

Yup real pretty.

Gunsmith likes this.
  13. Warrior24_7

14. Elton

Ouch, but then again, I insulted you so it's fair game. Nevertheless, it's fun to argue, and to continue doing so is always a boon, therefore my rebuttals:

I don't know about you, but you might want to take a look at the first 2 years of the 360, a 50% failure rate in any business would = closing down. I don't see 50% of PC hardware failing, sure perhaps programming wise it's a bit more widespread, but that's due to the user mainly(in terms of viruses) and you don't see a PC dying within a 2 years of it's life that often. And your comparison is a bit unfair seeing as PC's have been around, hell Windows XP SP2 has been around longer than the Xbox 360.

Fair enough, I made a bad comparison, however the mobile market is an entirely different niche, I will never be able to play an RTS or even an FPS on a mobile device regardless. With that you're lumping all types of gaming into 1 market, which is on the whole a bit odd since you can also say that the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 also get their market share taken away by mobile gaming, and yet no mention of this. Isn't that odd? :eyebrow:

By all means do so, but how is it more of an investment to spend +$1600 on a Gaming laptop when you can get an overrated and overhyped gaming desktop for $600 and a good laptop for $900 and then have $100 left over for....ice cream? Or maybe a dinner? :thumb:

15. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Over-hyped and over-rated ... desktop ...

You'll instead be buying a decent gaming laptop ... ?

If anything in this world is truly over-rated and over-hyped it is gaming laptops.

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

+1.

The advantages of laptops are low space requirements and high portability. Good luck gaming sans power cable for more than 40 minutes :p

17. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I have read the last couple pages regarding this big debate you guys are having and I am inclined to agree more so with Warrior as he does have some decent points.

Also in regards to PC sales being much higher than console sales; the PC does allot more than game and people buy them for allot more than gaming, in fact everyone I know has a PC HOWEVER rarely any of them use it for gaming.

PC gaming is in my eyes becoming a niche. The computer game industry is booming, despite a recession and it has overtook the music industry in turnover now.

We could talk facts and figures but I am willing to bet there are more console gamers than PC gamers and this is something that will continue to rise.

PC's are always needed for many things, thats a given but its the age old problems that it is inflicted with that will hold it back; glitches, bugs, installation issues, cheaters, hackers, bots, compatibility issues etc etc...

Consoles are there for gaming, plug and play.

PC gamers are people who will generally have a good enough PC to play such games and logic suggests if a person has invested in a good PC, they are usually the "PC Gearheads" like ourselves....or someone who knows enough about them.

If your social circle are PC gamers then thats what you will believe, that it is better. If your social circle is console gamers - You will believe thats whats better.

I am both and have been both and having taken a step back to look outside - The majority are console gamers while the PC gamers are fewer and far between....and these people in turn own consoles themselves too.

Console gaming will continue to rise as they become media centres and begin catering for the movies and dvds, internet, online play in a easy-to use package.

The PC will require time and effort to understand which many people dont want to invest...those that will will reap the rewards for it but I fear many opt for the simler and easier option of console gaming.

18. Warrior24_7

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh for gods sake!

DO
    US
    A
    FAVOUR
    AND
    PISS
    OFF!

I'm as hardcore a PC gamer as they come and you are an walking embarrasment not to mention a waste of carbon.

begone annoying fanboy! :eyebrow:

20. javaman

DS does sell well but like my wii its currently gathering dust. My PSP on the other hand has recently been revived as a method of playing movies while traveling into uni. I still keep a game in there incase I manage to go through the 4-5 eps of CSI ive squeezed onto the memory stick. The same applies to PC gaming, I use my PC for uni work, I use it to encode the DVD's, record TV. Since I have a PC its logical that whacking in a GPU and gaming on it if far cheaper than buying a console. How many people do that? Like i've said a few times because of the usefulness of PC's, and senario's like this, gaming will always be developed and therefore done on PC's. Yes consoles might do it better in some peoples eyes but the PC will always be there. Even as a jack of all trades. With the growth of browser games and social networks can only draw people to PC's. Most people who play those games will probally progress into the sims or even wow. With games that huge still on PC,it won't die.

warrior your comparing apples to oranges with consoles vs laptops. Like I said before the mobile gaming market is almost different to the console/PC market. The major advantage of a laptop is it goes between these markets. Your missing the bigger picture as a laptop can fill the role as a desktop replacement, and a portable gaming machine that plays top end games on the move. can the DS do it? can the PSP? both are handheld and not even in the same price range. Laptops are completely unique in that sense. A laptop compared to a desktop tho for gaming, the desktop will always win in power and value, when compared to a console its much closer.....except for the fact the laptops portable which is where your extra money goes at the cost of performance.

Your argument about "two misfired 4890's" shows you haven't read any posts. Since 1080p can be achieved on a single 4760 which is how much these days? If your gonna compare something at least make it in the same range. I might as well compare a megadrive to PS2 and conclude the megadrive is the worse invention in the history of mankind compared to the PS2 but we all know thats not a fair comparison. Same goes for a high end PC to a console. A basic gaming PC(around £400 from scratch, upgrades cost far less) for slightly more money than a console is a much better comparison. Due to increased prices in the last month or so means the price is no longer as close, but the fact remains, very few console games manage 1080p or even look good at 720p due to upscaling and lack of AA. People want the best and the get this with PC's. PCs play console games, and they do it better than consoles. To sum up, Pc gaming will survive because of elitism.

10year old PS2? mine lasted 5 years, before it stopped reading disks. My mates lasted 3 before its fan stopped working. My PS1 around the same then the laser burned out. Mega drive still lives tho. The only PC ive had die was my Dell (unsurprisingly) in which the mobo died. Tho, game time alone can't be compared since it was used to do office work. Either way my consoles and PC have had around the same life expectancy. Too short IMO, but things arn't built the way they use to be. After all, the megadrive has out lived them all, as has my pentium, and two pentium II PC's.

PS3 vs Xbox is another debate for another time. Uncharted has changed my opinion on this tho but yes, most multi format releases look better on 360 and better still on PC :grin:

Tags: Add Tags