1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD confirms grey-screen crash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Last edited: 2 Feb 2010
  2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Glad they're admitting it, glad they're working it out.

3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

News from Tom's Hardware, a low for bit-tech.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

important news is important news regardless the source!

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

6. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Affects 4800 series also, Can't play the Mass Effect DLC without it grey screening during dialogue.

7. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

NVIDIA was crash-o-hotic on vista and they never addmited it so hehe, go AMD!
    on sabatur it was EAs fault as it was their update that fixed the issue not AMDs driver or hotfix

8. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

Yep, it was nvidia drivers that gave the majority of early Vista issues. It was IIRC at least 60% of automatic error reporting traffic.

Nevertheless, glad I stayed on 9.12 :)

9. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

You're kidding me? How can you all start pointing fingers elsewhere when AMD first said it was just Windows7 then "oops!" it's completely knackered on everything!

Another sign that AMD rushed out the recent software updates without any thought. This company has it's head completely up it's own ass!

Give us an honest explanation and we'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However, AMD cannot do this and have to point fingers and cry that everyones picking on them. Well I'm telling my mommy!

10. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

AMD said an update for Win 7 made it worse, not that the problem only affected Win 7 or that it was MS's fault.

I wish people would actually read.

11. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

its a funny little error (sabotuer one)
    when i was on xp i installed a new cpu e7600 and new gpu 4670 and installed latest drivers then i could play the game no problem then i fresh installed x64 win7 and installed drivers and it didnt work it was a wierd but so i just ran in it win xp mode and it worked flawlessly till they released patch

12. Casefan

Casefan One Man Army

I got this on my 5850 first time I ran MW2, it hung for about 6 six seconds then went back to my desktop, since then no problems. Running Windows 7.

13. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

"As reported over on Tom's Hardware, the company has advised customers experiencing the bug that the issue isn't a hardware bug but a software one exacerbated by an update issued by Microsoft for Windows 7.

Despite this explanation, users running other versions of Windows are complaining of the same issue - and in the release notes for the latest version of theATI drivers, Catalyst 10.1, the grey screen crash is noted as an issue which affects all versions of Windows."

Read it yourself! AMD said it was an update on Windows7 then their own release notes say it affect ALL versions of Windows.

Anything else or is your defence dead?

14. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

15. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Holy cow, seriously, read what you post CAREFULLY before you post it. The first part is the quote from AMD. It states "the issue isn't a hardware bug but a software one exacerbated by..." EXACERBATED by means made worse. The SECOND part states "Despite this explanation, users running other versions of Windows are complaining of the same issue..." This is where the writer at Tom's hardware pops in and is adding his own observations and interpretations. The problem is that you're interpreting his addition of the problems on other OS's to say somehow that AMD was originally saying that it didn't affect those other OS's. BUT THAT WAS NEVER STATED BY AMD. They said that the Windows 7 update made it WORSE. The bug was already there and on other systems. For the love of God man, learn to read above a grammar school level. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

edit: I should have said "the writer from Bit-Tech" and not "the writer from Tom's hardware" so sorry about that inaccuracy.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
  16. Taros

Taros What's a Dremel?

Here Here!

Can only assume Crazyceo is an AMD fanboy! :p *Wooosh Sparks Fly!*

AMD and Nvidia have both had their issues with drivers but after using both types of graphics cards il be keeping my money with AMD for now.

Just wish my order of Vapor-X 5870 would hurry up and be in stock again! :D

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Either way at least ATI takes charge in actually getting problems fixed, I have seen where nVidia had issues that they didnt resolve for over a year.

18. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I think it's a bit cheek throwing in Saboteur at the end of the article. That had nothing to do with AMD, and as I understood it, when the problem came up AMD jumped into action and helped EA fix it.

19. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

20. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

But it did have something to do with AMD did it not? They even admit to it.

Tags: Add Tags