1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Cold lava~A custom WC'ing project -1st Oct- The cursed log part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bad_cancer, 17 Dec 2009.

1. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

LOL, Thank you!
    I must admit it does kind of have that effect when i look at it yes(looks at rad)...feeling...sleepy....sooo....sleepy...:yawn:

2. Thanh55

Thanh55 What's a Dremel?

Your skill up to unlimit dude, good luck for the rest. I can't wait for your next work ;)

3. Bad_cancer

Hi everyone!

Just thought id share the present my missus gave me for Christmas. (Forgot to post it sooner :blush:)

[​IMG]

Ooh what could it be?

[​IMG]

She spoils me she does!

[​IMG]

Formed packaging! (The next level in luxury)

I must say this is a great bit of improvement over the usual mouse mats.
    I used to be of the people who thought it was a publicity stunt and a gimick when it was advertised that mouse mats could improve your gaming skills and gaming experience……boy have I changed my mind!

It feels fantastic! The mouse just slides, it makes my Salmosa (also a gift from her… I’m spoilt to death) much more responsive and you don’t run out of space when gliding the mouse from one edge of the screen to the next (seeing as it is huge). This all makes it a very enjoyable experience for gaming especially with FPS’s. :D

Update coming in a bit. :D

4. Bad_cancer

@ Thanh55: Thanks a lot :D

Okay Update then!

Doing the side panel

So after waiting and waiting (seriously, months of waiting) my friend with a CNC (as he shall be named from here on) finally got me my acrylic. I got it very cheap, but he took ages to do it but still I got it in the end so I can continue modding. :dremel:

[​IMG]

So my side panel already had a mod for a smallish window in the side and a side fan, but I decided to make it much bigger so that we can see all the mess inside properly. :p

So I cut out most of the panel leaving only a part to cover up the fan and it things look nicer (as much as I can with my limited skillz)

[​IMG]

As you can see there are all those little air holes in the panel, which I don’t like at all so a little bondo to help things out a bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While that is was hardening I passed on to the next step, the front panel.

Here is a pic of how my front panel was after my first mod:

[​IMG]

Dual blowhole design inspired by Overkill bill :yay:
    But this time round I wanted to go for something a lot more subtle.

My idea was to have a very minimalistic front fascia that would be in two parts with rods connecting them both. (this will become clear in a minute)

The easiest way for me to connect the two parts is with these

[​IMG]

¼ threaded bolts. This would provide the perfect way to keep all the bolts at the same distance. And also the tips look pretty cool like that. :D

So I took the plates and held them together while I drilled out the appropriate holes to keep them together and with a lot of care, I have these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one with the Hole is the panel that attaches to the casing. That 120mm blow hole is the hole for peltier Psu fan. The other panel (the one devoid of anything) is the outer panel.

And here is how it works:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(In theory at least :worried:). The only things protruding will be the optical drive , the reservoir and the cables from the rad.

And to keep some consistency with the front, I will be using these clips for the side panel.

[​IMG]

Painting the panels.

The panels were now ready to receive their paint.

[​IMG]

Side panel prepped and painted. It is not perfect, I’m not too good with the bondo-paint can combo. :blush:

[​IMG]

Front panel in orange. This is basically finished, just a little cold lava logo that I will stick on the front (That I’m still working on)

[​IMG]

And the case fascia with hole for the rad cables.

And both together:

[​IMG]

That’s it for now, thanks for watching,
    Until next time!

Last edited: 11 Jan 2010
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Remember to have an inch or more space between those panels, or the fan will make a 'whoosh'ing noise.:D
    Looking good. :thumb:

6. Mark_Hardware

Mark_Hardware What's a Dremel?

Wow looking really good man! I like what you are doing. Just remember, if it's not overdone, it's just not done. Can't wait to see more

7. Bad_cancer

Thanks!
    No worries, there's about an inch and ½ between the plates.

Thanks!
    Although there is such a thing a too much....It doesn't apply in this case!

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Nice rad

I'm keeping an eye on this log :thumb:

9. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

sub'd!

10. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

this looks good
    sub'd

11. Bad_cancer

The_Beast
    null_x86
    disturbed13

Thanks guys!

I am currently working on 2 things, The controller for the Peltiers and the frontal logo for the case.
    The controller is going to be a thermostat mixed with relays and other things.
    I'm not as good as my father is with electronics, so i'm getting him to help out :D.
    Ill keep you guys updated.

12. kiwi750

kiwi750 What's a Dremel?

Mods like this are what i go to work for, passes the time of day so quickly. Sub'd

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Man I have a feeling that this is going to be a kickass mod at the end, remember my words!!
    If you want a better finish on the paint in an easy way, sand it with a fine grit (800 -1000) and apply one more layer then apply 3-4 clear metal varnish coats ! Mod on! :)

14. shakka65

shakka65 What's a Dremel?

I just love your type of modding. It's so old school. The power supply and rad are definitely awesome and the lighting is perfect. My eye are definitely on this one.

