1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC PCI-e GFX card for HDTV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GlasgowGeek, 7 Feb 2010.

1. GlasgowGeek

GlasgowGeek What's a Dremel?

Can anyone recommend a good (shortish) card to upgrade my HTPC?

It's a Silverstone LC16M case and a Sharp Aquos TV. (Anyone else using this TV?)

I prefer NVidia cards for the Stereo 3D integration, unless ATI has something similar to offer these days?

2. jason27131

jason27131 Lolzers

You're not going to find a lot of slim-form gpu's that are new these days. I'd prefer the 5450 or something like that from ATi though.

3. GlasgowGeek

It doesn't have to be slim, 2 slot is fine. It just needs to be shorter than the 7800GTX i have creatively wedged in there. I'll look up the 5450 though, thanks!

Just looked up the 5450, almost perfect but i'd like something with a bit more power in reserve. Although it's not really used for gaming, if we have a LAN party here it gets used.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2010
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HD 5670 or 4770 then. :thumb:

5. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

[QUOTE Sharp Aquos TV. (Anyone else using this TV?)[/QUOTE]

I am using this make of TV what did you want to know?

6. GlasgowGeek

Thanks for that. Just ordered a Sapphire 5670, hopefully the quietist i could get!

Just wondering if you have this annoying vertical line down the middle of the screen using VGA input, and if it's any better using a PC on an HDMI port?

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Feb 2010
  7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Do you use anything via HDMI now? Chances are it'll be better than VGA, the sockets on most TV's these days seem to be of very poor quality.

8. GlasgowGeek

I have the V+ (HD Cable) box on HDMI. It still has the vertical line but it's not quite as visible, probably because the picture is always moving and rarely a plain background.

9. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

No vertical lines on my TV my htpc is connected via HDMI with no problems.

10. GlasgowGeek

OK thanks Dmc. Looks like my TV is a bit naffed then. :-(

11. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 What's a Dremel?

hi just want to add i have a sharp 42" aquos lcd, i have my htpc hooked up by hdmi, i did hook up my main rig ages ago by vga, resulting image left a lot to be desired while looking at the desktop, but in games it was fine, and no line that i noticed

model number - LC-42XD1EA

btw i did read that earlier models without the "A" on the end had a lot of problems

my advice is to definatly hook your htpc up via hdmi

12. GlasgowGeek

It's running on HDMI now, picture is a lot better.

Hmm, it seems i have one of the earlier models then, as min is the same as yours, but without the "A".

Do you have any links to info on the problems with these models? Maybe i can get it sorted without me having to pay for it seeing as the fault was there when i got it.

13. Lucy2005

Is the problem anything like THIS look at the first pic he linked.

Also the main thread for your tv model is HERE its 515 pages to trudge through but maybe you'll find an answer

i hope this helps you :thumb:

14. GlasgowGeek

Thanks Lucy but mine has a straight vertical line right down the middle of the screen. It seems it's a panel defect but i doubt if i can get it fixed now as it's out of warranty. At least it's only really noticeable with certain colours.

Oh well, i'd best start saving for a new 3D-TV now :-D

Thanks again!

15. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

omg you can so get it fixed.

i had vertical lines on my samsung TV and sent it to reapir center where they couldnt find any spare parts for a TV only 3 years old so they gave me a new TV instead.

but to be honest dont let out of warranty phase you. theres something called "SALES OF GOODS ACT" which states a product must last a resonable amount of time. you can make this claim upto 6 years in england and 5 years in scotland.

how olds the TV ?

if its like 18months to 24months you should have no problem returning it to the RETAILER not supplier as the contract isnt with them.

They will try to fob you off with its not our problem but it bloody is and they are well aware of the sales of goods act.

you can demand that it is fixed or replaced. DO not let them inspect it as it is up to the customer to prove that it is defective after 6months of purchase not them.

so you can get an engineers report from a repair center which may cost alittle but you are entitled to claim the cost back from the retailer.

just remember 2 things.

do not take NO for an answer they are trying to get rid of you.
    kick up a big fuss

if your persistent they will sort it for you.

16. GlasgowGeek

Well i phoned the Sharp service line who told me to go back to my retailer to get it sorted. The retailer said :

"In regards to your query as the unit is out of its 12 month manufacturers warranty we will not be able to action anything as yet. We would require you to contact a Sharp qualified engineer, who will then write up a report."​

"Once we have the report we will then make an offer towards the cost of repair."​

It's just over two years old. I guess i'll try going back to Sharp again now.

Thanks for the info! :-D

17. Lucy2005

please keep us updated on how things go, best of luck :)