1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Nvidia says Fermi is great, but who knows?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 18 Jan 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

wellll...ATI should have the AMD-knowledge behind it now.
    And AMD, even if their designs aren't quite up to speed, has good manufacturing processes...
    Errr...I mean Global Foundries :rolleyes: has good manufacturing processes.

Process transfer isn't as easy as Intel makes it look :D
    Remember when AMD tried to run it's process at Chartered? Started building their own fab in dresden 6 months later. :D

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Maybe there will be some games out that actually need this much power by the time it is released....Or more likely we will be playing Mass Effect 2, Bisohock 2, COD whatever_version_is_next, Battlefield Bad Company 2, the latest orange box engine game and various other sequels/console ports on hardware that it is more than up to the task already.

But at least it should drive down prices of the 5800 series towards 4800 series levels (hopefully).

3. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

nv-who?!?

Are those the guys who made may 8800gtx (now long retired), that I replaced with a 4870x2, which i am replacing with a 5970 and 3 27" monitors.

Try again another time nvidia, you are aced for the foreseeable future.

4. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

TSMC have now solved the 40nm process problem so hopefully availibility will be good from both camps regardless of die size.

5. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

I wouldn't hold my breath. From what we have heard, GF100 will run hot, use lots of power, and there is the possibility that even the A3 silicon is not good enough for long term production (there are rumors of Nvidia going to B1). There is also a member on XS who seems to have extensive inside knowledge on GF100 (he was correct about the deep-dive NDA release date, among other things) and he says that GF100 is not as good as everyone is saying. I hope he is wrong, but it appears that GF100 will not shine until a revision or a shrink to the 28nm node.

6. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

HD 5000 or Fermi.... how about who cares!!

My twin XFX HD4890's @ 1ghz can run everything under sun absolutely fine. I do have an itch to upgrade but theres one problem...

Is there any games out to justify an upgrade? NO!! seems as of late everything is a dam 360 port. I got a nice system that I refuse to play 360 ports on.

I'll upgrade when the PC specific games are released. other than that I might as well by a PS3 with my GPU money.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I have an itch to upgrade.

My HD4850 is slowly not doing well.

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Upgrade to a 5870, or a 5970 if you can find and afford one.

9. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

(D-Cyph3r 18th January 2010, 16:49 Nvidia SAYS alot, thats their problem.)

(Star*Dagger 20th January 2010, 08:08 nv-who?!?

Are those the guys who made may 8800gtx (now long retired), that I replaced with a 4870x2, which i am replacing with a 5970 and 3 27" monitors.

Try again another time nvidia, you are aced for the foreseeable future.)

Really guys?

AMD has been the biggest ******** artists for the last decade. Constantly overstating it's own importance and then conveniently not being available for comment when proved wrong. The recent Interview with Richard Huddy was a classic steaming pile that again will not be taken as gospel by anyone worth a carrot.

How can you hail the recent ATi release as all conquering when NOBODY knows exactly what Fermi holds?

If you are building a system today I would recommend a GTX260 which can be picked up for around £110 today and play most games at decent rates. Then wait for Bit-Tech benchtests in a few months before deciding which way to go.

10. Elton

Simply because it currently is conquering. And that Fermi isn't out yet.

11. crazyceo

When some are recommending spending the cash NOW and lets be honest, the higher end cards aren't exactly cheap. Isn't it prudent to wait a mere 2 months before spending £300+ on cards that may or may not be the best today? They are assuming it will remain "ALL CONQUERING!" with no proof whatsoever.

Or you can keep those blinkers on!

12. Elton

Well prudence isn't very well known to many. Personally I agree, I'm waiting for Fermi, not because it might win but because everything will be cheaper.

As far is it goes though, you do have to admit, ATi is currently dominating, It's unrealistic to say that the RV8xx is all conquering as that's ludicrous, but you do have to admit that it is in the lead.

13. crazyceo

It currently has no competition, so yes. The sad thing about it is that it really hasn't jumped ahead by any huge margin. When the 8800GTX came out, it was just a massive leap forward which took quite a few years to realistically catch up to. Even Nvidia struggled to follow it up because it was so good. Have ATi leaped forward anywhere near as well as that? Honestly, no.

Every generation since has only really been a little step forward. Hopefully, Fermi (isn't that a pasta?) can kick start the gfx market with another huge leap forward and get the competition thinking again.

14. Elton

Yeah it is true, the HD58xx is undoubted not that big of a jump, but it's still quite competitive..

It's faster than the 2900XT by about 3 times, which if you look at it is quite impressive. Although, admittedly it took them a while.

And Fermi was an engineer, not pasta, although Fettucini is a pasta.

15. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

because the latest ATi release has been selling as fast as it has been produced since it was released im not sure what counts as 'conquering' but that comes close. nvidia have had the entire market ripped out from under them - in the top end the HD5870 is twice as fast as the GTX285, and nvidia is struggling to make a profit with its lower end cards.

Comparing a product which isnt even released yet to one which has been selling like hotcakes is foolish. ATi's product is out there for you to buy, nvidias is hiding behind NDAs and crappy slideshows. even sites (like BT) who were arguably nvidia fans have started to doubt some of the stuff coming from them.

Also, where is this mythical 100 quid GTX260? cheapest i found was 130 on scan. you can buy a HD4890 for this price and get +20% performance.

16. crazyceo

I remember CustomPC doing a benchtest on all the current gfx cards before the 5xxx came out. It went through all the old models from both companies and then made a recommendation on whether to upgrade or not. Since I owned a 8800GTX I was keen to see whether it was worth the money to upgrade. I just checked and it was this time last year issue 65 (Feb 2009). It recommended that I would need to spend a serious amount of cash to gain a worthwhile performance increase.

One year on and I don't really think its worth the immediate upgrade. Yes I will benefit from reduced power consumption and a new card would be a lot cooler. However, unless it's another huge step forward is it really worth it?

At the very least, I'll hang on and see what Fettucini brings.

17. crazyceo

"Also, where is this mythical 100 quid GTX260? cheapest i found was 130 on scan. you can buy a HD4890 for this price and get +20% performance."

It was an offer on Aria a few weeks ago. Fanboy quotes aside

18. barndoor101

A one-day offer does not a cheap card make. Cheapest there is now 145 quid.

What i take issue with is that you are comparing a product that has introduced a new version of dx, is making money, has review scores etc, with a product that hasnt been released yet - then saying the released product doesnt push the boundaries enough.

its like saying Crysis wasnt advanced enough because Duke Nukem Forever was just around the corner...

19. Elton

I think Crazyceo is just addressing the crazed fanboys who really think that the HD5xxx are the all time dominators even after Fermi comes out.

Of course it's speculation, and now with a Dwindling supply of GT200 chips(and an odd surge in RV7xx chips) you have terrible prices.

20. barndoor101

problem is that is this industry if you wait for the Next Big Thing™ you would never spend any money. all you can do take a snapshot of what is currently the best item for your current price range.

Tags: Add Tags