1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Direct2Drive opens European store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I feel like online game stores are like women - one is simple and takes your money and you get fun, 2 or more at once and it becomes a lot of hassle but you get different good bits from different... em.. stores. Steam seems to be the hottie most guys go for at moment and that particualr hottie seems to keep them happy enough they dont need anything else - unless maybe if D2D takes it's pants down a bit more for an easy change of experience

3. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Not really. I didn't really consider any other service before Steam decided to **** their customer base in the ass with the European prices. €60 for Mass Effect 2? Really?

I've already bought from the D2D UK store, worked fine. Mass Effect 2 was however regionally locked on any other DD store than Steam. It's like my money is dirty or something because it's not Anglo in nature. Whatever. I'm happy to keep my money.

I'll have a look to see if anything has changed in the new D2D store except the price denomination, but I don't expect anything.

edit - as suspected, Mass Effect 2 isn't even listed on the site. What a waste of space.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Nice analogy...

5. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

you mean this mass effect 2? http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/3/9053/product/Buy-Mass-Effect-2-Download

6. Eriku-Kun

Eriku-Kun What's a Dremel?

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Good to see some more competition for Steam (because the absolutely broken piece of cr** EA considers a online store really doesn't count as competition for anything).

8. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I'm happy with steam since I haven't bough any game online but I might buy something good and original from it. Until I see a reason why not to.

9. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Yeah, that's the one, trying to buy it on D2D UK lets me know I'm not cool enough to buy it, and now on the new D2D EU they decided to just pretend it didn't exist to save themselves the trouble.

10. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I for one am glad they've opened an EU store. Steam prices have been creeping higher and higher. I mean come on if I can get the same game for sometimes 10 Euro less in high street stores, why buy from Steam? If it's a digital download surely it should cost less due to no packaging etc etc?

I got Star Trek Online from D2D as it was cheaper then Steam, as well as Mass Effect 2 (pre-order=lower prices too).

11. FreQ

FreQ What's a Dremel?

Agreed. Quite often I see Steam games priced higher than on the high street.

It doesn't matter how good a product is, it has to have competition to keep it good. I hope that D2D proves really competitive so that Steam raises it's game and keeps me happy. :D

12. SoulRider

SoulRider What's a Dremel?

I've noticed a concerning trend since I moved from the UK to The Netherlands. Steam prices are a rip off in Europe. We get a 1:1 price exchange with the dollar. Take psyconauts as an example, £1, $2, €2, but it is across all pricing. The Euro is almost the same value as the pound, and yet we're paying twice as much!

I'm off to UK this weekend to top up my steam account..

Tags: Add Tags