1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Is Console Gaming Dying?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Dec 2009.

1. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

You can upgrade a PC with all the latest hardware, but when is it overkill? At what point do you start to waste money? You say it's far cheaper than buying a console? No it's not. You NEVER have to upgrade a console! Your PC didn't "appear" out of nowhere, you paid for that, and paid "more" than the console's cost initially! Upgrading it, added further to it's costs. Sometimes you can't just "whack in" a GPU either which might cause you to upgrade further. PCs have their place, but the "usefulness" can be found in a whole range of different devices now, so people are less dependent upon the PC. The PC won't die because of "work", it's a tool. Gaming has nothing to do with that. Gaming is something you "do" on the PC, its not the reason it is.

Nooo...I WAS not, comparing consoles vs laptops. I included laptops in with handhelds as eating into the PC's (desktop) market share, and cited the reasons why. Have you really been reading any of these posts? Seriously? I even used the term "desktop replacement" when refering to the laptop and reasons why people want them. I'm seriously considering moving in that direction myself as I see less and less value in a hardcore desktop gaming PC! First off, a DS and PSP can game anywhere, at anytime and fit in your pocket! That can be pulled out and used for 3-5-10 minutes or longer, don't need an internet connection ever. The iPod touch/iPhone is getting alot of attention now as well. The only reason I even brought it up was the trend is that people want mobility! Every media function that a desktop can do is being done with handhelds, phones, MP3 players, laptops, netbooks, ect. As far as value for the money? Mobility is huge here! If you not in front of that desk, then the the desktop is doing nothing for you, but if you have your "desktop replacement" laptop or even a decent one, I believe you have the win!

Um...The two "misfired 4890s" IS in regards to a post, that "YOU" obviously haven't read! Basically 1080p ain't $h!t! Everybody's doing it, and it's not hard to get, at this rate it's going to be a standard soon. "However", if you're bragging about "higher res" than a console can achieve, "multiple monitor" set-ups, "eyefinity", DX11, ect, ect ect, and "you" ain't doing it, OR you don't even have the gear? Then what the hell are you talking about? "You" ain't doing $h!t! You're playing DX9 console games, with a supposedly DX10 card(s), have all that gear, spent all that money, bragged about it, and all you're getting is 1080p? Hell, so am I, with a $199 console, with the EXACT same game, with the EXACT same content? Btw, alot more console games play at 1080p, than there are DX10 PC games! You actually believe that the PC will survive because of "elitism"? Sooo...let me get this straight, just because you "think" you're the best, (even though all evidence shows you're losing in every-single-meaningful-sales category there is) you'll survive because you "think" you should? Well, if this is you, then your're hurting your platform.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17028/1/

The PS2 is ten years old and STILL has games coming out that'll play just as well as ever. Your pentiums can't HOPE to play some of today's games! Feed the Crysis and watch them choke to death. Thats the point, The PS2 can still game after ten years, those pentiums can't.

Well, we've done that debate to death. It "ALL" depends on the PC's build, AND the game being played for that statement to have any merit. For some reason PC gamers want to ignore that fact and give the PC the automatic win everytime, just because it's on a PC, and it's BS! That is just not the case! MW2 is a prime example as the game was released across all platforms with the exact same content!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Minimum System Requirements:
    Hard Drive Space: 16GB free hard drive space
    Operating System: XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7
    Processor: AMD 64 3200+ or Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz or better
    RAM: 512MB RAM (XP) / 1GB RAM (Vista)
    Video Card: Shader 3.0 or better 256MB Nvidia GeForce 6600GT / ATI Radeon 1600XT or better

The 360 AND PS3 blow that right out of the water! I picked up Left for Dead 2 as well, and you're telling me THAT game, or ANY of Valves games look better that everything on a console, even Uncharted? EXACTLY!!

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Most games do look better on a PC, I don't know what kind of glasses you're wearing, because I haven't seen a console render at full 1080p or even 720p without upscaling.

And by the way 2560x1600 regardless of what you're saying is infintely better than upscaled 720p.

