1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Do you still get dazzled despite sitting well above the cars? Shame.

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

It's a CX650 Eurosport which is quite low and Cornwall has a lot of hills. You find on some roads around here that even with dipped beams, because the car is above you, you're looking directly into its lights.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ah, very true. I hadn't read where you are, which explains a lot. Wonderful countryside for biking, not so good in winter.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

A Welsh route I did with my dad back in August on a gloriously sunny day -

http://tinyurl.com/y93k6qv (google maps route)

The roads out there are mind blowing. Highlights are Denbigh to Porthmadog which takes in part of the "Evo Triangle" (which we looped, but I couldn't get GMaps to do it nicely), and Ffestiniog to Bala, which is just so scary/awesome, especially if you know it well! We also included the Horseshoe pass (and stopped off at the Ponderosa cafe) and the famous A483 from Newtown to Llandridnod Wells.

... and some totally shitty phone pictures of the bikes, er, i mean the scenery, taken at a lake just outside Capel Curig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Dec 2009
  5. RTT

RTT #parp

Anyone in/around the South East should give this loop that I put together a try - ~150 miles of pure awesomeness :)

http://tinyurl.com/y8qhgkq

I love google maps!

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Just been to the MCN London Bike show.

One bike sums it up -

[​IMG]

:D

7. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

I Want!!

Got myself a Triumph Speed Four to while away to the two years of 33bhp restriction.
    Great fun, and tbh Im glad I've started restricted!

8. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Just goes past my hometown - i'm not a biker (have been considering it though) - but when my car is about to hit 100,000 miles, i might give that route a go...looks nice and twisty...

9. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Is that a new Streetfighter? Don't remember it looking that cool when I first saw it...

On another note, came back to my bike a few days ago to find someone had keyed the front fairing 5 time... and its only plastic so its properly dug in. What makes it even worse was it was done at my school which is apparently full of intelligent people... sigh, gunna be a job for the summer...

10. dryrice

dryrice Zestious Knight

dont mind me but i like my powered scooters

[​IMG]
    Yamaha Nouvo Z

i wish they brought over the yamaha nouvo series into the uk market. but at least ill ride this baby in crazy saigon!

11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Appreciating that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'd like to quote Sniff Petrol, a blog by one of the writers of Top Gear;

:p That said, you'd have to be mad to ride anything else in Saigon, which having ridden myself four times on a rental still scares the crap out of me every time I go. Personally, I'm trying desperately not to fall into buying an Aprilia Shiver, which is like the Ducati but very slightly less likely to kill me;

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Feb 2010
  12. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Got a puncture today in my rear tyre, nice piece of rusty barbed wire about 4" long got itself wedged into the tread. Fortunately I noticed it while I was till on the drive and used the puncture repair kit to get me home. Could have been worse, the tyre was due for replacing soon anyway but it still hurts at £160, grrr.

Moriquendi

13. RTT

RTT #parp

Yes it is :cooldude: It's so, so, so awesome and the riding position appears to be completely perfect for me. I'm gonna test ride one in April

I get one of these every time my bike is in for a service so I've probably spent about 2 days with one and I considered buying one myself before I bought my KTM.

Power delivery is nothing short of brutal and it cops a lot of criticism for it, but I think it's ok - you just learn to live with a very jumpy throttle at the bottom end (it's due to a slightly un-refined injection system, Aprilia themselves admit it's crap).

Otherwise it's a great bike, handles nicely and the stock exhausts sound brilliant for what they are.

Don't be fooled into thinking the brakes are brembos, they just look like them. Definitely worth considering but beware of it being difficult to sell on and big depreciation when you do, it's hardly a popular model. Rumour has it that there'll be a 1000cc version sometime soon :)

Are those kits as easy to use as the instructions make out?

14. Moriquendi

No too bad in all honesty, the kit that came with my BMW (so probably 10 years old) had little rubber doughnuts that you're supposed to thread onto the needle-ish thing and stick into the tyre. When I tried to push the doughnut into the tyre it snapped so I ended up just poking it in with the tip of the needle, that might have been because it was an old kit or it might have been because it was very cold that day, who knows.

Apart from that it was a pretty simple fix, pull out object, smear glue on needle, stick file bit of needle in & out 20-30 times, cover doughnut in glue, stick doughnut in hole, wait 5-10 mins then trim off excess. The three little canisters of CO2 re-inflated the tyre up to 20psi (supposed to be 39psi) but it got me to a garage where I topped it up. Definitely easier than a bike puncture repair kit.

Moriquendi

15. RTT

RTT #parp

That's definitely worth knowing! Thanks! I'm gonna double the amount of canisters i'm carrying around :thumb:

16. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

Getting ready to go create some mayhem on my motorcycle. :cooldude:

17. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing the low pressure is because the canisters are 10 years old and seals are never perfect so a drop in advertised pressure is to be expected. You should be fine with the number that came with the kit (although spares are always useful). :)

18. Moriquendi

The canisters aren't supposed to get you up to full pressure, just to get you to a garage. In fact it says in the instructions to fill the tyre with air at the soonest opportunity. I don't believe the canisters would have leaked, there's no seal as such, it's solid steel until you pierce it with the adapter. You're also limited to 60kph and 400km according to the instructions but to be honest I was pretty nervous about it until I got it replaced and besides 40mph is no fun at all.

Just renewed my insurance, gone from £360 first year to £165 this year, still with bikesure, their original quote was £235 but they dropped it after I told them I had a quote for £137. I didn't go with the £137 quote (Equity Red Star) because judging by reviews they have appalling customer service and are very slow to deal with claims.

Moriquendi

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Still want to ride a "sets-off-car-alarms" loud harley to continental europe?
    Avoid Bavaria and Austria...
    You're likely to get impounded :D

Hmmm, bad intro for this thread. So anew: *clearsthroat*

Hi, i'm Xir, and I just read this entire thread and wanna join.
    :lol:

20. RTT

RTT #parp

Call me cynical, but they probably say that so they can supply you with fewer canisters and make more profit :rolleyes: After all, what's the difference other than one is (i think?) pure CO2 and one is, well, "air" ? :D

Agree :thumb: