1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why I think Gran Turismo 5 is delayed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 14 Jan 2010.

1. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

2. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

your forgetting the best one of all.... Forza 3 but yeah I totally agree, they are going to have to create something pretty special to rival the latest batch of racers

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

What's wrong with the Nissan Micra? It's an awesomely stupid car, specially the K11 Super S 1.3!!!

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Even when the was no competition Gran turismos have always been delayed so I doubt the competition have much to do with it, though it is fair to say the competition have upped their game a lot.

I've not played grid beyond the demo so perhaps I've not seen the best of it but its just seemeed like arcadey pap with pretty graphics, maybe I need to look again. My main thought was that these guys had lost thier way since Toca/Race Driver series.

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I don't think Sony care about GRID. It's a new IP geared against a successful franchise. They'd care more about Forza.

Also, I'd wager the delay is in order to add 3D in.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

They've been running demos of GT with 3D well over a year now, I reckon that they changed the structure to make it more accessible and realized from the global panning GT PSP got for lack of structure etc. that they have to change it.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Forza 2 was the racing game of 2007-2008.

8. Cutter McJ1b

Bah, of course they care about GRID. It makes GT look like a s*** sandwhich. And that's coming from someone that had more of a love affair with GT than with GRID!

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

But it's not console exclusive and therefore isn't judged as being as much of a threat, unlike Forza. I also promise you that it hasn't sold a fraction near as well as either title.

10. Cutter McJ1b

That's true, but it still makes their game look lame by comprison. All I'm saying is that I think Polyphony Digital realised they are gonna need to up their game and break through some new barriers if they want to release something that will make an impression on people.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Driving gets any better than Need for Speed: Porsche with force feedback?
    *ducks under the carpet again*
    :D

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

GRID a major competitor to GT? Seriously?

GRID looks OK, but can you really say it looks better than this or this? Take away all the fluff, and GT5 has much more detailed and realistic car models and lighting. This is why it takes so long to develop, and why it keeps getting delayed.

I'd also disagree the competition has stepped up. Back when I was playing the first GT, I also used to play a lot of other racing games like the old (and good) Colin McRae games and F1 sims. Now, I find nothing interests me in the same way as these games did and the GT games always have. F1 sims have all but disappeared and the Colin McRae series is now a disgrace to the name, transformed into a general off road racing game. Give me a pure rally sim godammit!

The only racing game I have interest in now is GT5. Everything else has been marred by a liberal application of the arcade brush to cater to those with short attention spans. I suppose Forza is the only game that is comparable to what GT offers these days, which is why Joe is right in saying that's its main competitor, although I haven't played it so I can't say whether it offers the same level of realism that GT does. Die hard GT fans won't like GRID, it's that simple. They're mutually exclusive groups of people.

And on the subject of damage, that's something I really don't give a crap about. The first thing I will be doing when my copy goes in my PS3 is turning it off. Damage is for hyperactive kids who are too used to playing NFS and adds nothing to gameplay (and even detracts from it) unless it is implemented properly (AFAIK it's only cosmetic in GT5).

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

That's one of the dafter things i have heard all day. Damage adds nothing to gameplay? Of course it does, even more so in more sim based racers like Forza and GT. I would argue the exact opposite, that no damage detracts from the experience. It makes you far more careful when driving, like you would actually be, since damaging your engine, brakes, transmission, wheels etc all have a realistic effect on the cars performance.

Frankly, I am incredibly surprised that a "die hard" GT fan thinks damage is a bad thing. The whole sentence is hypocritical.

While I agree that in games like NFS it is purely for fun and the looks, but when implemented in to a game like Forza or GT, and done properly (like Forza, and to an extent GRID and Dirt) it is an awesome thing to behold and an incredible addition to a car game.

14. Cutter McJ1b

I lol'ed :D

15. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Damage is only any good in a racing game that has descent AI, Forza 3 is a prime example. I shouldnt have to use the rewind function because some AI driver has effectively taken me out. Ive had this loads in FM3 in fact i dont think ive used the rewind function because of a mistake ive made.

I like driving games to have damage, but when the AI acts like 12 year old NFS players, id rather it wasnt there tbh.

Im not a newb, I dont drive slow my times in FM3 are all in the top 1%.

16. Cutter McJ1b

I didn't say it's a competitor. It was released years ago. How could it be? I said that I believe releases such as GRID made the GT team realise they need to step up the mark after the Prologue which seemed an example of the lameness that was on the cards at that point. As for die hard GT fans not being interested in GRID - well I was. GT was the only racing game I was remotely interested in playing for years, let alone spending hundreds of hours on.

As for the videos, I'm sure it will look great. I won't take a Youtube vid for the real deal though. Some footage rendered in a massive resolution and then spanned down to make it look as sexy as possible isn't really comparable to the real game on a PS3 and a TV. But yes, I've no doubt that it will look good when it comes out. God knows it better be a far cry from the Prologue.

All I'm saying is that I think the constant delays are because the racing game competition is immeasurably tougher than the when the original four GT titles are released, and that is something that has largely come around since the release of Prologue.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2010
  17. Cutter McJ1b

+1

18. stewis

stewis What's a Dremel?

without damage its just so easy and tempting to use the barriers and other cars as breaks instead of dropping the cars anchors... i remember doing it in GT1 on the PS1 ages ago...

19. death_munky

death_munky F*** the dremel, i'll use my teeth

I've plenty of experience from both the arcade racing side (burnout series) and the simulation racing side (GT3+4, Forza, all the Simbin titles) and the one thing Race Driver: Grid gave me over the GT series was enjoyment as you weren't having to hammer round the same track trying to string three perfect laps together to beat the annoyingly consistent Toyota THAT NEVER MOVED OFF THE PERFECT LINE AND PUNTED YOU OFF AT THE SLIGHTEST CONTACT

Sorry went a bit Bruce Banner remembering the frustration of trying to complete them.
    My only gripes about Grid were the stupid Ravenwest bits and the gimps online who kept going the wrong way to crash into you

20. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

for me Gran Turismo peaked at GT2, it was the right balance of realism and fun that was lost in GT3 and abandoned in GT4

Tags: Add Tags