1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Where to buy parts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iwog, 27 Jan 2010.

1. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I'm wondering where people do their PC component shopping? Do you buy it all online? All from one store? Or do you shop around? The reason I'm asking is I mainly use scan and eBuyer for my PC bits and I'm wondering if there is anywhere else where I can check prices as I'd really like to shave a few quid off my current build idea:
    [​IMG]

The reason why the Sharkoon 1000 costs £21.13 is because its actually 2 fans to replace a couple of ailing ones from my original PC.

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

check Novatech and OCUK as well

3. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

Aria PC has some good deals, and I have bought from OCUK many times and they were very efficient.

4. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

CCL Computers often stock good deals, ebuyer, scan (the pinnacle of reliability) OcUK (although we have some haters here on BT), Eclipse Computers, Chilled PC UK (Modding parts), Yoyotech are quite good

5. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

If you pay for delivery at Scan you could get it all from ebuyer for free delivery over £50

6. giskard

giskard System builder

ebuyer's free delivery takes 5 working days though.
    Scan do free delivery for hexus.net members

7. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

But the past 4 times I've ordered and asked for 5 working days its come next day. Plus a week isn't that long to wait unless I've blown up my PC.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

+1, pretty much everything I've ordered from ebuyer with free delivery has come either next day or two days.

I'd personally stick with scan and ebuyer. They're the ones I use the most. I occassionally buy from Aria, but their delivery is quite expensive, and I've used oyyy.co.uk a few times too.

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive never had free delivery from Ebuyer take more than 3 days tbh, my order last week of 1x1Tb F3 sammy was ordered at 8:10pm tuesday and still got delivered by UPS on wednesday :rock:

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have had a load of my new parts from www.overclock.co.uk. All arrived in a day or so and a little cheaper than I have found elsewhere

11. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Thanks for all the links guys. Will run my build through their websites at lunch today and see what I can save.

12. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Well that was a lunch time wasted, I only found 1 product significantly cheaper anywhere else and that was the CPU from aria, it was £5 cheaper for a limited time, but delivery makes it £2 more expensive. So that hour of research tells me go ebuyer or scan and only have a quick glance at other sites for curiosity.

EDIT: other then pretty colours, and the 1156 bracket is there any difference between the Titan Fenrir and its Extreme brother?

Last edited: 28 Jan 2010
  13. giskard

giskard System builder

One reason to buy from Scan is Scansure - I bought around 500 quids worth of stuff including a £150 mobo and a 200 quid CPU, and somehow I managed to damage one of the CPU socket pins, necessitating a replacement mobo which was done very quickly under Scansure.

Scansure cost me an extra £12.

14. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I bought the Special Edition one as it specifically said it has 1156 brackets. The standard one should have 1156 brackets included by now, but it may not if it's old stock. Apart from that, it's just the colour.

I personally only use Ebuyer or Scan. I prefer to use Ebuyer though as their website is better and delivery is free. But Scan sometimes have good deals on their 'Today Only' page.

15. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Wow! Scansure love. Can it possibly be?!

16. giskard

giskard System builder

Well, spending 12 quid saved me 150 quid so more practicality than love.
    I wouldn't bother with it for buying a HDD, fan or a case though.

17. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

It doesn't but fun fact you can save nearly £5 by purchasing the "plain" version and a 1156 plate.

£32.85 (£31.70+£1.15) compared to £37.47

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

It also depends where you live to be honest. I have used OCUK and they never let me down.

But I live in London and with yoyotech being about 25min train ride away I have used them for about two years and have got absolute brilliant service from and swear by them.

With myself being in the mobile phone industry we have to remember retailers cannot be %100 all the time. But the most important thing is, if they at least try to help

19. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

+1 to novatech...

always recommend typing the company name followed by the word "review" into google, tells you how good they are...

as for overcockers, well read for youserlf http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews5686.html