1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Fermi - native multi screen + 3D vision

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Delphium, 7 Jan 2010.

1. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

It would appear that the upcoming Fermi card will have native support for 3D vision across tripple screens off a single card.

This should be quite the contender to ATi's latest offering, with Nvidia to likely be supporting CUDA and PhysX also.

Surround Yourself with NVIDIA 3D Vision Technology

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

If the cards have the grunt to power that resolution in 3D, it's impressive. If they can actually make a 3D experience that doesn't hurt the eyes, even better. However, colour me skeptical about both for the moment.

It's also a driver issue more than anything else, as nVidia has said it'll work with GT200 cards.

I should hope they support their technologies after all the fuss they've made of them! I still insist neither is a deal-maker for me yet, though.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Sorry OP, but honestly, who cares? You think that 99% of gamers care about 3D vision, or triple screens, or CUDA, etc? Because they really don't. Theres only one thing that matters, which is how fast is the card for how much money. Thats it. All these gimmicks really suggests to me that nVidia have an inferior card and they know it.

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That doesn't make sense at all, and just comes across as ranting fanboy nonsense. Assuming your theory that gamers don't care about multiple monitor or 3D support is correct, which it isn't, then surely by the same token you could say Eyefinity is just a gimmick?

Of course, there is the option that both nVidia and ATI know it's features that sell cards just as much as raw power....

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'm not a fanboy in the slightest. I have an nVidia card myself, and use dual monitors. And I fail to see how my comments "don't make sense at all". I was very clear - the vast majority of gamers care solely about the speed relative to price of the graphics card, not other "features". So when I see threads about these features/gimmicks, I point out that people honestly don't care. Its simply about tech companies being able to issue press releases and bang the drum for publicity.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

actually multimonitor support is very useful. Never under estimate the value of extra desktop space. Better than having to get 2 GPU's to get that.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I think you come under the category of "I haven't tried it/don't like it so no one else must be interested in it".

All Nvidia have done is equal what ATI have done with Eyefinity and the 5xxx series, and gone one better by adding 3D support. Make no mistake, 3D is going to be the future of gaming whether in its current form or not. They're just giving people the option if they want it, and I'm pretty sure there are people that do.

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

nVidia haven't done anything, until they tell us they have in March.

Fermi might be any number of things, but right now it's just vaporware. There's no point getting excited/angry about it until we KNOW what it can do.

9. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

still waiting, just wish they come out faster.
    extra features and stable speed is always fantastic

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I am waiting to see what Fermi does before I upgrade - CUDA Encoding is quite an important feature to me.

Then again, if ATI released an Encoder using Stream, OpenCL or even DirectCompute I'd be very tempted!

Multimonitors are useful, but I already use two, neither of which is 120Hz capable, so wouldn't be able to do 3D AFAIK.

Only a few weeks to see what's going on, and I'm sure my trusty 8800GT can cope till then, so we shall see!