1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Antec cases by Mnpctech being auctioned for Charity

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mnpctech, 10 Feb 2010.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Edited 4/08/10

The Antec Six Hundred "BULLET" and Antec 902 "STARFIRE" cases are being Auctioned off by Antec. All proceeds generated by the online auction will go to benefit AmeriCares, a nonprofit global health and disaster relief organization, dedicated to restoring health and saving lives by delivering donated medicines, medical supplies and humanitarian aid to people in need :rock:

Antec "BULLET" by Mnpctech

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260581614343&ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT

Antec STARFIRE by Mnpctech

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260581621616&ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT.

Original Post

Antec sent me their newest gaming case, the 600 to analyze. I posted lots of photos before I customize it, it's on the blog

Antec Six Hundred case review

[​IMG]

Updated 3/16/10, Final Photos

I got swamped, so I didn't have much time for taking photos before shipping it out. I still need to edit the 902 photos too!

[​IMG]
    The exterior finish is a custom mix of Silver Metallic and Gloss Black PPG automotive paint. I absolutely love how this color came out. I would consider painting a car this color... We imagined it on a `68 - `72, Chevelle, Malibu, Nova, or GTO. This case mod was inspired by my love for Hot Rods if you couldn't tell...lol :cooldude:

[​IMG]
    360 Turbine style front intake was made from 3/4" thick aluminum. The design was inspired by the "Nautilus" Overkill 120mm fan grill.

[​IMG]
    Each of the 120mm Turbine Fans is 2000 rpm, 79.4 cfm @ 30 dBA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The vented side panel was cnc milled from 3/16" thick billet aluminum. "Antec - Believe it" logo is engraved in the surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Antec 600's smoked acrylic moon-roof was replaced by this vented billet panel.

[​IMG]
    The honeycomb grill was also custom painted. A remote 3-speed switch is mounted in the rear of the chassis that lets you balance the 200mm fan's performance. You can also switch off the Blue LEDs.

[​IMG]
    120mm Turbine fan's chrome plated prop-spinners.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2010
  2. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Nice.

In comparison to a Antec 900, HAF 922, CM Scout, CM Sniper, how would you rank it?

How strong are they?

Seriously?!?!??? That's AWESOME!

Or a rotated drive cage should do too.

Imo, as for the motherboard tray, not much of a problem as there is a space for easy access to back plate mounted set ups.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2010
  3. mnpctech

Good questions!

The top brackets on the 600 are plastic, but ABS, so they're very durable. They do act as carry handles, but not very effectively. They should have raised their height, or eliminated them altogether. The top 5.25 window was nifty idea, but it's too dark! It baffles me as to why Antec didn't stamp out more cable management openings in the MB Tray. Cable openings had became expected of manufacturers long before the 600's release. Don't tell me it was to save costs, the MB was stamped for CPU heatsinks. The cost couldn't have been that detrimental to add 2 -3 more openings to please more people. I don't think Antec's engineers are lurking the right community forum ..lol

The 900 was replaced with the 902. Check out bit-tech review The 902 does have removable HD bays while 600 doesn't. The HD bays are similar to CM Stacker. 120mm fan will attached to rear of bay, you remove them through the front, and change location if desired. The 902 has Black chassis, 600 grey. Other than these 2 differences, Both the 600 and 902 have the same built-in fan speed controller and led on/off switch. Overall, I'd chose the 902 for easier access to HDs.

Compared to HAF 922, 600 has better filter access, while 922 has more options for fans and size variations in front intake, top exhaust and optional 120mm in floor. The PSU has screen filter in 922. The HD bays are turned toward outside for easier access and hiding cables. I'd chose the HAF 922 for better layout.

Scout's HD bays are removable, turned toward outside like 922. Better top panel I/O layout. Includes Firewire and 4x USB versus 3x USB on 600. If mobility and LAN parties are important to you, the Scout has the best carry handle I've actually used with system installed. Just a note, you can only use 1x 120mm fan in the side panel window when using their V8 cpu cooler.

I've dissected all of these cases to customize for trade shows. Each one has it's own benefits and faults. It boils down to personal criteria. Antec has better factory tooling than Cooler Master IMO. The construction of Antec's steel cases is still the best. The plastic is more durable, yet flexible. You can feel the difference when popping off the front bezels from each manufacturer. I like the fact that Antec hasn't implemented plastic tool-less locking systems like Cooler Master. I will remove these from the cases I customize.

The Sniper is in it's own category, compared to these cases. bit-tech review I customized the Sniper last year on bit-tech. Urban Camo Sniper If you're looking for case to use right out of the box, it's alright. For modding, I found the plastic covers a bit of a pain to work around. I also broke the tool-less locking mechanism on the 5.25 bay, not once, but twice!

Last edited: 12 Feb 2010
  4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Am I the only one, or does everyone else break CM's plastic tooless stuff?

I hated it.

5. mnpctech

agree, I broke the same mechanism on the Sniper twice! :miffed:

6. mnpctech

New top grill design concept for the Antec 600

[​IMG]

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nice review Bill, and I love that grill design!

I'm not sure I like the 600 in it's "out of the box" configuration, just like I hated the plasticky tackyness of the Nine Hundred (sorry guys, I know lots of you like them) but by the looks of it, the thing has potential. I'll be checking out your mods on this one for sure. Mod on :)

8. mnpctech

Agreed, I prefer a blank canvas, like Lian Li A70 or Silverstone TJ07 / TJ10. The 600 is plasticky, but durable at least.

9. mnpctech

I modding one for Antec's booth at the Pax East event. I can only describe what I'm doing as a Sci-fi theme. Here is the new window...heh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Antec just keeps on taking the fastest way to failtown with their current designs.. Sigh :(

Thanks for the nice review, but seriously, damn do those bezels look cheap and tacky.

11. mnpctech

Yes, and thats why I'm having so much fun altering it :D

Heres is the 3x 120mm front intake I made for the 600.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. vils

vils What's a Dremel?

I really like the "window" you've made.
    And I'm hoping you mod the crap out of that case, it's one of the ugliest I've ever seen.
    But I rest assured you can make it shine.

13. mnpctech

Other than the top brackets, it shouldn't be distinguishable as the 600 after I'm done. Thank you for the post Vils :thumb:

14. mnpctech

Fitting the new triple turbine machined Billet intake onto the Antec 600.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

Seriously slick looking case front. Seems like it would belong more on a high dollar LianLi....(my way of high praise, love LianLi quality).

Not sugesting you need to do it, it looks great as is, but I am trying to picture in my mind how much those fans would pop if the grill was anodised black.

I'm even curious bout the mount screws, assume allen head, but black or chrome ???

16. mnpctech

Thanks for the post! and I love Lian Li :cooldude:

The 600 will be painted a Dark Grey Steel Metallic, same as the Cooler Master 922 pictured here I'm modding for Stompfest in April.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Alexandros

Alexandros What's a Dremel?

That's one sexy color Bill ;), even though the metal itself is already very hawt :p.

18. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

Well duh, should have known you were going to paint it a bitching color, :wallbash:

19. floyd94

floyd94 What's a Dremel?

wow man you are a superb modder!

greetings from Argentina!

20. Vaptor-x

Vaptor-x What's a Dremel?

Nice paint job :thumb: