1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD has 6-core CPUs, SATA 6Gbps mobos due

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

With that TDP there won't be much room for overclocking. Plus I'd expect a higher clocked quad core to perform better in most applications anyway.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Just as I think... 2 more threads, but with lower clock speeds and with a big TDP... That's not good

4. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

^ +1, I can't see any reason to update my 955BE with any of these. These chips aren't going to offer anything to the average user, and likely even in highly threaded apps the intel chips will retain a significant lead because of hyperthreading. With the increased production costs and TDP at the top end, I'm really not sure this is the way to go for AMD.

The way I see it, it's largely not viable as an upgrade for most of us with existing AM3 systems; Intel will still retain the performance crown with its quad-cores, inhibiting purchases from anyone in the know. I don't see a market for them, but I'd be glad to be wrong.

I'm assuming the release dates are an error. God help us if AMD are still on socket AM3 in Q2 2013!

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Some people will love these chips, but not casual users or gamers.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

6 core Phenom II, from what i have seen in reviews and considering the cost of the AMD CPU's right now i would be mad not to get one for rendering! More cores the better!

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

If opterons are anything to go by, then AMD will reduce clock speed to keep the TDP down. How much do processors change from server to home market anyway?

Either way The only thing that interests me in these new mobo's is USB3 and 6Gbit/s SATA and Will the increased Hypertransport clock help with overclocking phenom II X4's?

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Lets face it, AMD need 32mn and a new architecture to compete with Intel. Even now everything is just a tweaked, die shrunk Athlon 64 from 2003.

9. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

To echo comments already, i'd much rather see a better performing quad core than another 2 cores that wont be used. However, i'm sure it's worthwhile for AMD to make six cores so they're not handing over all the sweet corporate market to intel. I wish google or somebody would give AMD a huge wad along with a kick in the ass.

10. javaman

Arab investors maybe =p all they need is a football team xD

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Remember that Intel's 6-core is likely to cost the best part of $/£1000, whereas AMD's six-core will still perform better than a quad core in hugely threaded tasks, but it'll likely be a fraction of the price. I estimate ~£400 downward. Even AMD's excellent FX5x's were only £580 when they launched.

12. javaman

Drop in replacement for a power starved data center if I remember correctly xD

13. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Old School OCer

One could certainly say, sooo ...
    AMD needs to come up the another Athlon 64 Intel killer or, sad to say, don't see them in the high-end market much longer.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Actually Clive says £200-220 :worried: I recon more.

15. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

From what I understand the 4290 might be a higher clocked 4200, a bit like the 3300 was a higher clocked 3200, but apart from that, the same. Support for the 4290 is listed in Catalyst 10.1 beta as this :

"ATI Radeon HD 4290" = ati2mtag_RS880, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9714"

Looks like a nice board, for people who encode media, it would probably pack a punch for its price.

16. trig

trig god's little mistake

that is what i was looking for here. something with enough potential that intel will have to lower their launch price, or at least lower it quickly after. but from this initial report, do you think it looks promising enough? i don't.

17. javaman

Guess it'll depend how intel price theirs. £200-£220 seems too close to current phenomII's but AMD could need to be that aggressive. They have to offer price vs performance to compete in my eyes. I can't see it releasing at that price but maybe after launch prices could drop to around that, especially if opteron's are an accurate performance indicator.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

tasty! will wait for benchmarks. 6 core rendering dream :clap:

19. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I just hope the 6-core cpu's come out hungry for the performance crown. That would surely brightenhings a bit!

And also that a 890FX chip comes out of the "oven", I don't like GX or X, I'm all for FX. That two little things "cooked" really nice could be a huge kick-start to AMD back in the front. Here's hoping Asus makes a Crosshair IV juicy enough to go along with that.

20. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

The linked article clearly as a Q2 2010 release date for all of the 4 listed 6-core CPUs...

2013 will be the year of the 3.6 Ghz (+), 22nm 8-core K12 Bulldozer CPU (with integrated ATI 7100) after all!! With socket AM5 (a 1024 LGA socket) and HT4.

Tags: Add Tags