Oh and finally I just want to point out that a P4 rig can still game after 4 years, just shove a decent GPU in there and you've got a pretty cheap rig that can run the majority of games.

3. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Warrior, there seems to be some serious flaws in your side of the debate:

Flaw 1:

After strangely trying so hard to troll and convince hardcore PC gamers that 'we' are playing the 'exact same' console games on our PCs with the 'exact same' graphics - you are now willing to talk at least 'some' truth that cross-platform titles can look better on certain platforms. You have now shown that the 'Xbox has beaten the PS3 on numerous occasions when the same games were compared head to head'.

It's funny how you can now admit to differences between one console and another console, yet embarrassedly troll regarding the PC versions of these same games.

If you click on the link below, you may notice the XBOX version of a particular game looking better than the PS3 version. However, you may continue to refuse to accept the PC video looking better than both consoles on a mid spec machine.

PC/PS3/360 Comparison Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-ps3-360-comparison-modern-warfare/58992

Flaw 2:

Most internet screenshot comparisons of 'the exact same' PC games compared to the same console games show the PC versions as having the more advanced textures, lighting and AA.

You seem to think that we need DX10 or DX11 enhancements to compete when most PC/Console comparisons compare with only straight 'poor' DX9 console ports. Yet the PC versions still win.

Flaw 3:

You always seem to compare the cost of console gaming with the most expensive PC garphics cards you can name.

SLI or Crossfire (Missfire as you like to call it) configurations shouldn't even enter the debate at all. These are advanced hardware options for the extreme PC gamer who feels he needs to gain extra performance such as AA or framerate advantages. Or maybe he wants to process PhysX on one card and graphics on the other/s. It doesn't mean that all PC gamers are somehow forced to spend their money on such extremes in order to get a decent gaming experience. This point leads to one of the most beautiful benefits of the modular PC platform: that we all have choices.

A PC gamer only needs a graphics card costing around £75, such as a GeForce 9600 GT, to get better graphics than the console versions of games.

He may enjoy higher framerates than the console versions, unless he feels the need to raise his resolution above the native (1280x720p or lower) 'true' console resolutions.

Flaw 4:

You talk about the relaxed layed back console benefit of sitting on a sofa in a living room as if you can't easily connect a PC to the same HDTV screen and play from the sofa with wireless controllers. Then surf the net with a wireless FULL keyboard from the comfort of the living room sofa. Or record your PC gaming session with FRAPS in true HD instead of pointing a camera at the screen for the consoles. Then watch a sports event from hours of recorded TV on the massive PC hard drive/s with your PC Media Center remote control. Then burn the video onto a recordable Blu-ray disc for a friend - all from one machine in the living room.

Flaw 5:

Flaw 5 is that you think we HAVE TO keep on upgrading our PCs in order to stay on top of the consoles.

Again, one of the most attractive parts of PC gaming is that we all have choices. We can choose to keep on buying the latest graphics cards 'if we want', so we can put extra horse power in the machine and enjoy even higher textures, framerates and AA than before.

It is not the same as 'upgrading' your car to a Lamborghini or Ferrari, only to be driving on the same public roads at the same local speed limits.

Thankfully, PC gaming has no such speed limits. Which is why some console gamers, such as myself get very frustrated with console gaming.

On the PC platform, you can play the average 'poor' console port, such as Modern Warfare 2, with a fairly cheap graphics card and get better performance than the console version.

So if a PC gamer buys a graphics card that provides more graphical power than a console, why does he need to upgrade again if he doesn't want to? If he is already getting better performance than on a console now, he will continue to get better performance than the current generation of consoles for the next 5 or 10 years that they are still around before they die.

Flaw 6:

High console game sales does not automatically mean console gaming can not die.

PC gaming, on the other hand, even with its near-zero public awareness and near-zero game advertizing can never die, simply because the PC platform will always be around.

Flaw 7:

You completely lost every last bit of credibility as soon as you mentioned that you are leaving the "overrated and overhyped gaming desktop" to go for (the even more expensive and less game-developer supported) laptop gaming.

javaman and Elton like this.
  4. Elton

+ rep for a valiant effort, but we've tried. He has some good points, but it's a bit convoluted anyhow.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

+1 tron, you managed to say what I couldn't put fully into words. Lets hope he understands it better comming from you.

@warrior, Ive spent more on "accossaries" for consoles than anything else.

PS1: light gun, 2 steering wheels, multi tap, 3 additional older controllers,3 additional analogue/rumble controllers

ps2: 1 additional dual shock 2, multi tap, stand, dvd remote, new TV scart lead, buzz controllers, dance mat, eye toy

ps3: 2nd controller, HDMI lead.

360: wireless controller, batteries

psp: memory stick (64mb is a joke these days), case, new charger, in car charger

DS: Screen protector, extra pens, "travel set",

PC: rechargable batteries for keyboard (mouse had its own), xbox controller does nicely as does wii remote so techically I should include those, could add in mouse and keyboard but ive so many lying around from old PC's plus £1 mouse does a nice job as does a cheap £5 keyboard, Speakers. WOW subscription

Wii: (here we go) extra remote, 2 numchucks, mario cart steering wheel, extra guitar hero guitar, wii fit balance board, extra grip things for board and controllers, wireless sensor bar (the power cable broke on the old one when my died packed it up. TBH it was like dental floss), remote charger stand, remote straps to keep it on your wrist.

Thats what Ive bought never mind what I could of bought!! Consoles have huge amounts of hidden charges. Xbox360 even charges for gaming online.

On top of that consoles games are more expensive than PC games (mass effect for £3 compared to £25 for xbox, far cry 2 £13 compared to £30 for xbox and £40 for PS3 and thats retail not online from steam or amazon). The only games I play on consoles are exclusives anyway. Since PC gaming does look far better and is cheaper in the long run compared to consoles.

6. Warrior24_7

Oh!, Is it "most" games now?!! Its not "ALL" games anymore? When did that change?!! What glasses are "you" wearing? You're starting to come around to a more resonable line of thinking I see. Pretty soon you'll be actually telling the truth, that depending on the build of "your" PC, the games will look better.

Of course it is, but the ONLY way "you're" getting that kind of resolution is if "you" have the proper monitor. If you don't, YOU DON'T! Then 2500x1600 is a fantasy to the person who doesn't own such a monitor, if your PC is hooked to a TV and all you're getting is 1080p, then thats all your getting! Just like a console. I don't care if you've got every single piece of highend hardware they make, if you put it on a $h!!ty display, then it's garbage-in-garbage-out, period!

Who said anything about a pentium 4? Where did that come from?!! I said "10yr old" PS2, in response to a statement about how long his "pentium" and "pentium II" lasted! Yea, can you still game on those?!! Do you know of any 10yr old PCs that are still gaming? EXACTLY!

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

PCs and consoles are different

/thread

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I believe it's been mentioned. Yet the thread continues.

The mind boggles.

9. Warrior24_7

The 360 has not just beaten it graphically in some games, but technically as well. Some games "play" better on the 360 than PS3, resulting in the game being "better" on the other console. Waiiit a minute, "I'm" refusing to accept something?!! How about "you" accepting the fact that the "minimum specs" of Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 are "lower" than that of the console versions, and thus wouldn't look as good! It's an undeniable fact, IT'S RIGHT ON THE DAMN BOX!!! Many, PC games have minimum standards far below what the the consoles are capable of. "SO", with that said, THE GAMES will not look better! However, you can "better" those specs with "upgraded" hardware! That is EXACTLY what you're doing. The "better" the upgrade the "better" the game will look, (and play) eventually eclipsing the console. So, this re-enforces my point yet again, "depending on the build of "your" PC, the games will look better! All PC games don't look the same, or play the same, depnding on it's "individual build".

Nope! The whole DX10/DX11 was brought up as a aside to the fact that it's nothing more than a maketing gimmick. Where are the stand alone DX10 games? How many years now 3-4 years now? How many cross platform or PC exclusive games have dropped in that time? How many "DX10" cards have you purchased? How much money was spent? Theres been PLENTY of time to make the games, they just didn't. They could sell the cards anyway without deliveing the goods. You're playing DX9 games, just like a console! PC gamers want to go on about console 1080p, but are embarrassed by the fact that despite all the money spent on upgrades, you're playing the same DX9 games. Depending on "your" PC's build, the game will or will not look better.

ORILY?!! Don't talk about SLI or "Mis" *Er* Crossfire? Why? Afraid it doesn't work? it's another expensive boondoogle like DX10? Would you take a rifle into combat if it "fired" some of the time? EXACTLY!! So let me get this straight, when you want to "brag" about what the PC can do, or how "superior" it is over a console, then you want to talk about all the "expensive" stuff like "multiple monitors", "multiple cards", extreme resolutions like "2500x1600", which requires a big "expensive" monitor, "DX11 cards", "eyefinity", ect, ect... But when it's pointed that the $h!t don't work, or it's way expensive, there are no games, it's a rebrand ect, then we can't talk about it?!! Now you want to jump down to a 9600 or 8800? After all, aren't they the same thing?

Look, I just purchased a wirless keyboard for the PS3, and have all the internet media functions as well. But let me ask you something? How many people have a Blu-Ray player in their PC? Exactly! How many have their PC in the living room hooked to the TV? Uh huh. Aren't you losing all that superior "high res capability" by being bound by 1080p, like a console? Blu-Ray players, media centers, remote controls, wireless keyboards, Hmmm...

Well if you don't "have" to upgrade then why are you not still gaming on "Pentiums", Pentium IIs, and 10yr old PC hardware? Exactly! Let's move on shall we? Your saying it's "not" the same as Ferraris and Lambos? Well another PC gamer disagrees with you and said it "is" remember? First off, you "DO" have limits, they're call "minimum standards"! So, if you don't meet them, well you just can't play the game thats all! Just ask any Crysis owner! Thats something the console doesn't have to worry about. So the "no upgrade" thing, eventually gets tossed out with yesterdays garbage! If you put your "high speed' ,um, "Lambo" on say a "TV", and are bound by TV resolutions, did you not just slow it down? Hmmm... Well as far as MW2 is concerned, the 360 is the best selling version of the game across ALL platforms bar none. The gamers have spoken, PC gamers as well, who brought the game on the console. We can kick that ball around all day, but the "minimum standards" for the game are lower than that of the 360 version. So the "No upgrade" guy, has an "inferior" PC version of a console game!

Did you just contradict yourself here?!! No he "WON'T" continue to get better perfomance than a console because console hardware doesn't change, it stays the same! PC hardware does! You can still game on 10yr old PS2 hardware, with games made in 2010! You CAN'T game on 10yr old PC hardware! Unless you're playing the same 10yr old games!!

The PC platform and PC gaming are not bound to eachother at all. What is going to change for the PC if they can't get this piracy under control is the WAY you get your games. MW2 is a prime example. No extra content, no effort from the developer. Then Valve will get more power as to where you can buy the game in the first place! Steam will be a mandatory download to get PC games. Just my opinion. I already see things moving in that direction.

Wha?!! I thought we had "choices"?!! I guess not. How is a gaming laptop any less "game-developer supported", than a desktop? Explain that please! I want an explanation on that one! LOL!!!

10. Elton

What kind of logic is that? If you base everything off minimum specs then we'd all have computers from 2006, that isn't the case though now is it?

An $80 GPU and a $60 CPU can eclipse a console, your point?

I understand the point, but the wording was odd, the game looks the same, maybe a bit muddier but it's not like the screen is green on another PC, and it plays the same, unless the PC was mapped differently, performance is different and that is true.

By that logic, then you can say that the console is holding back the PC, which is the case. And IIRC there are quite a few DX10 games, although the improvement is marginal, your point is a bit moot.

[QUOTEHow much money was spent?[/QUOTE]
    Approximately $180, but think of it this way, it was 4 years since an upgrade..

