1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Danger Den

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mikeyfly300, 27 Jan 2010.

1. Mikeyfly300

Mikeyfly300 Modder and lapping specialest

I have a DD loop and block that works extremely well. so I have ha 5870 and i decide i want to water cool it. I order the block from the for there quality. So this is what i get when i opened the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been a machinist for 15 years and horrified when i saw this. I immediately called them
    and explained the problem to them. They told me i would get the same exact thing and i had to
    pay to RMA it. I indicated this block at work and there was a .002 in dip in each ring. So after some one realized i knew what i was talking about they took me serious and and contacted the president of DD Jeremy Burnett who is also the machinist. I told him how to fix the problem, he took my advice and it worked so well that he pulled all the 5800 blocks off and redid it my way.I will show you the difference now.

Notice the one on the right they were going in half circle passes and over lapping the as you see where the rough sections are and were making the passes at full speed with a 1/4 fly cutter. It is imposable to achieve perfect flatness at that speed and small cutter on a finish pass and not doing it in 1 pass.

This was my solution for him . I told him to cut the speed by 65% and start in the center and spiral the cut so the tool/cutter doesn't have to lift up and back down again. That is why there is the roughness in those 2 areas. When the tool has to lift up and down on a finish pass it will leave a ring at the start and end of each pass no matter how accurate the CNC is.
    I also told him to switch to a 3/8 or 1/2 in fly cutter so there wont be no flex in the tool. He still used the 1/4 cutter but he did slow the speed way down and use my spiral 1 pass method . The improvement is a 1000x better as you see in this pic

[​IMG]

There way
    [​IMG]

My way
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Jan 2010
  2. Mikeyfly300

My prize

This is what they gave me for my solution no refund or any thing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 emails from me and 1 response from him please read

Jeremy,

I am not threatning i feel i got a bum deal
    Put yourself in my shoes and imagine how i feel.right now
    The only reason I told you what to do is that I like
    your products and couldn't believe that WB came from your
    shop. I was horrified and thats why I told you how to fix
    the flaw.
    I respected DD that much, I have been burnt on
    3 other occasions 1 had to do with a machine when i was 19
    A part would keep going bad on a Brunswick A-2 pinsetter. I gave
    them the right solution on stopping that. They told me that would
    never work. A year later that part is in there catalog. That was 16
    years ago. It is still in there catalog they made a bunch of cash over
    16 years . What did i get nothing,
    After the 3rd time I let my knowledge out to a main stream company,
    I promised myself I would never do that again. It has been 10 years
    i gave advice to a main stream company. I said to my self you know what
    I think this might be good for me. So far i guess I am wrong

Mike

-----Original Message-----
    To: mikeyfly300@aol.com
    Sent: Wed, Jan 27, 2010 1:15 am
    Subject: RE: Danger Den 5870

I don’t understand??? You said you wanted a motherboard tray so you can make a case around it? If I misunderstood the request…please let me know.

Jeremy

Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:13 PM
    To:
    Subject: Re: Danger Den 5870

Jeremy,

Remember I found your machining flaw in your product that the normal
    pc enthusiast wouldn't notice. You changed the way you now machine
    that product because of ME. And just to give me a piece if acrylic and a
    I/O panel for free is a slap in the face to me. You could of been a little
    more generous instead of being disrespectful on what you gave me and
    taking advantage of my help and knowledge to your company's benefit. I
    praised your Cooling Block and GTX Rad in Overclocking forums and Modding
    forums when I made my Post's

The old POORLY machined block that YOU made will go out Sat. I am on 10 hour shifts now
    and the closest Fed Ex is 10 miles away .

PS. I guarantee the min and max Temps will be lower than what you were making due to the finish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disappointed,

Mike

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

dude, i think he has you confused with somebody else, that motherboard tray is so way off from what you are talking about to him...

Just throwing it all on here without finishing the conversation is a bit harsh in my opinion, especially as this looks like a misunderstanding, not a slap in the face. No need to get so worked up over it anyway.

4. Mikeyfly300

I just need to get my point across. You don't understand I got him DD to pull a whole product line to use my idea to make there product better. and just to get a free MOBO tray was a insult to me and my skills with CNC's. I am sure he will see where i am coming from, this has been a 2 week ordeal for me not. Didnt even a refund offer a measly 99 bucks USD, but i made his product better and more efficient

5. Mikeyfly300

I hope DD does the right thing

6. Xtrafresh

You have gotten your point across. You are awesome and they are greedy corporate *******s. Now please read my post...

I'm not speaking for DD here, but from the looks of it they thought you wanted a mobo tray, which you clearly dont. So, i come to the possible conclusion that they have you mixed up with somebody else that did want a mobo tray. That would also imply that they have no intention of sticking you up with said mobo tray, nor refusing to thank you properly or refunding your bad block.

Have you concidered that you are pissing off nice people that just made a little mistake? This thread could be the best way of throwing away all the goodwill you created by helping them in the first place.

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

+1 I'm afraid. This doesn't make you look good, or them. Everybody loses.

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I dont want to offend you in any way but from the 3 emails you've posted, you come across as a proper ass.

