1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning New concept (OSIDIAS), The CNC arrives!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by craigbru, 6 Feb 2009.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the kind words.

The tubing is orange in the pics and video, but in reality the tubing I have is a clear Primochill. The coolant will be orange however. Likely Feser One since I've had great luck with in the past.

Kaldskryke likes this.
  2. Kaldskryke

Kaldskryke Lurker

Bit of a lurker here. I've been following your stuff since Rogue.

OSIDIAS looks awesome, and I'm excited for when you start to build it (physically). I'm sure all the planning you've done will go a long way in helping things go smoothly. +rep.

However I'm a bit conflicted about the aluminum cage... mostly because it strongly increases the case's overall size. The rest of the case is amazingly dense and it almost seems a shame to make the whole thing bigger than it needs to be for the sake of protection. I know it's a lan rig, but isn't carbon fibre durable? Even if the CF isn't durable enough to survive transport, I can't help but feel that if you made the case panels out of aluminum instead of CF then you wouldn't need the cage at all, with only a small sacrifice in weight.

Either way the case looks awesome so far. Can't wait to see this in the Project Logs section!

3. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

Carbon fiber has good compression/tension strength
    but when it comes down to torque or other forces
    it lacks strength

which is why the aluminum cage is nessessary

4. craigbru

Thanks for the rep!

Yes, the cage is the most polarizing aspect of the case. Some love it, some hate it. It does indeed add to the physical dimensions of the case, but most only focus on the core. While carbon is very strong, I don't want anything to even get close enough to find out. The smooth glossy finish of the CF is something I'll want to keep intact. As someone who had to ship the Rogue project across the country via FedEx, I've learned a few things about packaging and protection. The cage really serves 3 purposes. It's to protect the core of the case, it's to make handling easy, and it's to add rigidity. Oh, and I just like the way it looks. :D

This thread will be working it's way over to project logs soon. I've just placed an order for vacuum bagging materials... that's really the only thing I need before I can start.

You got it. That's a huge factor. I could have compensated with more layers of CF, but didn't feel that step was needed. The cage covers all of my concerns and needs.

5. disturbed13

thats one reason why there are carbon fiber arrow shafts
    im a shooter as well as a pc geek :D

strong and fast = KE
    that = less walking for the hunter

6. disturbed13

okay back to the thread
    do you have any more teasers for us to drool over?

7. craigbru

Well, I don't have anything specific with the case yet. However, I do have something else headed to my doorstep... I was going to wait for a formal announcement once it arrived, but I'm not a patient person... I do have a new project sponsor, and I'll give you a teaser for now. :D

http://www.romaxxcnc.com/

[​IMG]

Kaldskryke likes this.
  8. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Oh come ON! All this envy is not good for my health Craig! Could you please tone it down a little on the AWESOME?

PS: start building, dagnabbit!

9. disturbed13

^ okay i asked for it
    but im still with him on this one
    BUILD IT!!!!

we will subscribe :D

10. craigbru

Haha, isn't anticipation great! Shadowhunter on Losias said this to me just a short time back...

"dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you"

You did ask for it. I always did think I'd be dangerous if I could get my hands on a CNC router... Well, now I've gone and done it! There will be plenty of pics once it arrives. :D

Soon my friend, soon!

11. craigbru

Okay, since the surprise is out there, I might as well make the official announcement. I've been speaking with Ron Rogers of Romaxx CNC, and he's been generous enough to sponsor a HS-1 machine ready to run. I'll be using the machine on this project, as well as any future projects where applicable.

The HS-1 is a very solid tabletop CNC, and will be able to handle most any job I throw at it. I wanted to work with Romaxx for several different reasons. The first of which is the standards by which their machines are built. There's no doubt they are solid. The second is the support Romaxx offers after the sale. They stand by their machines, and are quick to take care of any issues should they arrive. Lastly, there is a pretty good community of users on the Romaxx forums that are willing to help and share their experience. All of these things added up to make it an easy decision for me.

I'll keep everyone updated on the machine's arrival, and I'll certainly post pics as soon as I can!

Javerh likes this.
  12. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Congratulations on your sponsor! The router looks quite capable.

13. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Holy wheels and gears :jawdrop: Most people get a graphics card from a sponsor, you get
    a CNC! Teach me obi-wan.:dremel:

14. dncwalk99

dncwalk99 We don't need no stinkin' Dremels..

Dude... So lucky. I could use one of those for what I'm doing. Well, the bigger one that is.

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Care to sponsor me a 4x120 billet grille then?

Grats, seriously. That's an amazing sponsorship.

16. craigbru

Thanks! It's one of the most solid router's I could find. I'll be working with aluminum quite a bit, and wanted a machine that could handle it easily.

Well, I do still need cards... Lol, but this machine can make me forget about that for a while...

I really just happened to ask at the right time. Romaxx was looking to increase their exposure, and I've been blessed enough to be able to provide that. Ron saw my past work, and what I have yet to do, and decided to take a chance. I owe him many thanks.

(Oh, and you shouldn't have any problems snagging sponsors with your quality of work!)

A bigger machine would always be nice, especially for what you have planned. However, the cost is definitely much higher.

Thanks man. Once the machine is up and running, and I'm familiar with it's intricacies, I very well might do some custom work for others. :D

17. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

That is so awesome that you were sponsored a CNC router.

But, I am so much more awesome because I am building my own CNC Router. ;P

26 x 52 inch cutting area, and 3HP router motor. I hope to have it done later this spring.

[​IMG]

18. craigbru

Haha, you are right, you are infinitely more awesome! That looks to be an amazing machine! Congrats on the build!

I had researched building my own machine, but in the end decided I just didn't have the time. I wanted something solid right out of the box so to speak. Who's to say I won't go there in the future though. Maybe I'll use my Romaxx to build another machine! :D

19. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

Hey once you have a CNC machine, building the next machine is much, much easier. And you get what looks like a great starter machine for FREE!!! you *******!!! ;P

For everyone else wondering. CNCZone.com is the place to go if you are interested in building your own machine. I highly suggest looking at the JoesCNC section for a Kit build machine about the size of mine, he also offers a kit build machine 2x the size of mine. For very resonable prices.

It deffinatly takes time to build a machine, especially when you become unemployed part way thru the build, then start your own computer store. I have been working on this machine for about 2 years now. But it is getting really close.

20. craigbru

Lol, well, you may be taking 2 years to build it, but it does look well worth it. I'm afraid that with any hobby, things will start to snowball on me. I'm already looking in to alcohol misting options for when I cut aluminum. I think I've got one figured out utilizing an inexpensive airbrush. Should be pretty cool! :D

Good luck on finishing yours!