1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ProJeCt : ToTecHniKa by AnG3L (09 April - Totechnika's video)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AnG3L, 3 Sep 2009.

1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks bro! I wish I knew man, but as you can see it has tremendous amount of work both art and on the case, hopefully in 2 months I will be done.... !

2. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

That pyrographing is seriously smart looking :) Great work.

3. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thank you woody my friend! Happy New Year to you my friend!

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

A quick note as I promised about the mod and the meanings of the symbols I used:

(Frame of side panel) Border Patterns. Used by weavers and silversmiths alike to establish boundaries and as designs in their own right. The Hopi silversmiths have made great use of these patterns in their overly jewelry. Many of the recurring spirals and whorls are connected with bean sprouts, life leaping out, cycles of life, and perpetual renewal.

(Side panel)The Eagle. Master of the skys. A carrier of prayers. Many Indian Nations honor this bird as possessing courage, wisdom, and a special connection to the creator. Often confused with the "thunder bird". The Eagle is considered a protector, the sky spirit, and a symbol associated with visions & spirits

(Reservoir)WOLF Intelligence & Leadership - Strong Sense of Family

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

An update will be here in a couple of days. I had to do the top cabinet from the beginning cause I dint like it so more work for me .... again! I will show you a new painting technique so stay tuned guys!!! Cya!

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

First off all I want to thank you guys for watching and commenting in my thread!
    Here I am (again! lol) with one more update. Forget the old cabinet, I didnt like it, cause the aluminum with all that fiberglass and isopon was a mess at the end , so I changed the design AND the materials!

First lets see the creation of the totem's top and bottom extra parts. I did that for 2 reasons. As you can see in the most wooden parts I add a red acrylic for contrast and 3d effect (depth and frame) and also to adjust their height to grow larger for the cabinets sake ! ;P

Classic jigsaw cutting with blade for wood ( off course!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the jigsaw for the acrylics too but with different blade.

[​IMG]

Dremel for fine cuts.

[​IMG]

And sanding drum for the perfection (almost! )

[​IMG]

Sanding with fine grit the edges of both, wood and acrylic to make a perfect finish!

[​IMG]

Using strong epoxy glue to attach the parts on the totems!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I told you before I decided to create a new cabinet with a new design and materials.
    First of all, this is a reddish plywood and I am going to use it for the bottom part and the sides. Here are the cuts. Jigsaw first and the files for finalizing.

[​IMG]

Here are the sides

[​IMG]

The bottom part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I am testing the way I am going to attach the sides. I used wooden Γ frame with glue for wood to attach the pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the other part. As you can see I am using glue on both sides and theres a reason for that. You want the wood to absorb the glue and then create a bond in both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the same method I attached the sides on the bottom part

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the same wooden frame also on the top side of the cabinet for the aluminum piece to be attached there later on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the aluminum sheet and the measures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing one two, one two! :p

[​IMG]

I used this plastic hammer with this rounded wood to create the bend on the aluminum!

[​IMG]

Testing! .......Perfect fit! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added some really strong type of epoxy glue and attached the top part!

[​IMG]

Drilling the holes for the rad and on the bottom part which is going to be attached on the case's top part.

[​IMG]

Hole for the wires to pass through (power and restart button - no usb at the top)

[​IMG]

And using my dremel I cut the radiator opening and finalized that with file work!!! ;P

[​IMG]

Isopon for the imperfections !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And again.... and again.... sanding .... and again!!! :)

[​IMG]

Here I measure the angle of the extra piece I am going to add later on to cover the front part!

[​IMG]

I used some fiberglass to cover some corners and some spots I wanted and finished that with isopon and off course a lot of sanding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a lot of sanding, patching etc, the primer hour has come! Here you are going to watch and learn the teared effect technique.
    As you can see I am not using spay cans this time but a liquid special primer that is used mostly for aluminum but you can use it with wood and steel also. Its really really good and for this technique its the best you can use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To use this primer you have to put 2 parts paint and 1 part hardener and stir well.

[​IMG]

You must apply (in the are you are going to do the effect) 3-4 layers with 2 minutes break between them. Dont worry if it looks kind of messed up, after it dries you can easily sand it with fine grit for a nice smooth finish!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After half an hour the primer will become like plastic (warning: if it dries completely it creates a really strong bond with the surface and its almost impossible to remove it).
    Then you can take a sharp object or blade and create the teared effect by cutting and pulling away the excessive paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that, apply 3 layers of paint with 5 minutes break between them. Be careful to use a thin layer and be almost exact on the timing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 24 hours when the primer is dry enough, you can sand it, using 600 - 800 grit, just to remove any imperfections!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the remaining of the painting process and the rest of the usual techniques. Even though that the most surface wont be visible due to the wooden art I am going to add I had to use the same pattern with the rest of the mod.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2010
  7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here I added 3 layers of mahogany gloss varnish to give extra durability to the paint and also a darker color finish which all of the top cabinet parts will be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the next update...

The creation of the switch housing and the finalizing of the top cabinet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned guys for more modding adventures and please comment and keep this project alive with your presence and love!! :) Till next time, mod on guys! Peace

ps: Support Haiti with any way you can. These people needs our help. Thanks!

Last edited: 15 Jan 2010
  8. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Ahhh, kittens everywhere, frshhhh !

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

LoL kittens for the win!

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I would like to know if theres any shop in the UK that sells Dremel parts and ships anywhere in Europe. Thanks

11. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Anyone?

12. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Ebay is a good start. I once got a pack of 100 Dremel reinforced disks for $10 + S&H from Ebay.

Next up would probably be Amazon UK, for example you can grab these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...f_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=472398373&pf_rd_i=79903031

Also keep an eye out for sales at local hardware/hobby stores for deals. I once got a set of 15 Hitachi Titanium drill bits for $10 @ a sale.

So basically, keep an eye out both on line and locally for good deals.

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thank you my friend. Locally the prices are ridiculously high and they have only some of the products I am looking for. Basically I am looking for a DIY store that ships in Cyprus and I want it to be in Europe due to taxes. Amazon.co.uk looks like a good place so I am gonna check it out! Thanks again!

14. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Very nice work! Another interesting paint technique to learn from.
    Your building skills are pretty good, when i look at the alu and the wood fitted together.
    :thumb:

15. beccalou

beccalou What's a Dremel?

Wow Δεν μπορώ να περιμένω για να το δείτε όταν ολοκληρωθεί η αγάπη ..... το χρώμα .... xxxx

I hope that i said this right...lol

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks man! I try to do the best I can cause I dont have the required space and tools, as you can see my working bench is my bed lol

No you didnt lol I didnt understand a thing of what you said!!! Next time in English! :)

17. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Ha! I get frequent amounts of bed-top modding too.
    We don't have much but we manage. thats the modder way :D

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

LoL bed-top modding for the win brother! :)

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Really liking the texturing effect :)

20. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks brother!! ;p