1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New threats! :jawdrop:

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 29 Jan 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Hi all

Even though every year we seem to suffer a small drop over the Christmas period, we don't seem to have bounced back this year to our normal 3 million a day average. Combined, with losing a couple of major farmers recently, we've now got some threats appearing on our radar for the first time in years.

Namely, Overclock.net and TSC! Russia. Although they are both a number of years behind us, it won't take much of a ppd shift for the situation to change for the worse.

So - all hands to the oars and row faster chaps :thumb:

I'll try and increase my own personal contribution to the team over the next couple of weekends by building a few more rigs.

2. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

I know its not much but every bit helps. Ive just upped mine from 125ppd to over 2000ppd. Thats 16 times more AWESOME!!! :D

3. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

I'm meeting with my mentor today after school. I'll try to get the macs folding for the weekend.

4. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I've Just had my best month folding ever, and still have 2 days to go, I'm peddaling as fast as I can :D:D

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I have the machines but lack the hardware atm.
    Room for cards but no cards : /

ah well :(

6. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Must admit due 2 hardware failures and internet problems I have struggled to keep an decent ppd ,to make things worse my new build is now hold as the misses wants a holiday :-(

7. darkorb

darkorb What's a Dremel?

I had almost all my server's drop off while I was out of the country recently thanks to a switch failing :(

Fixed that yesterday, should get back to my 20,000 PPD soon hopefully.

8. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

Ive cranked my pc right up again.....something is better than nothing. i think i'll try start contributing a bit at a time again. Cant see the team go down!!!

9. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

As im sure you will all appreciate if I could run any more I would lol! I've got my main WC'd 4.2ghz i7 cracking out some bigadv's again for a while but im killing my lecky bill :waah:

I will try and stay upto around 200,000 ppd for as long as I can but keeping 9 CPU's and 20 GPU's running 24/7 is not without its challenges! :worried: :worried:

10. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Just got my electricity bill the other day. :jawdrop: Paid the outstanding balance as well as my Gas today. :waah:

Both rigs, an E8600 with a GTX275 & a GTX260. Q6600 with 2x GTX260 both still folding despite the big hole burned in my pocket. ;)

11. Tesla effect

Serioulsy, Coolamasta wtf hope your provider is cheaper than mine.

12. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

Well at least its payday today so all is not lost!

btw whats the best cpu folding clients these days? is it still better to use vmware and notfred or the foldings own smp thing? ive been reading things about bigadv ?

13. Tesla effect

Forget about notfred. Just run a windows SMP client you will get 'nuff bonus & you will still be able to use the machine for gaming or whatever occasionally. Bigadv will provide more bonus if you just leave it alone & never use it for 'owt else.

14. coolamasta

I'm with British Gas Dual-Fuel so no not really that cheap lol.
    I should say though as a lot of people already know but my most of my dedicated rigs - 3 x 9800GX2's, 8 x GTX260's, 2 x 9800GT's and a bunch of CPU's over 3ghz are in work in the air-conned server room saying as im in charge of it hehe ;) but I still run 2 x GTX260's, a GTX295, 2 x 4.2ghz i7's, a Q6600 and a E8400 at home so I got a good 1500-2000 watts being pulled 24/7! :worried:

Yes VMware & NotFred still best PPD at the moment mate, if you have an i7 running over 3.6ghz with hyper threading turned on then you can jump on the BigAdv bandwagon for a nice big bonus in PPD :thumb:

15. Tesla effect

Try & sneak a few more in the server room dude. :worried:

16. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

does that mean i have to recongure my not fred clients? how do i sort out the bigadv? or for now would it be simplier to download the smp client?

17. Tesla effect

The new a3 core with 6.29 client will provide a good halfway house between the previously 'broken' 4 core smp folding & the latest bigadv 4+ core folding.

18. coolamasta

Tesla - yeah I will if you give me some hardware and I will find it a home in there for it ;) lol
    I done a quick/rough add up and worked out I have around £4000 worth of dedicated gear folding out of my own pocket, in fact shiiiiit I didn't realise I had so much moneys worth of kit!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

DaTLiTe - see here mate and leave questions about it on there, im using it on 2 of my i7's and its alllll good :thumb: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=181923
    You can shut this BigAdv down if you want to have a game as well, just don't leave it down for too long as you will miss the deadline and miss out on the bonus but @ 3.8ghz you will have a good 20 hours to play with!

19. Tesla effect

I'm under 1000 k/watts in total thankfully. Somehow I suspect my rigs might obtain a new username in your server room :D

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i7 920 online (@3.3ghz at the moment using the Asus ROG i7-965 level up option) 2x9800GX2 cards back online

need some tips on getting to 3.8Ghz,

will an Phenom II at 3Ghz be able to do Big adv units (guess i could sell it later on and get an UD5 and an I7-920 or 6 core as the UD5 does have Lots Sata connectors)