Yes playing DX9 games, but exactly like a console? Not so much.

A 30" monitor has quite a few uses besides being expensive, for example, most of those are professional photo editing monitors, plus I can game on it with 1 card, eyefinity? You're insane.

Quite a few, and it's called a HTPC, get with the times.

I could, but I'd be playing 10 year old games probably, wait...doesn't that apply to the consoles as well? They may get updates, but sacrifices will have to be made on many fronts for a new game to run on old hardware(look at GTA IV).

Actually he would according to you, because the console hardware is unchanging anything newer than it surely must be faster. But anyways, the game you said made in 2010 is using 2000 graphics so to speak, you can polish it all you want but hardware in an old console is the barrier nonetheless.

Are you kidding me? Can you not read? The Xbox 360 ALSO has piracy..GASP!!! But in all seriousness, I wouldn't have paid for that extra content anyways...$10 for a damn 3 pack of maps? Only people who have more cash than brains would do that. At any rate, it won't migrate to steam, why? Because some of us still like using solid media, plus I don't have to have my ISP slapping me everytime I want a game..

It's been a really fun battle by the way, and I've realized one thing here today.

I hate typing on a laptop. :grr:

11. javaman

Min specs are what it takes for the game to be playable. Like your tossing around that PS2 is "min" specs of today. Why not compare min specs to a PS2 then? Itll still look like dogs bollocks on PS2. Why not compare recommended specs? After all, isn't a PS3/Xbox the recommended specs for console gaming?

but at least we're playing them @ 1080p

No simply because they're both designed to be for high end gaming A concept your failing to understand. As for both they do work. If it didn't then they wouldn't be around anymore, simple as. To match a console you don't need to spend much and much of those advance features are avaible to pc gamers which just aren't there for consoles. High res gaming can be done on a PC priced around console level and I can guarentee it will still look better!! As for 8800 => 9600 lower spec in a new gen, not really hard to understand or grasp the concept is it?

blu ray rom only costs £50, cheaper than £300for a PS3 plus PC has far more storage and can do so much more. PS3's are good for media center duty, put PC's eclipse them. Heck ion platform manages 1080p play back easily, a basic desktop sure as heck can too.

I use my PC for more than gaming. Plus Im an enthuast, I like shiny new things.

o_O Im confused by this.

PC gamers demand more from their games. Just because MW2 was a piece of poo compared to what it should be. If anything the PC gamers have spoken and shown that there is only so much crap a developer can get away with. Isn't our fault console gamers have low standards

PS2 games today look really bad compared to PS3 games?? Theyre no where near the standard but watered down versions ie. fifa 09. If PS2 was so capable then why have a PS3? your logic or lack of is astounding.

While I like to own physical media, steam is very very good. I don't see how this is a downside since console gaming will head the same way.

Gunsmith likes this.
  12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

QFT +rep

13. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Can I just pick you up on the fantasy bit. Console owners don't even get the option for 2560x1600 and I wouldn't think they'll get the option in the next gen either because everyone has only just bought 1080p. So PC have the upper-hand for at least another 5 years easily.

14. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

hate to point out that most console games cant even get 720p sorted so the monitor argument is invalid.

I also like the fact I can tune most pc games to give the graphics I'm happy with - dragon age a bit jerky but in 1080p fine by me but cant do that on the console version

15. Warrior24_7

I'm playing Guild Wars and WoW on a stock Dell Dimension E510 with a MFG date of 12/12/05!The "DEVELOPER" bases the games off of minimum specs. This is whats required to play the games!! They put the specs right on the box of every single PC game! Those speccs are "below" console standards! But again, we can't talk about this because it's the truth. It makes the PC look bad, because it gives the console the edge. It's taboo.

"Muddier?" I know what it looks like, I have that Dell remember? It looks like $h!t! Looks worse then a console.

Thats a cop out! The console isn't holding back a damn thing. Those "PC" developers abandoned the PC along time ago! They've been turning out DX9 console ports for the last 3-4years and haven't developed one DX10 game!! Whats stopping them? Exactly!! You can make all the excuses you want, but the truth is that they're shooting PC gamers the bird!

Hmmm... A minimum spec'd, DX9, console port, with the same content? Yes, much!

I'm insane? This is coming from someone who paid over $1000 for a monitor?!! "Eyefinity"? Something often spoke of but never owned or used?!! Like all the other "DreamPC" hardware.
    I already know what your gonna say next, "you" didn't pay $1000, you picked it up at a garage sale for $50! See, PC gaming is cheap!

A "Home Theater PC?" designed to play movies, music and some very light gaming...maybe? Something like a PS3? Never heard of it.

No it doesn't. They code directly to the console's hardware. So the 10yr old console can play 2010 games quite nicely! As for a 10yr old PC?!! Forget it! It ain't happening! The OS is out dated, the HD is too small, the RAM is wrong, and the CPU can't handle the game. It makes a nice heavy paper weight though.

The game is being made, and being played. Where is it's "10yr old "PC" counterpart?!! Excatly!!! 2000 graphics? How about a 2000 OS that is not even supported anymore, HDs that are too small, RAM too slow, CPUs not powerful enough? The console wins this hands down.

They also have modded consoles too, and all of those people did the million man march right out of the back door. This is a business. These people buy these machines in bulk, mod 'em, and sell 'em. People know what they're buying. They buy, get caught, get banned, do it again. Piracy on the PC is out of control. They said Activision lost over $245 million on the PC alone!!! Thats not chump change! Things are changing for the worst on the PC, the trends are already showing signs of things to come.

16. Warrior24_7

Are "you" gaming @ 2500x1600? EXACTLY!! So it's "fantasy". Consoles are made to run on TV resolutions. Anybody hooking their PC to a TV, is running those same resolutions...just like a console, no matter what your build!

17. javaman

warrior show me GTA4, uncharted, GT5, even Halo or resistance running on a PS2 or Xbox. I rest my case. Just because games are being developed for a 10year old machine doen't mean they're up to the standard of their latest gen machine. Your logic is so far off beam and flawed its unbelievable. The processor Ive had in my PC is how old now (not mine personally but when was it released)? I think it was released in 2006 and although its starting to bottleneck, I won't have to upgrade for another 3 years if I don't want to. If I got a better processor and overclocked it would of lasted longer!! The fact I can play everything at full with my set up and still have enough head room means Ill get guite abit longer out of it. Never mind I have the option of turning down settings to make it last even longer!!

Are you even gaming at 1080p? Do you even have Full HD TV?

TY gunsmith =)

18. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Flaw 7: Reloaded

Laptop Gaming

Disclaimer: First, Warrior, allow me to make myself clear that I am not against laptop gaming.

You may have various reasons to get a new laptop, such as the mobility benefits and also having the ability to game on it as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However, the 'flaw' that I pulled up was in direct relation to the fact that you have spent the whole thread complaining about how expensive you think desktop PC gaming is, but then implying that laptop ganming is the solution. The reality is that laptop gaming is far more expensive. You can build a more flexible, upgradable and powerful desktop for a fraction of the cost of a laptop.

The other contradiction is this: If you are telling the truth about yourself going thru such a terrible experience trying to get your games to work on your desktop PC, and this 'bad luck' follows you into laptop gaming, then unfortunately you will quickly discover that most PC games are not supported on laptops. You may call technical support and the first thing they will tell you is that, "the game is not supported on laptops". You may decide to then read the game's instruction manual and notice that it lists all the supported graphics cards, then says, "laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported".

Minimum specs

As others have already highlighted, your fixation with comparing console graphics to the minimum PC specs written on the back of PC game covers has no logic.

Let's look at what minimum specs are. They are there simply to give a guide to the consumer about what they suggest are the 'minimum' specs you should have in order to play their game. Albeit with lower quality picture. They (the developer) have scaled the game 'down' to work on a wide range of specs, so more people can play the game. How far they scale it down to work on old PCs is up to the developer. But there's nothing to stop them from going back 10 years, IF they really wanted to.

