1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 - Windows update service is missing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by UncertainGod, 17 Jan 2010.

1. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Recently I notice that one of my windows 7 boxes (7 ultimate x64) has received any updates lately and when I went to change the settings got told that the service wouldn't start so I looked in services.msc to find that the windows update service isn't even listed.
    I have had a look around and this seems to be quite an odd issue and I'm personally out of ideas as to what has happened and how to rectify it, any suggestions?

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Reinstall would solve that. As annoying as that is to do anyway... lol

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Any not blazingly obvious suggestions?

4. outlawaol

Hey, I am captain obvious sometimes. So sue me! lol :D

Well, I would google the problem and see if your win7 install disc can reinstall the service without a complete reinstall. :p

5. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

is it a legal copy dude? cos if not that's probably your problem :D

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Well I guess it's not just the quality of the mainsite articles that has been falling of late but the forum members as well.

7. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

^ is that aimed at me? :/ it's a decent question, if you've got a dodgy copy then the update facility won't work. so if i get that out the way i can think of something else. i'm trying to help mate, remember that

8. outlawaol

Well good gosh man, service problems are usually enough to reinstall the whole stupid OS, dont take the advice by all means. Feel free spending countless hours trying to reinstall the service without losing any windows settings. Have fun!

9. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's a legit copy of 7 x64 running on a pretty standard AMD rig with everything using stock settings. It was fine and the only software it runs are games, AV (microsoft security essentials) and the built in anti-malware & firewall. The built in maintenance routines in 7 don't detect any issue as I don't believe they check for the existence of services just to see if they are running or not so the action centre just keeps telling me to start the service which I can't do as it isn't there.
    I have tried invoking the service from the command line with
    Code:
    sc config wuauserv start= auto
    but it comes back with "The specified service does not exist" which is kind of pissing me off.

And no that wasn't aimed at you mjm25 but captain moronical up there.

10. outlawaol

Well, I did try to help dude. I have delt with my fair share of MS related problems. And I have found it more fulfulling and rewarding not spending 3-4 hours trying to fix it when the whole OS is messed up. A simple 30-45 mins of OS reinstall is much easier and less time consuming (and less frustrating).

mjm25 likes this.
  11. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Fixed it, wucltux.dll, wuaueng.dll & wups2.dll were corrupted somehow, replaced re-registered and windows update is go again. A simple logical solution that doesn't resort to the drastic panic attack that others might resort too.

12. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

well Mr outlawaol has more rep than i!

i was gonna say if you have a make a new folder on your desktop and rename it

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

you can go thru and check that your services are all ticked and checked, it was on the bit-tech blog a few days ago, pretty handy even now you've fixed your prob. although after you've said how you fixed it i'm not sure that would have helped you anyway.. just sent you down the wrong path. glad your woes are over!

13. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Do you feel confident they were the only three files on the entire machine to be corrupted?

If not, what are your next steps?

Working out what else could be affected by the "somehow" event could be tricky. You could try an "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt and see if it shows anything up, I would be suprised if three files from one service were the only files affected.

I personally would be more concerned with finding out why some of my core OS files became corrupted. Hardware issues would be my first thought, how confident are you in your drives?

Good luck with tracking down the further issues your machine may has. If it was me, I'd probably run a few scans etc and leave it as that unless things threw up an issue, but when everything went a-over-t a few months down the line I'd doubt my original decision was the right one.

As always if you ever suspect you may have drive issues (You have files corrupted!) make sure you can restore any data from your backups that you hold precious. Many people don't backup, and many who backup don't ever test they can restore.

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Jan 2010
  14. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's tracked down, housemates account on the machine tried to do some stuff he wasn't allowed to do, ended up killing the AV, windows update & system restore with an infection, cleaned it all out now and deleted his account from all my machines, no more games for him and he better hope I don't find someone to replace him in here before his contract runs out.