1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: MNU by Kylevdm - ENERMAX SPONSORSHIP!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kylevdm, 30 Dec 2009.

1. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

[​IMG]

After a yearlong hiatus, I am back to modding! That is right you did just read that... I have had a number of issues with modding this year: time, money, health, school, etc, etc. Now that most of that has been cleared out of the way I can finally get back to modding. This project I have been planning for close to 4 months while doing other things for The Mod Brothers and Case Mod Blog. I have finally ironed out the concept of what I want this case to look like and it is going to be based on the awesome movie "District 9". Bill Owen begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting has been creating a District 9 mod as well which I am sure you are all familiar. However, I am going to be taking a slightly different side to the story. My mod is going to be a MNU General Purpose Security Vehicle. When speaking to Bill he sent me over this picture that he had found while researching for his project.

[​IMG]

Original Artists (WETA)

The MNU used this General Purpose Security Vehicle in the movie, and so I am going to be incorporating bits and pieces from the design of the double cab into a case.

A few sketches...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally we get to the case. It is, well to be honest I have no clue! Branded as a MECER PREMIUM-X it is an old AT case as far as I can make out but that is all about to change.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, it is in fact missing a side panel. So while going through all my scraps of aluminium from my last Project: Deadline I found this and it was MADE for this case! Look at that it fits perfectly!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well not quite perfectly but pretty much I just need to trim the top a bit. I marked it up with some masking tape and drew the line in. Just remember to measure, measure, and measure again! Will get it cut tomorrow before the New Year PARTAAY!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Dec 2011
  2. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Sweet, District 9 seems to be the new theme in town. Which is good, because D-9 is excellent :D

Definitely will be watching this one!

3. x_JesusNinja_x

x_JesusNinja_x What's a Dremel?

good plans:D

4. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Still haven't seen district 9! Like the look of this though, that twincab is pretty cool.

5. Kylevdm

@Breach, Cheers! It does indeed was such an awesome film!

@JesusNinja, hehe I have even more drawings now :)

@Woody, GO SEE IT NOW! haha Grab the DVD is definitely worth it!

6. Kylevdm

Update 2

After a very eventful New Year... Happy New Year to you all! I started dismatling the case. It had a whole bunch of support beams drive cages, removable motherboard tray which was for AT motherboards as well as a few other bits and pieces. They were all riveted so I got busy with the power drill and a 3mm drill bit. After a few minutes I managed to make the drill bit all but disappear :p.

[​IMG]

After getting rid of all the junk here are the remaining pieces of the case that I will need for the build.

[​IMG]

The last thing I managed to do today is mark out what I wanted to do for the top and bottom panels. An exhaust vent at the bottom for the PSU and a 120mm fan at the top as an exhaust as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been working on the designs for the back and front panels but am still undecided, there is going to be a custom front panel for sure as for the back but I still need to work out some details.

Catch you later!

PS Excuse the double post

Last edited: 1 Jan 2010
  7. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Funny you should say that, bought it on DVD today :)

8. Kylevdm

haha! And? what do you think?

9. wE-eViL

wE-eViL Sparky

Boy that's one busy truck, looking forward to seeing how ya do this.

10. Kylevdm

Well... I am not going to make the case that busy! But I am trying to incorporate as many of the cool features as possible

11. Kylevdm

Project: MNU (update 3)

Well, the last we weeks since my last update have been an interesting few, with loads of snow, exams, school productions (I am a stage manager not some performer!) and loads of other things...this project had been left in pieces on my bedroom floor, to my mum's disgust I may add! Although this weekend I managed to get to work on it again, I grabbed me safety googles and got too it! However, before I started work on that I decided to work on the side panel design.

[​IMG]
    A few sheets of A4 paper masking tape a ruler and scissors and I am done.

Now it is time for the jigsaw to come out! inorder for me to have two 140mm fans on the front panel, I needed to cut out most of the current front panel so hey why not it all? I do not use optical drives anyway.
    [​IMG]
    Front panel

Bill Owen from MNPCTECH sent me one of his Billet Aluminum 240 Radiator & Fan Grills which are available at his store here a few months ago. Thanks MNPCTECH! I am considering using it for the front panel intakes on the case although I am still trying to work out if it is the correct look or not...

[​IMG]
    Billet Aluminum 240 Radiator & Fan Grill

[​IMG]
    Billet Aluminum 240 Radiator & Fan Grill on the front panel

Now with a new back panel, I may as well make a new back panel as well :) So I took my trusty jigsaw and volia!
    [​IMG]
    Back panel

I then put the case back together again well... ish it is just being held together with friction at the moment!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Catch you later!

Last edited: 1 Sep 2010
  12. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Lookin good Kyle, esp the panel design :thumb:

13. Kylevdm

Thanks Bill! Have exams next week but will be working on this project the week after that before I go to South Africa :)

14. Kylevdm

Hey all!
    Here I am with one more update and this may be the last (well there may be another on Wednesday...) before I go away to South Africa, and no, I am not going to be looking for the "Prawns" but if I find any I will definitely take some photographs! :p

I have not really been able to do any modding but I have had plenty of time to work on the design, well I should have been studying... So here, it is some teasers of the front panel, side panels and window design :) The front panel has changed slightly, I have found my ThermalChill PA120.3 that I pretty much completely forgot about so am going to watercool this rig! Oh, and I am still trying to work out where to put the MNPCTech grill but I am currently thinking on the top for exhausts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Kylevdm

15. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Looking great Kyle! What are you going to be using for the tubes on the guard?

16. Kylevdm

Cheers Craig! I will be using 10, 15 and 22mm copper piping which will be brazed together to give me a welded look. And the big boxy bit is simply some trunking (25*50mm)

17. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Love the concept drawing Kyle :thumb:

18. Kylevdm

Cheers Bill!

Well all my exams are done!!!! Therefore, to celebrate I decided to get my hands dirty, and did some modding! I got to work on the bottom panel, the PSU vent and holes for MNPCTech case feed need to be added. As well as getting rid of some extra holes in the base.

[​IMG]
    The PSU vent cut out and case feet holes enlarged to 1/4"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The feet added, and U-Channelling added.

[​IMG]
    MNPCTech Case foot

[​IMG]
    Filled in some of the holes from the former motherboard tray

Cheers,

19. Kylevdm

Hey!

Well it has been a very long time since I gave any of you any updates! I have been incredibly busy with school work preparing the move to university and also doing lots of background stuff for this mod which has meant there was no point in continuing on with the actually modding of this PC. Why may you ask? Well I would like to say a massive thank you to Fractal Design for sponsoring this mod with their new case, the Fractal Design Define R2. Although it has not arrived yet it will do in the near future!

Thanks Fractal!

[​IMG]

But it is not just Fractal I have to thank!

NZXT are also showing their support with some of their all-new sleeved cable extensions.

[​IMG]

Updates will be coming as soon as the new case arrives!

20. Reverse

Reverse Reverse/srvR