1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any forum members in Seattle?

Discussion in 'General' started by jhanlon303, 20 Jan 2010.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I took a posting with Boeing and will be in Seattle at least 5 days a week for the next year. Any forum members here from Seattle to point me to what to do, what to see, and where the comp. shops are? I've never been to Seattle and have no idea where Boeing is, where to stay, eat or anything. Pretty spur of the moment job accept.

PM me if you don't want to reply to general.

John

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I live in the metro area of Seattle. If you want to buy computer parts at a store, Fry's Electronics in Renton, not far from the 737 factory (not far at all), is one of your better bets. They have occasional low-end motherboard and CPU sales which are good for snagging a cheap secondary PC, and some of the cheapest prices on hard drives I've ever seen. Otherwise, if you can spare the time, buy your computer hardware online.

As for sites, I'm a native and still don't go anywhere. :D Pike Place Market is one of the obvious draws though, as are the Museum of Flight and Seattle Central Library. There's plenty of stuff to see out there.

3. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I second the Museum of Flight - they've got an SR-71 up on blocks so you can walk right under it. (Technically, it's a M-21 - only one in existence, and they've also got a D-21 recon drone.)

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I don't live in Seattle, but I do have a Fry's right down the road. If it's close to where you'll be staying, I would definitely recommend it. I've never had a problem taking anything back, and their prices have recently been on par with online places such as Newegg.

5. she'shighvoltage!

she'shighvoltage! What's a Dremel?

Fry's in Renton is awesome for sales.

If you're into the tourist-y type attractions, the Seattle Underground Tour is actually pretty good as well.

6. jhanlon303

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my time 6 days a week and 4 states away from my mods. I maybe could ship stuff back and forth to myself when I get settled in.

7. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

Let me now when you get here, we'll grab a beer or two.

8. jhanlon303

Now the BIG question?

Can I get a beer in Washington state after my Sunday flight to Seattle somewhere? It's important. Don't go to Arkansas and expect to buy a beer or 6 on a Sunday.

john

9. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

No blue laws here, we're all heathens.

10. jhanlon303

Thanks! Saves me an extra check-in bag.

11. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

I used to live in Tacoma, and I can speak a little for Seattle. Museum of Flight, Space Center, Space Needle, Underground Tour, Pike Place Market, etc. They are all good places to get some "oohs" and "ahhs" at. If you dont mind going for a little drive, check out Point Defiance in Tacoma. Probably one of the best parks in the state, that isnt a national monument of sorts, imo. Also, no blue laws in Washington.

12. jhanlon303

More input - Thanks! How come nobody suggests the tour of the Boeing facility in Everett?

Sorry humor and sarcasm both in one post! Can I haz a rep for this?

13. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

:p I havent been to the Boeing Facility so I cant speak for it.

Hey, do they need any technical engineers? :D I need a job :p /shameless bump

14. jhanlon303

PM me after tomorrow. I believe something is afoot. Gut feeling.

15. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Will do ;)