1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Hutch (Qmicra v2) The reservoir v.2! Aug 16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 1 Feb 2009.

1. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

That's a nice place for the res, but you have to know that's it's going to be pretty hard to fill, and my Feser fluid gets all foamy due to the limited space available in the res. That aside, this is going to be one hell of a case :hehe:

2. Hovisloaf

Hovisloaf What's a Dremel?

awesome work
    +1 for you my friend

3. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Looks good so far. I really like those little hard drive mounts (simple, clean, effective) and how you are mounting them.

Its funny how modding can lead to other projects. You've got me topped though in doing an entire basement. Very nice work on the basement BTW. I spent a few weeks after making my Zenith case building a shelf system in our storage room, reorganizing it, moving a cabinet from next to my desk into said newly rearranged storage room, rearranging and rerouting all of my cables behind my oak roll-top desk, and building a stand with shelves all to be able to put my Zenith computer out in the open next to my desk.

The positive note is that now our storage room is far more usable, and I can actually get to and vacuum all of my computer cabling. It used to be that trying to add or change anything was a real pain. Now it is a breeze.

4. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Lol, yes John, simple pictures are a little quieter. Sometimes I hear that squeaking in my dreams... That's part of why I you'll see me use a Dremel's rotory disc as a file in the videos. It works quite nicely as long as you have a steady hand.

Thanks! Yes, filling it will be difficult, and I would anticipate a little foaming and turbulence, and I'm okay with that. It should hopefully make for a nice effect when seen through the cuts without affecting cooling performance much. I should probably mention that the reservoir will be LED lit as well.

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Yeah, it's kind of crazy how much time has passed since I started this case, and all the other things I got done in that time. I've been told by other people that my basement work has prompted them to make changes as well.

It sounds like you made some nice changes. Anything that organizes and simplifies is a good thing! :D

brinkz0r likes this.
  5. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Looking great Craigbru! The res will be wicked when completed, the window design is simple and sleek, cant wait to see it in action!

The cover certainly cleans up the QMicra nicely

6. craigbru

Thanks Breach! Simple and clean is the theme for this entire build.

7. Dgephri

Dgephri What's a Dremel?

was just searching to see if any new Qmicras came out, and saw PCDs link to your work on the latest. Nice work!

IIRC from my work on them, you only have about 1/2" (less wall thickness) for the reservoir on top...are you going to raise the top of the case to make it work out? (1/8" wall top + 1/8" wall bottom = only 1/4" left over for flow?)

Really like the Power/USB mount.

I really like your cover for the center area: I just cut receiver ports for the second HDD cage into the side of my PSU. Your solution is much more elegant.

8. craigbru

Thanks man! Your case is one of the few great Qmicra mods out there. In fact, other than yours and Bill Owens', nothing else comes immediately to mind.

You are correct with the measurements. Since I usually work in metric, it works out to about 12mm in space. That leaves a 3mm-5mm-3mm sandwich for the res. Considering the res layout, I don't anticipate any more restriction than a pair of 90 degree elbows.

The cover was something I really wasn't initially planning on. As work progressed, it really became the best solution for mounting the second pair of drives, as well as streamlining the interior.

9. pcdlab

pcdlab What's a Dremel?

Dave from PCDLAB here. Simply amazing work and I'm honored that you decided to mod one of our cases. I can't wait to see the completed project! :thumb:

10. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Well, it's about time Dave! :p

11. craigbru

Hey, thanks Dave! I'm glad I could do you proud. I've got an update pending on the new reservoir very soon!

Haha, it is good to see him here. :D

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I am so disappointed that I haven't checked BT for ages, there is so much that I have missed. Congrats on your progress mate, it is looking fantastic.

13. craigbru

The reservoir... When Hutch and I were originally planning this project, we tried to come up with some sort of showpiece for the case. We wanted something that would to set it apart and make it a little different. For a very long time, what exactly that would be, eluded us. Well, through and idea on Hutch's part, and some revisions on mine, we came up with a plan. The results of that plan are what follows.

In the previous update, you saw how the reservoir will sit in the case. There is exactly 11mm of clearance between the top of the center shroud, and the bottom of the case cover. That's perfect for a 3mm - 5mm - 3mm acrylic sandwich. With that in mind, I made a few careful measurements, got the acrylic marked up. I used a few of the Bitspower fittings sitting in place to make sure I had the proper clearances. As with everything in this case, space is at a minimum, so the planning had to be perfect.

[​IMG]

To save time, all 3 layers of acrylic were clamped together and cut out at the same time on the scroll saw. I also used some spray adhesive applied to the paper backing to ensure no movement during cutting. The following is the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before going any further, I figured a test fit was warranted.

[​IMG]

Since the test fit went well, it was time to make a cutout in the center (5mm), piece of acrylic. This is where the actual coolant will flow. I peeled apart the pieces, and marked my cuts.

[​IMG]

After it was cut, it was simply a matter of gluing the 3 layers together.

[​IMG]

So, what's next? I've got to even up and polish the edges, as well as adding two more smaller threaded pieces of acrylic to attach the Bitspower fittings. Once that is done, I've got to make a few small modifications to the case cover to allow the reservoir to fit properly. After that... well, we might be ready for paint!

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's the flattest reservoir ever!:hehe:

15. craigbru

Lol, it just might be. I'm not sure I've seen anything flatter. :D

16. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Hi Craigbru, I'm very impressed with your work log. Your style is very neat and precise. Looking forward to updates:)

17. craigbru

Thanks! I really do try to keep things organized. It may take a little more time, but I try to write it as something I'd want to read myself.

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Great work on the res Craig, fits like a glove :thumb:.

19. GuyInTulsa

GuyInTulsa Dremel Molester

Hummm... I wonder if the edges would need to be evened up if they were cut with a CNC... ;)

20. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

:D I was referring to the build dude, but yeah the log is neat too. I like the build because it's if you don't mind me saying; not too over stated....it's functional, so it appeals to my sense of aesthetics. I've no experience with water cooling myself, but I admire the workmanship that goes into a water cooled build.