1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films How long till blu ray is mainstream

Discussion in 'General' started by Thatguy119, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I've always wondered whether blu-ray will become mainstream before media streming takes over. My dad got some BT box thing through his work with BT that lets you rent movies and watch movies off the internet and there supposely away to trial downloading HD movies. I'm thinking this sort of thing might take off before blu-ray goes mainstream. After all why walk to a shop to buy or rent a movie when you can do it without leaving your sofa.

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

@Showerhead, Blu-Ray probably will become mainstream because people like to have physical media, i know i do. But it's not just that. UK Infrastructure for is quiet old, thus many have poor connections, and to top it off, Download caps don't help either, so if you have an 8gb cap on your connection, and you rent a HD movie, that's about 1/2gb. So Media streaming/downloading has a few hurdles to get past before it can become mainstream.

Sam

3. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

This.

I don't see the point in blu ray, the technology is there for everyone to rip their existing DVD collections onto a media player, and then just stream/dl hd stuff. I'm sure this is what most people want, it's just film company's getting in the way so the can can as much money as possible.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I only have a 1TB drive. :(

My TV folder is 481GB. All new seasons are 720p. :D

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No, but I would download one if I could!

+1

Only time I watch TV is for Nascar or on the weekend with parents.

Same here. My parents still do as I'm the only one with bluray player and hd screen. lol

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, I skipped 720p TV entirely, still watch TV over the 'ol CRT tv (4:3) and bought a Blurayplayer to fire movies to the beamer (which is Full-HD)

It's a question of price really, I got the Bluray player* for 100euros (150 dollars / 90pounds).
    Still about twice of what a (branname) DVD-player would have cost.

*Sony BDP-360

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

For posterity, let the record reflect that I still pirate liberally. (And the mods are still homosexuals.) No doubt I'll get cancer by karmatic law for my trespasses. Enjoy it quick before it gets Ingsocced out of existence!

[​IMG]

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

what i dont understand is why anyone (except for your stereotypical, monster cable buying audio/videophiles) would spend any more than $200 on a BD player when the PS3 is as cheap as it is now.

LittleBigPlanet makes the difference worth it.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Because a PS3 still costs more than $200. I have no use for another games console, so the gaming capabilities are of no value to me. In my case, a standalone Blu-ray player would be the cheaper option. Whether or not it's the case for a large portion of the population - I don't know.

But then, I'm a somewhat unique case. I rarely watch TV, so my 4:3 CRT works just fine for the occasional movie. On the other hand, perhaps I'm not so unique after all: according to a May 2009 Nielsen report, just over 33% of American households had at least 1 HDTV. That is quite a large number, and to be fair it is growing. But, it also means that a good 2/3 of households did not own at least 1 HDTV. In addition, the full report indicates that while 33% own an HDTV, only 28% receive HD programming.

In other news, time spent viewing on-line video is up 13%. Given that I'm content with my 36-inch CRT, I'll wait until it physically dies before jumping onto the HD bandwagon. By then, streaming video may be mainstream. Your mileage may vary.

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

To be honest, I've never really desired a Blu-Ray player since I started renting HD films on my Xbox360. As someone who still buys CDs I was surprised that I ended up so taken with the concept of paying £5 for a film that I didn't own but it's really quite convenient and the HD streaming has really pushed it to a new level. What it really, desperately needs though is more content.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Easy:
    Bluray-players are about 150euros (210dollar / 130pounds)
    On sale they are 100euros (140dollar / 90pounds)
    A "normal" PS3 (250gb, 1 controller, no games, or bundle with one game) is 300euros (420dollar/ 260pounds)
    The 160gb version isn't really cheaper (20euros maybe)

Maybe PS3's are cheaper in the states...don't know.

Besides been at least twice as expensive, PS3's also aren't as good at upscaling DVD's (appearently).
    Of seem to be good at beeing used as a digital media hub though.

