1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Alan Wake PC officially cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2010.

1. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

As already mentioned, the failure of this game to appear on PC will no more herald the death of PC gaming than say that of Halo3. This a poor attempt to sell more consoles in a market that is near saturation. Them's that want one have already got one. This game, or any other that is likely to be a Xbox exclusive is unlikely to persuade the few that don't have one to buy one. The PS3 and Xbox are ageing equipment, inferior to PC and would have been replaced already if it weren't for the current economic decline.

I think the most interesting point made so far is that regarding Nvidia and Ati. If these to companies began backing games studios to produce great games for PC first (and so their products) and consoles second then gaming across all platforms would be richer for it while Ati and Nvidia protected their bottom line.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seems that someone at Microsoft really wants to get "intimate" with a 2x4... :)

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Oh super. Another game I won't be playing....

Ah well, more money for those who do good games for PC....

4. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Cant wait to spend £40 on this -_-

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It's about boosting sales for 360 console. PC represents a conflict of interest for Microsoft. Getting everyone excited about Alan Wake and then announcing after many years that you will need a 360 to play it is just a ploy to get more 360 sales because that's where the money is. I never liked the 360. Not only was it badly designed initially with its infamous ring of death, I just didn't like the games or find anything "next gen" about it. I was more interested in the PS3. I must say though that project Natal could make a big difference. It represents the future of gaming. I think sitting on a chair pressing keys and moving mouse to control a character is heading for the scrap yard.

6. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

There has always been gaming on personal computers, with the sinclair zx81, bbc micro etc, these type of systems are in my opinion the forerunners of the personal computer we know and love today.

Although i have never really cared about this title, it still shocks me that a title that was suppose to use all the power of as quad core cpu and having been announced way back at E3 2005, has had its pc version shelved this late in its development, and for such a poor reason if you believe the press statement.

Saying that, if the game was going to be released on the pc still it looks as if it was going to be another crappy console port so meh.

Also yes, i am a pc fanboy, i feel out of love with consoles having been a fan since my first atari and master syster. Always loved commodore 64's, amiga's and then PC's tho X;

Will this announcement mark the end of mainstream developers making games for the PC? I doubt it, but maybe more crappy console ports can just stay on consoles and not be ported, then developers who actually want to develop for the PC can take advantage of the vastly superior hardware and shake of the constraints of consoles when making games.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I think Microsoft has played a big role in the destruction of PC gaming. It's in their interest to get gamers away from PC and onto their console. In a way you can understand this because PC hardware tends to be much more expensive and the 360 by comparison is much more affordable. I have never been a great console fan because I hate an detest those joypad controllers.

I stay away from console games because I detest those controllers so much. If motion sensing becomes the norm then I may just make the switch.

8. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

As long as Splinter Cell still comes to PC, not all is lost....

9. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

If the issue was piracy then I'm pretty sure they'd have come out and said it. It MUST be about sales of Xboxes. No-one in their right might is going to say: 'we're trying to force you onto our most profitable platform by taking away all the goodies for other ones' in a press release. So they had some lame-brain in PR foist us with the first thing that came into their head.

What I really wonder, is why people thought PC owner as a demographic are generally thick enough to buy such blatant bunk. Now console owners... I really wanted to play this game too. *******s.

p.s. Ok, I didn't really mean that about console owners. Some of by best friends have Playstations. Honest.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

QFT

All in there that needs to be said.

11. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

12. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

So let me get this straight, you hate the controllers so much that you'd rather act like a mime in front of your TV? Bwhahahahaha!!!

13. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

What about to say "wonder how long before Warrior posts"
    But, well, too late -_-

EDIT: Lets not turn this thread into a PCvsConsole debate.

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

agreed, let's not

*looks at warrior

15. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Please tell me you actually sent that to Microsoft! That would be awesome, if somewhat futile...

16. riggs

riggs ^_^

I've been a PC gamer for ages, but a couple of years ago decided to buy a console. Didn't see the point in getting a 360 so bought myself a PS3 (which I've been very happy with). I figured that the only 360 "exclusives" I was interested in would more-than-likely be available for the PC.
    I was looking forward to Alan Wake but you can think again if you're expecting me to pick up a 360 for it. Why on earth would I want to spend money on an american electronics product (console) when I've already got a perfectly suitable japanese model?

17. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. Most new TV's give you inputs for HDMI, DVI or VGA and even the average laptop can output using one of these connectors. The days of your TV being just for your console are well behind us. I'd say I speak for a lot of people who hook their PC's up to a big TV and surround sound system for their gaming. What's the REAL reason Microsoft...?

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

most likely piracy, tbh

19. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Alan who?

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

tbh my money is on it being that heavy rain comes out on the ps3 around the same time. I'm also betting that serveral magazines will be getting under the table handjobs to give top reviews as well.

/me feeds crazyceo an energon stick.

Tags: Add Tags