1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Losing 30kg in 100 days... my little Crusade :)

Discussion in 'General' started by phinix, 3 Jan 2010.

1. dryrice

dryrice Zestious Knight

i've been going gym for the last 2 years and the best way to lose weight is to push your body beyond the limit. the cross trainer is much more better than the treadmill at start since its moving the body in rotation and setting the level to random works best. a gym is great to get you motivated into achieving the goal and after a hard sweat hitting the sauna will do justice.
    high energetic classes which works on the muscles in which you've never used before works very well.

keep up the good work phinix, motivation is the key ;)

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"Hell is paved with good intentions" --John Ray, 1670

phinix' resting heart rate is 100 bpm. When he goes up the stairs it soars to 150 bpm. He weighs 132 kg (nearly 21 st.) at 1.78m, or 5ft. 10". He should be 72 kg (11.4 st.).

That puts him about 60 kg (9.4 stone) overweight --he is almost twice as heavy as he should be. His BMI is 41.7 (morbidly obese) when it should be somewhere around 18.5-24.9.

He has no history of exercise. Now ask yourself: do you really want him to hit the cross trainer for an hour and then the sauna afterwards from this standing start? I seriously think not.

The problem is not about the calories. It is about the lifestyle. Let me explain:

There is nothing wrong with liking food and cooking. I do. But even though I do not have a weight problem I would not cook pasta with (I presume about 425ml?) bechamel sauce, which is effectively milk with about 40gr butter and 20gr. flour as a regular meal.

A love of cooking is the ideal opportunity to explore the whole range of foods that do not involve copious amounts of fat and butter. Tomato-based sauce with fresh basil or sage, perhaps? Low fat yoghurt with tarragon? All great with chicken. Then there is fish, and dishes like soubise which is basically an easy French risotto that does not require tons of fat.

There is also the issue of quantity: we tend to overestimate the amount that constitutes a normal meal. Our evolutionary past is one of famines and food scarcity. You needed to eat when you got the chance. As such we have evolved to eat when we are not really hungry, and to stop only when we are at bursting point. Modern Western society however has abundant food on tap. So before you tuck into something, ask yourself: Do I actually feel hungry? As you eat, ask yourself: Do I feel full now? Eat more slowly and you'll give your brain the time to listen to your stomach.

Basically: if you don't cook it, you don't have to resist it. Clean up your dietary act by eating better, not less.

And here is the other problem: no delay of gratification. phinix wants it all and wants it now. When he wanted food, he wanted it now; now he wants to lose weight, he wants to lose it now. He does not want to wait for the results.

This effort, no matter how motivated and well-intended, won't last. It is not sustainable. He has to continue to go to work; he has to continue functioning in his daily life. He has to carry on eating something. What he needs to do is develop a way of life that is sustainable in the long-term: eat healthier, not less; exercise moderately, but not to the point that he is too wiped out to do anything else or risks a heart attack.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2010
  3. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Losing weight is very simple
    • If you burn more calories than you eat each day - you'll lose weight
    • Exercise increases the number of calories you burn, and also increases your fitness level
    • Fitness increases your basal metabolic rate, or BMR (the number of calories you burn at rest) - So the fitter you get, the easier it will be to lose weight.
    • Lose no more than 1Kg per week or your skin wont be able to keep up and you'll have an excess.
    • Salt in your diet makes you retain water. This can make your weight fluctuate by as much as a Kg from day to day - So if the scales say you gained weight, don't be discouraged - You're still shedding fat if you stick to the first point

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Mike, please, stop the exercise. Now.

Drop your calorie intake to 2000 cals per day - this is the RDA for a woman of average weight, so you're hardly losing out.

Make sure to pack in some salad there - this will keep your metabolism going, and prevent you from consuming those calories, if you can help it (so you can save them for a treat). Fruit is a great one too - I keep a bag of small apples nearby when I'm dieting, just in case I get snacky.

Consider no food as a sin. If you start having guilt trips about food, you'll do it wrong. Remember - a giant chocolate bar can be part of a nutritious, healthy diet, if you balance it out. Same as a piece of celery can be part of a bad diet, if it's balanced incorrectly.

Once you drop below 250 pounds (18 stone), start doing light exercise. Bear in mind, this may take a while. Don't jump the gun - exercise is hard work, and at your baseline heart-rate, you're at risk of doing some serious damage. Getting from your current weight (near 21 stone) to 18 stone will take you 3 months, if you're lucky. I'd be aiming for less than this - 30 pounds, as opposed to 30kg, in 100 days. And by light, I mean a 30-60 minute walk, every day. None of this massive strain you've been putting your body under. If you must do something more strenuous, make sure it's not going to raise your heart rate to the dangerous levels it was before.

Remember, Mike, your weight is nothing to be ashamed of. If you want to lose it, more power to you. However, if you're losing it for someone else, don't. You'll just give up, and end up heavier than you were.

And PLEASE be careful. We'll all kick your ass if that Nano-Tower doesn't get finished!

Much love, dude. PM me if you need anything.

Will x

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks Will! I really appreciate your concern and help my friend!:)
    Don't worry, NanoTower will be finished, I promise! :D

Last two days went ok. I went for a walk everyday, so that can be counted as exercise instead of gym. Weather was nice, so it was pleasant.
    My dinners were mad of some potatoes and fresh made salad - cabage, carrot and 0% fat yogurt.

DAY 5

Meals:
    I had 4 small meals during the day
    Total: ~ 1500cal
    Exercise time: 40 minutes walk to the park.

Yesterday we had a little party, so last meal was at 20:00, which would be breaking my "no food after 18:00" rule, if I didn't go to sleep at 1:40am:) So still my last meal was more than 5 hours before I hit the pillow.
    I had some alcohol during the party, ate some icecream, but really small portion compared what Ive been eating before. That is why my total calories taken is about 2K that day. Anyway, I still had some exercise in form of an hour walk.

DAY 6

Meals:
    I had 3 small meals during the day and nice party dinner at 20:00 (grilled stuffed turkey tit with mushrooms:)
    After snacks: 2 mandarines, alcohol (2 drinks), small portion of icecream (max 200cal)
    Total: ~ 2000cal
    Exercise time: 1 hour walk to the park.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

good work that looks very sustainable

how much have you lost after 1 week of the diet. (dont be discouraged if it is not as much as you hoped may take a while for it to kick in)

also hate to harp on about it but please include your fluid intake!!

7. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

This day, I like. Lots of food intake, but calories are controlled. A nice gentle walk, a bit of a snack (but not over-doing it), and you even managed to squeeze some booze and ice-cream in there!

Some of my favourite items of food when I was dieting were:

Turkey bacon - it's not the same as normal bacon, but slap a couple of slices in a bun, whack on a blob of brown sauce, and you'll not be able to tell. Only 25 calories per rasher too.
    1-calorie oil spray - while you'll need about 10-15 sprays of this stuff per pan, it's infinitely healthier than oil. Plus, there are some things that you can't really bake (see aforementioned bacon sandwiches)
    Sugar-free jelly crystals - my saviour. Make the jelly up in pint glasses (ideally plastic ones, since they won't crack from the hot water), put them in the fridge. 40 calories per pint (although I'd often turn a blind eye...), and they'll fill you up really well. Also satisfy sweet cravings.
    Mini Mars bars in the freezer - much harder to eat if they're frozen, so one will last a good 5 minutes. For when chocolate cravings kick in badly, and nothing else will suffice.

I used to make a lot of soups, too. Recipes available on request!

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

remember to eat breakfast, it'll help fill you up for the rest of the day.

9. Nexxo

Much better. :thumb: This is sustainable change. Keep in mind to drink a reasonable amount of fluids, and that alcohol will hit you harder when you are dieting.

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

DAY 7

Meals:
    I had 4 small meals during the day:
    Breakfast, 2 slices of Wasa bread with soft cheese 0% fat with tomato and cucumber and two boiled eggs;
    Lunch - bowl of vegie soup;
    Dinner - rice noodles with turkey tits and boiled chunks carrots and parsley roots with few drops of soy sauce for taste.
    Supper - two slices of black rice bread with ham and tomatoes and mug of beetroot soup.
    After snacks: 2 mandarines
    Drinks: couple of teas, one coffe, glass of cold milk (I love cold milk), few glasses of water, still (I hate still water, it makes me puke - any suggestions for substitute?)
    Total: ~ 1800cal
    Exercise time: 1 hour walk to the park.

I didn't add drinks for any of the days before, but I always drink some water and milk....
    Checking weight - I think I will do that every 10 days.. no point stressing out:)

Last edited: 13 Jan 2010
  11. Nexxo

No point checking weight more often than every 2 weeks. Weight will fluctuate naturally by up to 2 lbs. on a daily basis, depending on what you eat and drink and how much you, well, excrete on the toilet that day.

12. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

Yea much better to do weigh ins on a weekly or every other weekly intervals, That way you actual can tell the weight loss rather than speculating.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yep, thats what I'm gonna do, thanks Nexxo. I had to look after few days and I scared myself, but then few days later was a lot better, so likeyou said - I will check it next week...

14. Nexxo

Also keep in mind that when obese, at first you will lose a lot of weight. As you get closer to your healthy weight, those last pounds will be a real struggle.

Moreover, as you exercise you will swap fat for muscle, and muscle is four times as heavy as fat. Hence, as you approach healthy weight you may actually not lose any more even though you are becoming fitter and more toned.

It's better to look ripped than skinny. :D

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Oh, I would like that! :)

DAY 8

Meals:
    Breakfast - sandwich with ham
    Lunch - bowl of vegie soup;
    Dinner - potatoes and loads of cabage salad.
    Supper - one slice of black bread with ham, one pancake.
    After snacks: none
    Drinks: couple of teas, two coffies, glass of cold milk, one glass of gin with tonic
    Total: ~ 1600cal
    Exercise time: none....

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

DAY 9

Meals:
    Breakfast - sandwich with tuna
    Lunch - bowl of vegie soup+ piece of roll;
    Dinner - potatoes andtomato and fried fish (3 small pieces).

After snacks: Activia
    Drinks: couple of teas, 4 coffies, glass of apple juice mixed with still water
    Total: ~ 1700cal
    Exercise time: none....

17. pennyman86

pennyman86 What's a Dremel?

Nice work keep it going. Have you ever tried Crystal Light just put them in the water you are drinking, its a sweetener but is not that bad for you since you cant drink water.
    Once you make this into a life change then you will never think about stopping. The best part of my job is i have a gym here so everyday at lunch when I used to go eat all the fast food and nasty crap, I work out started out slow with level 1 for 20 mins on the eliptical barely making it, Now i can do level 9 for 45 minutes. So keep at it making small improvements when you can.

Update on my weight loss this week has been good was off work for 5 days for my bday and still lost weight. Right now I am at 201 from 255 when i pass 200 that will be for the first time since like sophmore year in highschool I just turned 23 on the 7th so awhile ago. For my birthday I finaly let my family get me some pants since all of them were falling off Went from a 38 waist to a 34. I might post a before and So far picture if you guys want.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks mate!

Another day passed...

DAY 10

Meals:

Breakfast - cornbeef sandwich
    Lunch - 1 slice of black bread with 0% fat soft cheese, banana, mandarine
    Dinner - 3 slices of bread with 3 boiled eggs, 2 teaspoons of mayonese:(

After snacks: none
    Drinks: one tea, 2 coffies
    Total: ~ 1700cal
    Exercise time: none

19. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

DAY 11

Meals:

Breakfast - nothing...
    Lunch - bowl of rice and chicken soup
    Dinner - boiled rice with chicken and sauce
    Supper: 2 slices of Wasa bread with ham

After snacks: few dry plums.. I mean "stoned prunes"
    Drinks: 2 coffies, 5 teas, glass of juice
    Total: ~ 1300cal
    Exercise time: none

Today wasn't a good day, cause from the moment I woke up I had stomachache through the whole day. I still feel sick a bit, don't know what happened.
    Anyway that is why I had only about 1300 calories today, just bowl of soup at work, then dinner at 18:00. I had a lot fo tea for my stomach, still drinking... I hope I will feel batter tomorrow.

Little headsup what I'm going to make from Saturday's dinner. Something that is VERY good and still not a lot of calories. It will be stuffed chicken tit with 0% fat feta cheese and mashrooms, wrapped with parma ham. I love it, will show some pics this weekend and will tell all how to make it and how many caloried it has:)

Last edited: 15 Jan 2010