1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips How do you clean a lens?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Guest-18698, 27 Dec 2009.

1. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

hey people, i was putting my compact camera away and my little finger touched the lens. and has left a small print on it. now what is the correct way to clean this without scratching or damaging the camera :(

so annoyed

2. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I use almost exclusively the Lenspen.

Brush the particles away with the pen first and then clean the grease with the other end.

Often I also breathe on the lens a bit and then sweep it clean with the carbon end of the pen.

Darkened

3. Vers

Vers ...

Some hot breath and a lens pen/soft fabric (sometimes a t-shirt or sweater, depending on what I'm wearing :))

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

breath to mist the surface, highlights the grease you see, then wipe from the centre outward, because most the time if there is anything there to scratch it'll be at the edge of the lens so best not drag that across the lens.

worst time i have ever had was tree sap, it dripped of a pine tree and impacted smack bang in the centre of the lens, which during its travels picked up small particulates of bark and soil.

The clean up i thought would cause more damage then good, so I left the lens in the warm to let the sap dry over a weeks, until one day it just came off like a dried up scab, you'd never know it was there!

5. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

You can use those cloths you get from the optician - incidently they also come with a lot of Apple products - such as the macbook pro and the ipod touch..

For anything more stubborn I use a Digiklear Sensorkleen pen thing.

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

^
    What they said! :)

Also

Just be careful not to go hogwild on it and scratch it - like I did with my $1100 lens! :D

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yep lens cleaning tissue.. works good for cleaning anything glass too

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I use 220 grit sandpaper. 110 if there are some really tough spots.

Burnout21 likes this.
  9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Usually my t-shirt

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

+rep

personally i prefer to use a arbour and sand disc in my electric drill, usually 50 grit!

11. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I tried your method but I actually ended up discovering hat if I drilled away all the glass stuff the lens became unscratchable! Best glass treatment ever!

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

lens pen. If that doesn't work, pec pads with Eclipse optical solution.

13. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

3M Scotchbrite pads work quite well I've heard.

Seriously though, glasses cloth or a lens pen.

14. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Using a fresh lens cloth I soak one side with Purosol cleaner and start wiping from the center out in a circular direction and after reaching the edge turn the cloth over and repeat the same step with the dry side. Keep in mind I wear powder-free latex gloves to avoid getting skin oil on the cloth.

This method works great for cleaning large glass elements. I have tried lenspens and they leave a bluish smear on coated glass. Purosol is the only glass cleaner I have found never leaves reside on the glass after drying. Cheaper cleaning solutions from Giottos leave suspended oil reside and dried pools of cleaner to buff off later.

15. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

You guys are awful. Love it :thumb:

16. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Srsly, I just breath on them and use my t shirt. I blow first if shooting in dust. I might dip a cocktail napkin into a vodka cocktail if the spot is stubborn. There is an ongoing Smirnov vs. skyy debate amongst event shooters. and, no, I'm not kidding; just go to the hotel bar after a big event and listen.

Any lens made since the 80's has a final coat on it that is nigh on impossible to scratch. unless you are outlawaol, of course.

I have even stopped using lens caps, tbh. err...front ones any way.

The next time I'm passing through london we should get drinks (or anywhere, I like drinks) and I'll tell you about the Ferrari staff photog...scariest woman ever....what she did to that lens made even me weep.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2010
  17. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Now I am going to be wondering the rest of today.

And as for cleaning, dont even bother, just buy a new one. No matter how clean you think you may be getting the lens, there will always be that nagging suspicion at the back of your mind that it wasn't good enough. The nightmares and cold sweats aren't worth it.

(OT: lens cloth, lens pen, soccer jersey)

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I have an UV-filter on all my lenses just so I wouldn't have to touch the actual lense. The filters aren't free either, but atleast I can just sweep it clean with just about anything without breaking to tears.

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its common sense i thought, a £10 investment to protect against scratches on a expensive lens.

20. Vers

Vers ...

Common sense tells you to place low quality glass in front of high(er) quality glass? My common sense tells me to always use a lens hood and be mindful of my equipment :)