The minimum spec is NOT there to say to people that this is how the game 'should' look.

Recommended specs

These are there to give the consumer a rough guide as to what type of 'currently available' PC hardware they require in order to play the game more 'closer' to how the developer intended the game to look 'ideal' on the PC platform.

Why have you not chosen to compare with Recommended specs?

Surely that would make more sense.

Maybe it's because it will prove that the vast majority (if not all) PC versions of multiplatform games will look better on Recommended spec PCs (even when played at console resolutions).

It doesn't matter about what this man's PC specs are, or that the next man has a 10 year old PC and is bragging about a graphics card he may not have.

What counts for a more sensible comparison to console graphics is the way the game is ideally 'supposed' to look on PC. Hence the term: Recommended specs.

The extra good thing about PCs is that you can exceed the recommended specs and improve the game further. How much further may depend on each game. At least the choice is there, such as framerates and AA. These are things that you can enjoy even at console resolutions on a TV. Then there are extra options available for PC gamers, such as 3-monitor Eyefinity setups, PhysX, DX10 / DX11 enhancements and other good things a console simply cannot do.

If you connect your PS3 to any screen higher than 1080p, the game's 720p native resolution will not increase further. Just like you can't tweak and increase your AA and smooth out them jaggies. The PC platform, on the other hand, is modular. So regardless of each of our current specs, we have upgradable options. Just like you may be gaming your PS3 on a 1080p screen, yet someone else is gaming their PS3 on a 10 year old standard def CRT TV. Just like you say you decided to get a keyboard for surfing on your PS3, yet most PS3 users don't have a keyboard. It's all about what each particular gaming platform is capable of.

Upgrading

If you are going to compare a console to a ten year old PC, then you should be comparing to a console relating to the same generation, not to a PS3 or Xbox 360.

I CAN indeed still play 10 year old games on my other 10 year old PC exactly as I loaded the games 10 years ago. The game has not degraded as you may want to think. I don't need to upgrade any graphics cards either. The 10 year old games specs are the same and the 10 year old PC specs are the same.

Whether I would want to play a 10 year old game is another matter.

So if PC gamers need to constantly upgrade, then console gamers do as well. Console gamers upgrade from PS1 to PS2, then PS2 to PS3. After PS3, there will be another console upgrade along with a new generation of £45 games.

PC gamers upgrade as well. But we don't HAVE TO upgrade inbetween console generations if our PCs are already more powerful than the consoles - unless we CHOOSE TO.

19. javaman

tron, damn you write so clearly.....can you edit my posts for me xD

20. Warrior24_7

You've spent more on accessories than anything else? Consoles have HUGE amounts of "hidden" charges? Why? Who told you to buy a "travel set", "light gun", "multi-tap" or extra PSP case, (it comes with one doesn't it?). This isn't an "upgrade", it's just extra crap! I also noticed that you mentioned "re-chargable" batteries for the PC's keyboard, but failed to mention that for the 360's "wireless" controller, which that "charge" could of been eliminated had you purchased a charging station or a "wired" controller! Also, where are all those "other" PCs that all those keyboards belonged too, why aren't "they" listed, with all the stuff purchased for them as well? EXACTLY!! The 360 does charge for using Xbox live (which you don't need an internet connection to play any game), but Sony's PSN and Nintendo's service are free! Where as you pay $180 per year to play WoW, plus the initial cost of the game! Wow! Look, anybody can skew a list to try and prove a point. This isn't stuff you needed, it's stuff you wanted! You can play ANY console game with no internet needed, that can't be said for the vast majority of PC games, which is another "hidden" cost! You may even have to "upgrade" your PC to even play the game, have pay the internet charges AND the subscription fees just to play the game! You can also trade in console games for discounts, PC games you can't, you can buy used console games at reduced prices, PC games you can't, you can play console games multiple times with no activation limits, many PC games you can't, and sell your console games without hassle, PC games you can't. Console gaming is by far and away the easiest AND cheapest way to game...period!

Tags: Add Tags