If, however, you're inclined towards console gaming, or if you'd like a mediahub (or both), you're right of course, getting a PS3 is the smart choise.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2010
  11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Piracy discussion gets you a 24 hour ban. Backups are one thing...

You comments reflect on us also, so flagrant admissions of law breaking will likely be removed.

We all know people do it, but it's not a dick swinging contest on how much you break the law.

12. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I dont agree with the concept that people actualy like to own something tangible.

This is the case when the tangible item is desirable and rare - then they are placed on display - either ornaments, pictures etc.. they are a peakocks tail - saying something about the owner and representing an investment and ability to invest.

This used to be the case for records, vhs, dvd's and people think now blueray...

however with the advent of the (disgracefull - is that ok mods) practice of downloading movies for free - the content of such collections is worthless as anyone viewing a collection is likely to have already seen all the movies.

As such the display shows that people have poorly invested, are hoarders of outdated technology, and are likely to live alone with a large number of cats.

This from a person with a large number of all the above items...

I will be sad when books go the same way over the next fiew years.

13. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I realized recently that although digital content services (such as Amazon's mp3 store) make it easier to buy digital media, the quality takes a big hit. So much so that I'm going back to buying CDs. For HD movies, I'd rather have physical media than risk buying something that's been compressed for Internet delivery.

Besides, this is Cornwall. Our Internet connection is only as fast as the man operating the telegraph.

14. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

You've had an upgrade? Last time I was there it was all done with pidgeons. ;)

15. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

in the states, the 120gb PS3 slim is $299. the 250gb is $349.
    on craigslist, i got a 40gb fat one, and dropped a free 250gb laptop drive in it, for $210.

and as for upscaling DVDs - on my 37" 1080p LG, they look just as good on the PS3 as 1080p BD rips do on my htpc.

16. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

the ps3 actually has a very good upscaler - don't know where you're getting your ideas from.

17. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yeah, the pidgeons were eating our emails. :/

18. Xir

Xir Modder

How old is the PS3 hardware? We're on 4th gen.BD players now. :naughty:

But I agree, at that price, I'd never have bought a stand alone BD-player. For some reason they're more expensive over here.

Then again, everything is.:eyebrow:

Xir

19. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

This. Who wants to clog up their internet every time they watch a film? If I'm going to buy a film on Blu-Ray, I don't want to have to download it too. There's nothing more likely to puncture the suspension of disbelief than buffering or something, and that's going to happen if this takes off in a big way because our local infrastructure just isn't up to the task.

In addition, if you have a physical disk, you can rip it to your home media center, and yet still take it with you, and have a ready-made backup. That's before you get to the inevitable toll on quality the streaming process takes, and the fact that the entire point of HD content is the high-as-possible image quality.

It's funny that I actually don't like discs for games, but insist on them for films. I think it's to do with the fact that games need to be updated and changed, whereas a film is already 'perfect' and can therefore be frozen on disc and shelved.

20. veato

veato I should be working

I can get HD content through BT Vision but its i) not as good quality as a Blu-Ray disc and ii) takes an age to download. I personally believe there's still a market for physical media as people like to 'own' the disc.

As far as PS3 versus Blu-Ray player goes you can get a Sony BDP-S360 (5 star rated over at What Hi-Fi) for under £100 at Play.com. Fair enough if you want a Playstation anyway but if you just want BD playback there's some cracking players out there for a lot less money.

Finally with regards to replacing your DVD collection or no longer buying DVD's I have personally found the S360 to be an amazing upscaller. Because of this I will be hanging on to my DVD collection and - as I did recently when the missus wanted to watch Wall.E - adding to it if I find the cost of a BD to be prohibitive (Wall.E DVD vs BD price difference was quite big and the difference in quality when upscalled isnt notable tbh)

IMO the £95 S360 makes a cracking DVD upscaller on its own even if you dont want to immediately go out and spend £100's on new BD movies.