1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Prime - Update: May 21st - Yes, really

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sleepstreamer, 1 Nov 2009.

1. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Hmm, I have one washer in between right now (1.5mm-ish), I guess I could try to put another one in there...

Thanks! :thumb:

Got some more pics for you this time seth :) Finished the second one today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw, do you guys think I should start using 800x600 pics instead? Or maybe my 24" monitor is just making them look small... :duh:

Thanks for watching! :clap:

Cheapskate likes this.
  2. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

Photos are clear there's no pixelisation in them, so I'd say they only look small 'coz your screen is set to max resolution, I have same problem but the photos are still good.

I'm liking the side pieces a lot, although the top and bottom bends seem out of place against the entire case as you've used corner cuts on everything but them, but don't let that dampen what your doing, its just something that sticks out for me, am sure there's a reason for it, and it'll make sense to me much later on in your build. Top notch build none the less.

3. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Nice project.You could continue with making plexi panels.Maybe dark tinted or red.keep up the good work.

4. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

Wow! Great job with hi-tech looking!
    My netbook fits 800x600 well but no more than this..

5. Sleepstreamer

Right, well I'll keep them at this size then. I haven't had any complaints about it so it should be okay.

What I've basically done is made the first design I thought of. In the second one these side pieces are cut at 45 degrees (like the rest of the case) instead of an arc, but this means I have a chance to modify them if I change my mind. Personally I think it looks good though, and I'm confident it'll look great in the end :)

I'll be accenting the sides a bit with some colored acrylic, possibly red (covering the holes that are there right now). Don't think I'll be using that much acrylic apart from there though, I think this case looks too... ehrmm... Industrial for acrylic so far, might aswell keep the all-metal look.

Yep, will stay with 640x480 for the time beeing.

6. DragonONE

DragonONE What's a Dremel?

Woow.. :D

The detail level - the way you are able to make the different parts interact is absolutely amazing :D

I DID hope for gullwings but this is indeed a cool solution ;)

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I was too entranced to remember the gull wings. -Oh well.

8. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Looking top as always Sleepstreamer!

I love the compartmentalized look of it, like it belongs on a future space ship or something :)

9. Sleepstreamer

I'm not done yet, you never know ;)

:lol:

I actually have Star Trek Enterprise running in the background which could explain why it looks that way :) Before that it was Firefly, but I ran out of episodes :/

Got a fresh update for you today, some more work on the side/sides.

Started off thinking long and hard what I should do with the exterior around the HDD-Cages, and it ended with me deciding to put a big piece fo aluminium there to cover it all up. This will be mounted to the cage itself and will slide out with it (Not yet though - didn't have any bolts that were long enough).
    Also thinking of what kind of handle I should put there (These perhaps? http://www.mnpctech.com/MnpctechBillethandleGrooved.html).

Anyway, the progress...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then some red perspex:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you might have noticed I'm simply ignoring the other side of the case right now, gotta make sure this looks good first :)

Thanks for watching!

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I am pretty sure that this mod at the end will be super duper wow fantastic brilliant unique!!!!
    Man your job never stops to amaze me ! Mod on!!!

11. DragonONE

DragonONE What's a Dremel?

Niice...

is it just me or could there be a little room left for a thin stripe of red perplex between the exterior plate and the case? - not to ripoff sethnmalice's designs but i think it would compliment the red perplex in the "airvents" very well :)

12. Sleepstreamer

Nope there isn't actually, the reason why there's a gap now is because I haven't fitted it properly (Tape). I'll use some red highlights on the plate itself, but not in the gaps. Or so I've planned at least :)

13. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Awesome. It looks more and more like Ironman second armor. It doesn't need cover, but lots of actuators to open/close.

14. Sleepstreamer

Well I'm certainly hoping it will :) Thanks man!

Don't really have the expertise for that kind of thing, but it would definately be cool.

Just wanted to let you know that this project is not dead, just ran out of sheet-metal :duh: Picked up a new batch today.

[​IMG]

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

:jawdrop:

Mommy, I know what I want for my birthday - 600kg of aluminum!

16. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

This is me being jealous. :eek:

17. Sleepstreamer

Small update:

Did some more work on the other shell today, not alot though since my workshop was freezing :brrr: Gotta wait til it's warmed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know about a pair of hinges that would work there? Don't want anything showing from the outside so they will have to be mounted on the inside of the back frame piece.

Javerh likes this.
  18. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

What about hidden hydraulic hinges remote switch driven??? I had a look online and I'm pretty sure you could make something better than what I've seen.

19. rocketjumping

rocketjumping DIY ADDICT

I know that there are some hinges for things like cabinets where all the mounting point and hinges are mounted inside the door so you don't see it.

Here's a link to them : http://www.hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=26

You could weld or epoxy them. Idk what your final finish is.

20. Sleepstreamer

Link plz!!

Those would seem to work great actually. Bolts are fine, just want the actual hinge hidden away on the inside. Thanks man :clap: