1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

And this relates to the iPad, how? Although I agree with you it doesn't seem to relate to our reasons for not liking the iPad :p

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

It's just how many people in this thread seem to slate Apple, for just being Apple, and have probably never used their products. I want to try the actual item before seeing if I do need it, not just slate it straight away because it's made by a certain company.

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Pun?

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Funny how someone above mentioned that Microsoft is putting out the iSlate or whatever it's called just to compete with the iPad and it's not doing anything innovating. That may be true, but they also done a touch laptop seven or eight years ago, at the time that XP was all the rage. Remember, XP Tablet Edition? Remember how that went? Where was Apple back then? True they had a better interface, but no fancy touch devices back then.

Anyway, it's still a niche market of "I want" without any practical value (unlike the iPhone which still has practical value some-what, as a phone). It'll fail miserably again.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

edit: repost?

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Wouldn't that rather be an iPlug?

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Well firstly bear in mind that Sony are generally quite expensive for what they are.

Secondly, said apple product is NOT going to be £300 or £400 - it's going to be over £400 in this country, obviously.

Thirdly, what does a tablet PC give you that the iPad doesn't? Well, have a good think about that first and then read this list:

1. DVD drive
    2. HD capable screen
    3. Keyboard
    4. Handwriting recognition
    5. Play games in visual quality better than the N64.
    6. It comes with a power supply
    7. You can play OGG or FLAC
    8. It has USB
    9. You don't need to buy a proprietory memory card reader
    10. You aren't clamped to the ridiculous Apple DRM
    11. Webcam
    12. oh lol, multitasking

Shall I go on?

Granted, the iFap has some attractive features, fast booting I'm presuming will be the best thing, along with the tied in access to DLC; but really, how does it warrant £500?

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Do you really think an 8 year old attempt on 8 year old hardware on 8 year old networks is really a good comparison? That's like saying the first cheap mobile phone was going to be a failure because the first Motorola suitcase phone was. Do you think somthing might have happened in the world of technology since then? Social media? Music? Not to mention, it wasn't touch. It was stylus driven.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

10. Jumeira_Johnny

Funny, but everyone did the same thing when the Air was launched. It really is just because it was Apple that launched the first one, isn't it?

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Wow, it must be worse than I thought if even the Apple fanboys are ridiculing it.

12. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

iPad: No USB. No VGA. oh **** it let me save some breath. There's no connectivity unless you use a dock.

To call this a tablet is an insult to tablet PCs everywhere. You gotta dig deep into your memory and remember the 90s so you can call this what it really is. It's a giant, ugly pocket PC.

all hail the fanboy fap material of the iPalmpilot.

This is the least innovative thing i've seen in a long while. I would take 2 of my Asus Aspire Ones over the base model of one of these, and I'd have enough money left to spare that I could buy them each a nifty neoprene skin case.

13. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

14. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Maybe with android on it... ?
    Nah, not likely, and the hardware problem (or lack of USB ports) would still remain.

15. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

In a more positive light, it is nice that there is such a variety of products out there in terms of portable kit in various sizes, but only Apple are marketing the stuff in their own often misleading way, and only Apple market low specification as a feature.

Its not like saying a BMW 318i is the same price as a V6 Vauxhall Insignia or whatever and the Vauxhall has more kit standard, as the BMW has features that the Vauxhall doesn't, such as rear wheel drive, lots better handling and near 50/50 weight distribution.

It would be like BMW making a front wheel drive, front heavy box that understeers all over the show and still pricing it at the same point as the V6 high spec Insignia.

16. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

16GB as an entry level just seems silly. If they are touting it for eBooks, music, video and games then surely the entry level should be 64GB.

Also is cost difference between 16GB and 64GB of whatever memory they use over £200?

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Whenever I go to a convention, I lug a laptop with me so I can check my work e-mail (through webmail), and keep my timecard up to date.

It is a company-provided laptop that I have to check out, so it is loaded with the most inconvenient bloatware (for "security" reasons), and admin access is disabled, so I'm limited to what I can do.

With the iPad, I can take my music and movies with me on the flight (because it interfaces with an already-established contenet delivery system); have a few books, magazines, or comics with me for leisure time; bring a long my magazine subscriptions with me for reading when standing in line at the convention; and I can can get to the web for e-mail and time sheet access if needed. All this, and it takes up a fraction of the space in my carry-on bags, and it runs cooler and more efficiently than the laptop.

I'm seriously considering one, but I'll wait to read a few reviews before jumping in. If I decide it's for me, I'll probably wait for Gen 2 so they can iron out any inevitable kinks that are standard with 1st gen hardware.

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

But an iPod Touch can do almost all of that, apart from reading books and magazines, but it has a much longer battery life so you can enjoy it for longer. I don't see what's wrong with carrying a magazine or book about - it's just as convenient and less of a worry about its battery running out or it being stolen/broken/dropped in a toilet. It suffers from the same problem as ebook readers - they're too expensive and a solution to a problem which doesn't really exist (except for a small number of people).

19. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

DXR_13KE likes this.