15. Bad_cancer

Thanks! I really hope to get something special out of this project, and to entertain you guys at the same time.

Ill try that paint technique thanks a lot!

Thanks for your kind words! :D

So the project has just slowed down a little because i ran into some trouble (literally, i ran into it head on and broke my bike fairing :duh: ).

So i've been fixing my headlights and frontal fairing for the last week or so. But i has its upsides, you see i don't have (or need) a big bike, so it didn't come with anything special for the headlights.

But i changed that cause i upgraded to one of these:

[​IMG]

Its a High Intensity Discharge xenon headlight kit, 35watts but :jawdrop:.
    I use only a one bulb bike kit (obviously), but it packs some impressive lighting! More than some cars on the road! It has a lot of electronics in it including a ballast and transformer pack, but it is worth it!

Other than that, no worries im still going to finish this mod, so i ask just a little patience from you guys.(Just till i repair my bike :blush: )

Last edited: 21 Jan 2010
  16. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

17. Bad_cancer

Thanks for the tip, but the postie dropped off my Uv orange liquid utopia kit the other day. So that pretty much settles it. Ive got a ready supply of distilled water from the back of my freezer too. so thats pretty much okay :p

Also i'm using two submerged pond/aquarium pumps (Dunno the makes). A 400lhr one and a 700lhr one.

Should have something done by monday. :D

18. Bad_cancer

Well I got my bike finished and I must say that I am pretty happy, but this is a modding log so.
    I’m pretty sure that if I derail my own thread again, Bindi will charge forth with his ban hammer.

So…..

Update time!

Making the reservoir.

Sooooo, in amongst the pieces of plastic that my friend with a cnc sent me, there were the parts I needed to make the reservoir. This res is the size of a double 5.25in bay.

I used acrylifix (I think that’s the correct name for the stuff) to stick all the sides to the base. (I had some pics but I seem to have lost them. But who wants to see hard and wet stuff getting stuck together huh? :worried: )

Anyway. After a few hours of sticking we have this:

[​IMG]

Which I waterproofed with silicone sealant:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the res was ready to have its holes tapped (I’m making this too easy :worried: )

But first I needed a tap. The real problem here is getting anything remotely specialized and if you do get it, it costs a lot. But still I managed to get my hands on this:

[​IMG]

That barb kinda creeped into the frame :p

It’s the only one I could find, and while I don’t have any doubt about its quality, the fact remains that im using a tungsten carbide tap on plastic. :wallbash:
    Cost me $50. ahh well at least if I decide to tap copper or steel I can use this.

[​IMG]

Funnily enough I couldn’t find a bsp tap, but as you can see this is G1/4 thread.
    I didn’t expect to find a G thread here so that brought a smile :D

So I tapped the holes in the reservoir:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was another problem I had for connecting the pumps to the connectors that lead out.

The thing is that the pumps are submersible so they don’t have a direct connection to the loop. I could get tube from the pumps, but how to direct the flow outwards?

Finally after some thought, I decided that some pvc pipe would do the trick, so I cut out two pieces:

[​IMG]

And I tested it on a scrap piece of plastic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The principle is simple, the pipe out of the pumps go into the pvc pipe that is stuck to the area where the connectors flow out. It doesn’t have to be watertight, because it will be under water anyway. So I proceeded to stick the pipes into the reservoir:

[​IMG]

While that was drying I made a back plate for the 2 pumps:

[​IMG]

Holes cut out.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the layout of the pumps on the backplate.

I then countersunk the holes so that the screws would sit flush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up it was time to use the new connectors that the postie had brought me:

[​IMG]

Koolance (designed in usa made in korea) 1/2in barbs.
    Maybe not as nice as bitspower, but these are more within my budget :p

Mounted on to the res:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 inputs, 2 outputs and one for refilling.

Both pumps are in the same res so that both loops can be cooled by the TECS.

So that while the main loop is being cooled by the TECs, the TECs are cooling themselves. (it makes sense in my twisted mind :rolleyes: )

Now was the time to assemble the thing. I mounted the pumps on to the backplate with brass screws to prevent corrosion (I hope). The pumps were then connected to the pvc pipes and sealed with some silicone. And voila:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fully assembled. It isn’t perfect (Yes the backplate is at an angle, that is because of the way the tubing connects to the pumps) and my main question is:
    Cheesecake or Failcake? :confused:

Hmmm i'll decide another day.

Thanks for watching!
    See ya next time!

Last edited: 25 Jan 2010
  19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im just concerned with how close the inlets are to the acrylic. I'd say you need a gap of 5mm-8mm minium to get enough water into the pumps without resriction.

:thumb:

20. Bad_cancer

@mankz : Interesting point. The small pump has about 10mm gap from the base of the res.
    the big one however is kinda close to the side (3mm-4mm, but there is extra material that i can file off that inlet if necessary)...hmmm testing shalt ensue.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumb: