1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Games to Watch in 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

i'm one of the very few people in this world who has until very recently not played on an xbox360 or PS3... recently moved closer to my family and played on my bro's PS3 and his mate's Xbox, and i have to say, i am utterly, let me repeat that, UTTERLY disappointed with the graphics and gameplay on most of the - no ALL of the games i've played so far.

Left 4 dead on the xbox is fun, but my (now ageing) 8800GT delivers a FAR FAR FAR better experience than the xbox does, i was so surprised at how low the detail was and how the use of AA is something we PC gamers hold all to ourselves.

People actually pay £40 per game for that drivel??? do they really really pay that much for such dated graphics and gameplay?? Is it real?

coupled with a lowly 1366x768 resolution on a massive 32" TV it really does look pants... and yet there are games being released for it EXCLUSIVELY???

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  3. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Yes, I have to agree that EP3 is Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay late.
    Episodic games ? Where did that go wrong....

4. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Bad Company 2 - actually on the PC this time! Can't wait for that; 2nd March (assuming it isn't pushed back for PC release)
    Bioshock 2 - Feb 9th as far as I'm aware, the good old Bioshock with multi-player! If they can pull that off well then I'll definitely get it!

5. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I think you'll find that's an issue with the TV. Chances are it's connected via VGA, and that's the max res the TV supports on that connection. Run it over HDMI or Component at 1080 and you'll likely notice that things look a lot better.

6. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i also feel as others do that this year sounds a little weak, i wont be buying anything from the sounds of it, on any platform (possibly new pes but thats a given). Last year was a little flat too, with nothing new, but the year before if memory serves(2008) was quite good, not sure why but my brain is telling me we were a little spoilt.

wait, new bf3 coming out on pc this year isnt it, why isnt that in the line up? bf is the best fps bar none...or has that been delayed until 2011 now?

7. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

oh baby, just read that supcom2 was coming out from another post, the sequel to the best rts ever made and that heap o shite c&c was mentioned but not this....just been watching the trailers and supcom 2 gives me a hardon, it looks awesome! i'm gunna waste hours playing that bad boy online!

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh, all right, ten minutes. This did involve sitting through all the bad writing at the start, some more bad writing just after the train stops, meeting the unconvincing masked bad guys, the even more unconvincing "mad professor" characterisation which might have worked as a repetitive joke in the first Half Life but is merely laughable in the sequel, the pathetic attempts to milk a cult of personality around Gordon Freeman that doesn't really exist, and all the way up to the point where the maddening flying things began attacking me.

It's fine, it's just not anything to do with Half Life, and so loving the tits off it on the basis that it's a sequel is even more misguided than that line of thought usually is.

And Deus Ex is much more possibly game of the decade.

9. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

lol

said like a true non-PC gamer.. of course its HDMI.. its a brand new Sony Bravia 32" TV, left 4 dead looks absolutely horrible. 1366x768 (or 1080i for those of you who don't understand what a resoution is) IS the native resolution of the TV... Just to prove you wrong, my PC plays on the same TV via VGA (same native resolution of 1366x768), and same game looks gorgeous (on a 2 year old mid range graphics card)

Last edited: 6 Jan 2010
  10. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

i suppose what i'm getting at is this...

PC gamers get the best visuals, and have to constantly defend the platform from their non-geek friends who spend all their money on xbox games, whereas xbox owners THINK that the game looks brilliant, cos its better than their PS2, and they don't realise that the experience is sub-par, clunky, out of date and ridiculously overpriced.

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Fanboys of the world, UNITE!

:eyebrow: :sigh:

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Anybody else not excited by any of those?
    :blah:

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Well.. it is BT's staff opinions after all, soo it's ok if you don't agree :p

15. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

no driving games mentioned... i for one was hoping that the codemasters new F1 game will be a valid replacement for GRiD to serve my "beat-ze-germans" fetish.

nevermind, there's always the lacetti round spa to do that... :)

16. fadi299

fadi299 What's a Dremel?

i forgot to menion Mafia 2 & Dead Space 2..

17. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

They're making a game of Metro 2033? Cool, the book was a quite good read imo. Hopefully there'll be an "easy" game mode that is actually easy, unlike Stalker...

18. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Alpha Protocol and Splinter Cell look ace.

And BF Bad Company looks interesting.

Other than that, nothing hugely excites me.

Anyone know when Thief 4 is coming? It was announced ~autumn 2009 I think?

19. SoulRider

SoulRider What's a Dremel?

I'm a little dissapointed in the seeming trend towards mainstream commercial games. Where are the hotly anticipated games that people are really waiting for?

In my years of browsing the site, I've not come across any interviews with Unknown Worlds Entertainment about their phenomenonally succesful Half-Life mod Natural Selection (The biggest Third Party mod and at one stage the 3rd most popular mod after CS and DOD which were both Valve games by then.

Nor have I seen any interviews about their amazing looking full commercial sequel, Natural Selection II, which is being developed on their own in-house Spark engine and if you pre-order, you have access to their alpha tools, so you can begin creating level content, with the best content having a possibility of making it into the released game. the entire engine is wrapped in LUA so it will be 100% open and moddable. They even have an open development process where they regularly share information with their loyal community and they get 1,000s of responses to each of their news updates, which they actually listen to and take on board. This is gaming the way it should be developed, and is going to be one of the most beautiful and original games to appear in a long time. Is it getting to the stage where truly original gaming ideas and companies, even if they have a massive community, are not considered interesting enough for Bit-Techs readers?

I love keeping up to date with the Hardware and other sections of the site, but the gaming coverage is getting too much like the pop charts. If big independent games like this do not fit within the field of these kind of Bit-Tech reports, is there any chance of making somewhere where these soon to be massive games are given a chance to get some coverage?

20. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

They are releasing a FPS that interacts with the MMO universe.
    Also introducing walking about on stations and planetary combat.

i didnt mean to sound so negative, i just dont hold alot of hope for new releases these days, especially with EA tainting any good series of games

Tags: Add Tags