1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help save Vulcan XH558

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pookeyhead, 4 Feb 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just a moment of your time please.

I've been involved with fundraising for this for some time, and February is looking like a crucial month.

There's a very real possibility that the only remaining airworthy example of this British engineering icon may well be grounded.

I'm not asking for money... I'm asking that if you plan on buying anything online... could you consider doing so via Vulcan To The Sky's official fundraising partner's site?

http://www.buy.at/vulcantothesky

For instance... if you were going to buy a copy of Left 4 Dead... use the buy.at search facility at the top. You'll still end up clicking a link that will take you to game, or play.com, but you'll be donating a small percentage to save XH558. You will not pay more to make up this percentage, the partners donate the difference.

Whilst you're about it, we are trying for a world record attempt for the world's largest amount of signatures on a birthday card for XH558... you can sign it here.

More info below.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2010
    Krikkit likes this.
  2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Signed the card. Pledged.

This is an amazing warplane. Keep her where she belongs. :thumb:

Pookeyhead likes this.
  3. Pookeyhead

Thanks GOO.

Anything that makes noises like this.....

...needs saving.

Fabulous take-off howl at 00:12.... then wind forward to 06:44 to hear the howl while airborne - when you hear this for real it's makes all the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It's like something out of Jurassic Park :)

Please do all you can people. Even pledge some cash.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Epic, signed and sent the link round to everyone I know.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  5. Pookeyhead

Awesome... thanks! I'll be giving rep to all that sign the card.

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Absolutely - I saw her flying over Wendover woods when she was either on her way or coming back from a display. I swear they where tree-topping, and the noise was just fabulous. As I said on the card, it made me feel 5 years old again, watching them fly over our house (Sniff. No, that's not a tear in my eye. Honest)

Don't know what all the fuss is about? - a good start is to read Vulcan 607.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Signed. That thing is insania. Love it.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  8. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Petition signed and bought a couple Twilight T-Shirts (for my daughter) from play via the link.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

+1

Sure...

Enjoy your t-shirts ;)

Pookeyhead likes this.
  10. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I want to use your link but i cant buy eve time cards through it.

oh wait i can. mebbe later.

11. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Goddam I hate being unemployed and having a mortgage, otherwise I'd go buy stuff. Well at least I can sign the card.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  12. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I grew up in San Antonio, Texas which has 3 Air Force Bases so the annual airshow was kindof a big deal. I remember after the Falklands War, the vulcan was thrust into fame. I had never heard of it before that.

Even though the thunderbirds were featured at the show, the Vulcan's appearance was the most memorable moment. I didn't take off at the show, the way they showcased it in-flight was to fly it in low over the hangars behind the crowd and pass over. You didn't hear it coming until it was right on top of you and the sound it made flying over was amazing and terrifying. The ground shook and the thought occurred that this plane could deliver the desired effects on the enemy without dropping a single payload.

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I bet she's still the world's most powerful plane....

...in turning kerosine to noise :D The noise is just mental on that video. I'll sign the card, no money to buy anything, unfortunately.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  14. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Signed and donated

Pookeyhead likes this.
  15. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

/signed.

Hopefully they will keep this flying!

Pookeyhead likes this.
  16. Pookeyhead

Thanks again to everyone signed so far.:rock:

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I don't mean to be down on all of this, but I can't say I really understand the point. Sorry.

I mean, I guess I'd get it if there was a chance of keeping Avro Vulcan's active in the armed forces, but as it is, it just seems like trying to keep an ageing airframe which can't have that many years left in it, flying intermittently every once in a while to entertain spectators and admirers. They're certainly magnificent aircraft in terms of aesthetics and engineering - I just don't really understand the point in maintaining something that is essentially doomed.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's kept air-worthy because people want to see and hear it flying for as long as possible, getting as much pleasure as possible. Otherwise it'll end up in a museum gathering dust like so many other aircraft, and no-one will enjoy it properly again.

By a similar argument why should we keep maintaining old buildings - they will eventually become too aged for repairs, so why bother now?

19. Pookeyhead

Incorrect. Many historic aircraft still fly today despite being way past their intended number of hours and cycles... because they get restored! Same with old cars. Should we destroy them all because they're old? The famous Spitfire MkIX.. MH434 had a full airframe rebuild, and is now stronger than it ever was when new.

It's a very important piece of British history, and a great engineering achievement. Peopel want to see it flying, as the experience of seeing this thing is intense. Seeing it sitting in a museum is quite sad.

I guess you either understand or you don't.

20. 13en

13en Minimodder

Signed + pledged.

Saw a few glimpses from my garden when it was at the bournemouth air festival last year, need to see a proper display.
    The MoD should really step in and help, it should really be treated like the BBMF; no one would axe that.

Pookeyhead likes this.