1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Kingston 128GB V+ SSDNow

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 30 Jan 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

lol!

4. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Wait... Windows 7 hasn't been out that long. I know that performance and stress tests simulate an exponentially longer period of time then a real-life user can typically perform, but still... I thought plate drives lasted -years- in stress tests. If SSD's are failing just after 3 - 6 months of stress tests, that seems like a really short life expectancy. Something around maybe 5 years in real life? Maybe that's not much to many people on here, but two of my computers are that old, and my laptop is getting there.

Of course without knowing the exact tests its hard to say, but if I'm shelling out $325 for a 128gb hard-drive it better be better then a plate-drive in --every-- way.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Rich is just joking - not broken any...yet!

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

at least Toshiba is not using re-branded JMicron any more, i think he is more talking about the TRIM command making sure that it works i guess

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What happened to the Intel SSD after you thrashed it again? :D:D Oh the readers will have to wait to see that now :D

8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

What about the cheaper V range? any plans to perhaps do some side-by-side comparison to get some idea of relative value between the two?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You mean the 40GB Intel drive? We haven't got the 30GB one from Kingston, but, tbh, 30GB is just too small.

The older Toshiba JMicron one is pretty pants though and we wouldn't recommend it.

We'll see if we have time about the 40GB X25-X

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I hope this is good - I need a decent but not too expensive SSD before my Window 7 RC expires :D

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

No, I actually mean the range below the one you've covered here.

You've covered the V+ SSDNow, but there's also a more budget friendly range - http://www.kingston.com/ukroot/ssd/v_Series.asp

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Quite sure the V ones are the Toshiba/JMicron drives should avoid them like the plague

Tags: Add Tags