Its quite clear they think you're somebody else, unless you did ask for a motherboard tray? and posting an unfinished issue that is currently unsorted is wrong.

What if their next email is:

'Sorry we had a mix up, thank you for your advice and taking the time to share it with us, as a token of our thanks you can keep the parts you have already received and we will also send you X product'??

9. Mikeyfly300

I did ask for a Mobo tray

1. They should of given me a full refund and a big box of goodies for my fix with out me requesting for it
    2. They just knocked off a measly 25 bucks on the BLOCK I FIXED FOR THEM
    3. Xtrafresh There was no mix up, but I understand where your coming from :thumb:
    4. I hope they do the right thing, I have praised there products and WB in various forums.
    5. I am not greedy or looking for some large payment just some freebees and acknowledgment for my fix and a piece of plastic isn't the way to do it.

I will post and update when i get home from work getting to leave soon

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

your definition of greedy is different to mine. You gave them information to which they gave you a freebee, if you really wanted a little more you could have asked for a meeting via video or phone if needs be, to consult form them in ways to improve the machining. You feel burn't about getting a piece of plastic, tough this is the real world and this is business. Hard lesson learn't again!

Yes you fixed there problem, but consider this, running the machine at higher speed and letting the surface finish suffer as a result may not be down to lack O knowledge but rather a question of time per cycle, hence a money question.

Bash it out quick with a poor programme, or go slow and take more time. Clearly an accountant has got in the way of quality control.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I see where you are coming from mike and tbh I would have expected more but sadly you cant force them to give you any more than a pat on the back.

I do feel that alot of other companies would have thrown you some stuff but thats DD's choice, I guess they aint a huge company.

12. Xtrafresh

Ok, if you did ask for the motherboard tray, then i really dont see the problem. Yes it's a piece of plastic, but it's one heellova expensive piece of plastic.

Don't get me wrong, i can see where you are coming from (ohio apparently), i can even see what you mean, but i fear you have overestimated either the worth of your help or the thankfullness of a company. It's a small company you know, they really do struggle to make ends meet and giveaways are really putting a dent in the budget.
    Either way, i cant blame DD for it. They even recognised your effort and gave you some freebees and a discount. If you wanted to have the block replaced, you should have asked for that, called it an RMA. The problem may also be that you concider the first block broken, and they dont.

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'm surprised you got anything at all, to be honest. If you're not happy, I'll gladly provide you with a poke in the eye, completely gratis.

14. Mikeyfly300

How about I poke you in the eye DD just shiipied today a I7 WB, Another 5870 WB and a GTX 240 RAD
    to me for my efforts an fix :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I am happy with that and discounts on what ever i need :rock:

DON"T EVER BACK DOWN FROM THE BIG GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Mikeyfly300

I think we have the Crossfire fittings still in stock…next delivery is on the boat.
    I’ll send you an invoice through paypal if that works for you.
    Let me know,

Jeremy

Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:00 PM
    To: XXXXXXX
    Subject: Re: Danger Den 5870

Jeremy

Thank you very much for your generosity on the discount THAT MAKES ME HAPPY AND I WILL CONTINUE to use and recommend your products.
    When my build is done The Inversion Illusion I will send spec and send numbers on the cooling so you can advertise or show on your site with your Water Blocks

This will be a setup/case like you never seen before

Mike

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thu, Jan 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Mike,

You suggested you needed:

I7 MC-TDX Block $59.95

GTX240 Radiator $84.95

5870 Block $74.95

It’s about $220 worth of gear…and I can get it out to you shipped for XXXXXXXXXX
    Cant reveal that info:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Let me know if this works for you…

Jeremy

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:13 PM

Yes…I’m still finishing it up.

I think it will be able to give you the i7 block…and work out a significant discount on the radiator and 5870 block. I hope to have it finalized tomorrow.

Best Regards,
    Jeremy

Last edited: 29 Jan 2010
  16. she'shighvoltage!

she'shighvoltage! What's a Dremel?

So now that they send you stuff you're all happy?
    What a dick.

17. Mikeyfly300

I fix a major flaw and got rewarded I didn't ask for the world and money just acknowledgment
    and they hooked me up read the whole post before you comment. They pull the whole innovatory of the 5800 series water block because of ME. You must just be jealous :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

18. Mikeyfly300

I respect them and they respect me

19. she'shighvoltage!

she'shighvoltage! What's a Dremel?

I'm really jealous because my ego doesn't require me to demand recompense for my help.
    Can't you be happy with saying "My waterblock wasn't great, guys, here's some tips." and not demanding merch from them?

20. Mikeyfly300

Evidently you don't know how to how to read. I have been a machines for 15 years. they blew me off about the Flaw. The prez. from DD called and we talked for about an hour of the process of the CNC work. He emailed me the next day and and machined it my way. Well it worked and and asked if i needed any thing call me well he misunderstood what i ask and when i got the shipment i was bummed. And emailed him that day and said what was on my mind If you read the whole thread.
    And helped me out i didn't get it for FREE OK And we are now good friends. Where his shop is located it hard to find a good machinist were they are he told me. So now if he needs help or I think i can improve on there process I will.

2 words for you SHE F**K OFF