1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Scan.co.uk and returns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 7 Jan 2010.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

From the sounds of it, I would say scan are doing nothing wrong.

They are agreeing to replace the product which was damaged due to installation under scansure. Once you've got this replacement you could then sell it as brand new, so you shouldn't lose too much.

What is the item if you don't mind me asking? I mean if we're talking about something dirt cheap then I think your making too much of a fuss, if its something worth quite a bit, then the situation may be slightly different.

2. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

So first you ordered the wrong part, and then you damaged it.

doh ! Perhaps stick to pre-built ?

I've not used scan but if i ever got burnt by them i just wouldn't use them again, it's a fierce market and their's plenty of other e-tailers.

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

That's what I don't understand. If you had just asked for a refund from the word go, and not told them that it wasn't compatible, or that it was your fault, then by all means they should give you a refund. I mean, if you told them about it within those 7 days. Then fine. But the minute you made the mistake with ordering the wrong part, and you damaged it well, that's that isn't it.

Thing is, call me a sneaky sod, but if I bought a part for my PC, and I managed to fry it, or damage it, where it wasn't clearly visible that I had caused the damage, then hell, I'd get on that phone and tell them it was dead on arrival, and that I want a refund.

Oh well.

4. giskard

giskard System builder

Thanks for the patronising and ignorant reply.

I was told by Scan customer services that the part would be compatible with my system and so purchased it on that basis.

For the record it's a Corsair H50 water cooler.

The damage was a result of the product including two sets of mounting screws which look the same but have slightly different threads, but the instructions don't mention the two sets of screws, so I ended up using one incorrect screw and ended up stripping one of the female threads of the plastic rear mounting plate. A number of people have reported the same problem with the H50 since Corsair introduced the new (cheaper) plastic rear mounting plate.

5. giskard

giskard System builder

I agree. The reason for my original post is to point out that Scansure isn't all it seems, but I'm glad that I took it out when I purchased from Scan because it's a lifesaver (well, a money saver really).

It's a Corsair H50 water cooler - sixty quid new.

6. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

roughfly idea, I think scan might solve the issure more flexible rather than just get rid off.
    he paid the service, if there is anything wrong, they can help to solve, not saying, I can;t do this, I can't do that.

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Im confused are scan not replacing the part you broke under the scansure insurance??

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm just curious what platform are you useing cos that cooler is compatible with all the following LGA775 / 1156 /1366 / AMD2/ 2+ / AM3 which cover's most of them

9. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

If it's only a stripped screw can't you just bodge a solution and cut yourself the hassle? And the H50 is compatible with practically everything... which system are you mounting it on?

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

thats good point isnt.

its runs on 775/1366/AM2/AM3

not sure about 1156 though is that what u have ?

11. 13eightyfour

The original corsair H50 doesnt have a 1156 bracket, although corsair will send 1 if you email them. The updated H50-1 has brackets for all sockets iirc.

12. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Gotta say - Scan been fine here. At the point you activated Scansure you nullified DSR. Thankful that scansure saved you money, you want Scan to refund? But sorry that's getting crazy. By activating scansure you can't get a refund.

13. giskard

giskard System builder

That's my point.

14. giskard

giskard System builder

LGA1366 and it is compatible, but once the radiator is fitted, I can't shut my case side-panel.
    Before I ordered the H50, Scan's tech support guy assured me that the H50 would fit in my case.

15. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

what case do you have ?

which way did you mount the radiator ?

is a fan in the way or just that the width of the radiator is too much

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Can you not move it a bit , As I said earlier I've had similar problems with their tech which is why I always record the conversations I have with them so they cant deny what they said

Last edited: 8 Jan 2010
  17. 13eightyfour

Do you have a really small case? Ive got a H50 cooling my HTPC and it fits in that no problems at all.

18. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

rubbish - you have no point - goods arrived & you damaged them. So DSR now 100% not applicable & yet you still want Scan to protect you. You should take the scansure replacement - make the best of it & just stop bleating IMHO. Sorry to be so blunt but Scan being talked about as the bad guys here is just wrong.

19. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Spot on mate.

20. giskard

giskard System builder

How am I talking about Scan as the bad guys?

Maybe you should read my posts in this thread more carefully?

Given the circumstances (as detailed in my posts here) I'm unhappy that Scan won't consider a refund of the item that they recommended I purchase but doesn't fit my case, but I don't see how I'm slagging them off or bleating about it, I'm just pointing out what has happened (hopefully) for the benefit of others in this forum who might some day find themselves in the same position.

You're not a Scan fanboy (Scan-boy?) are you?
    :eyebrow: