1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Watercooling my rig, and i need help badly!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xxhellspawnedxx, 5 Jan 2010.

1. xxhellspawnedxx

xxhellspawnedxx What's a Dremel?

@pdf27 - Yeah, the radiator can, as far as i can tell, be put the either way around, its just a matter of tube length, so it shouldn't really be a problem. But also, as bagman says, i can just detach the radiator when i prime the system and put it upside down to get any air bubbles out of the system, and then again when/if i start to hear glugging noises. The tube ports are on the lower back of the casing, so it would be nice if the fittings were there as well :p

And yeah, i know the less bends the tubing has, the better. The "s-bend" will be more like a common bend ( like a C ), its just hard to illustrate a bend going towards your point of view in a 2d enviroment.

About the harddrives, i can probably move them up another notch, yeah. The big problem then would be that they would get hotter, since theres no fan in the top drive bay. But i guess the ambient air temperature inside the case will go down with the watercooling running, making this a non-issue. HDDs usually doesnt produce much heat, to my knowledge.

Pictures are appreciated! :thumb:

2. pdf27

pdf27 What's a Dremel?

Except the head at the pump is the pressure differential across the whole loop. The absolute pressure at the radiator will be lower if it's a long way above the pump (and if it's more than the head capability of the pump the water will never get up there). However, because the water will regain the lost head when it comes down again from the radiator from a system point of view it makes no difference whatsoever.

If you don't believe me, try running a siphon between two buckets of water. The water can go much higher than the water level in either bucket with no pump to push it - and exactly the same principle applies here.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

even with the buckets, you will notice a drop in flow rate the higher you go. This is all i am trying to point out.

That would be a lot of load on the pump.

4. pdf27

pdf27 What's a Dremel?

Yes, but that's down to the fact that you're using a longer length of tube.

5. xxhellspawnedxx

[​IMG]

This was the kind of mounting i had in mind, though i thought of attaching the mounting to the top portion of the rad rather than the middle portion. That would put the fittings at roughly the same height as the tube ports on the case, and help avoid unneccessary bends on the tubes.

6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

the rad is too long you have to atch it in the middle but the tubes will be able to striaht through the expansion slots

7. xxhellspawnedxx

Ah, fair enough. As said, i havent taken the time to measure things yet, gotta get my ass outta the wagon and do it soon :D

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

here is a good tip always cut your tubes too long and see how everything conects up

9. pdf27

pdf27 What's a Dremel?

About the only things not watercooled inside this case are going to be the HDDs, MOSFETs and chipsets. It can't be beyond the wit of man to duct some air over the hard drives with a bit of cardboard or something....

10. xxhellspawnedxx

Never actually thought of that o.o Good idea, that'll sort it out, if it needs sorting out :)