1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment DSLR more than I need... Compact not enough! Need some recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by mookboy, 15 Feb 2010.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

A couple of months ago I sold my Canon 450D and accessories, as after a year or so of ownership I'd not used it enough... and when I had used it, I found it a bit of a handful for what I used it for. The bulk of the thing was the biggest issue for me, as I'm very much the sort of user who like to have the camera with me, but not a burden to carry or look after. A bit more point and shoot without too much fuss etc.

I really want another camera however. I take masses of photos on my iPhone and my compact Canon. However I do crave a bit more control over what I want to do, and would like to be able to have some flexibility with lens (wide angle!). I'm after something inbetween a compact and my old Canon - either a superslim/compact DSLR type camera, or a bridge camera (is that what they're called?). I'm really open to suggestions as I'm finding very difficult to pick something.

Stuff I'm talking about is things in the style of cameras like the Lumix DMC-GF1, or a smaller DLSR like the Olympus e-420/450. It's got to be small enough to fit in a coat pocket, and be a bit more snap friendly than a regular DSLR. I'm not interested in big telephoto lens and that sort of thing - it's almost all to be used for local car meets, get togethers with friends and family, and generally candid stuff.

My budget is £400 max.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Canon G10/G11? Dunno about the Lumix, as I only have experience of the G-series Canons, but one of those should fit your needs quite nicely.

3. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Panasonic Lumix LX3? Its a pretty wide angle for a compact at 24mm, good quick lens at f/2.0-f/2.8, good auto mode, and full manual control if needed. Doesn't have a long telephoto though tops out at 60mm,

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

As mentioned, the Lumix LX3 has a great rep. If I were to buy a compact right now, I would get the Canon S90

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Good suggestions guys. I'm considering something that could use different lens like the Olympus I mentioned. I really don't want a compact as I have one already, as I say I'm after a step down from the DSLR with more flexibility than a compact.

I like the Lumix I must admit.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2010
  6. Akava

Akava Lurking...

What about the Sony HX1, I'm looking to upgrade to that (from Sony H9) in the near future; as it seems to be the next best thing to a DSLR.

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Maybe the new(ish) micro four thirds cameras could be the thing you're looking for. They have electronic viewfinders (pretty nifty ones too), video capabilities and interchangeable lenses. Also you can use the non-micro 4/3 lenses with an adapter (along with Canon, Nikon...etc...).

They probably cost more than 400£ though.

I'd probably take a look at the brand new E-PL1 from Olympus. The older E-P1/2 are more expensive since they are "premium grade" (whatever that means) cameras.

The reason that I follow this scene pretty tightly is that I shoot with Oly myself :hehe:

Darkened

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I find the 450D to be just as small a DSLR I'm ever willing to handle, so it's really hard to see the point. Seriously a proper compact will get the same shots as a "step-down from 450D DSLR".

Maybe I'm just in a wrong thread here as I 100% fail to see the point :D

EDIT: In short I just think it's always a project to take the dSLR with you, they don't get small enough you would just _KEEP_ it with you where ever you go. A proper compact on the other hand will fit the pocket of just that jacket and be there when just THAT thing happens and you'd like to take THE shot.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2010
  9. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I somehow have to agree with Jipa here.

I'm shooting with the E-3 with a battery handle attached, which makes it quite a large camera, but it fits in my hands like a glove (that's why I'm always angry when people say that the E-4/5 should be smaller than the E-3).

On the other hand I'm quite interested in these smaller form DSLRs like the Olympus E-PL1. I couldn't imagine myself using just the small camera, but it would be ideal for traveling and maybe I would keep it with me more often than the big, bulky E-3. I'm actually thinking about adding a m4/3 camera as a backup body, but I'll probably end up buying the E-3 successor and keep the E-3 as my backup...crazy git :D

Darkened

10. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I can totally relate to the need for a small camera. My smallest camera is the nikon D50 and with a simple 50mm lens on it, it's about as compact as a reasonable dSLR can be and I would still like a camera that I can slide into a pocket comfortably but still take pictures better than a mobile phone.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

I picked up a Lumix LX3 as my bridge between DSLR and iPhone (compact). It's a little bigger than a traditional compact (the lens sticks out quite a bit), but it's smaller than any of the new micro four thirds cameras and the photos that come out of it are pretty good. :)

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I had another look at this today, really liked it alot.

13. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Lumix FZ50

1. Surprised nobody mentioned it
    2. Feel of an SLR without the major pricetag
    3. Hell of a lens on it
    4. Reliable and not exactly huge or heavy
    5. 35-420mm lens covers everything (And wide aperture should REALLY help things)

14. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

they are very expensive, I saw a review on an Olympus and a Panasonic I think. They were close to 1000£. I know the review defiantly mentioned that it cost more than a D90 while not being as good.

On another note, before my SLR I used a Sony H9 too (or maybe it was H8), pretty good for what it costs, though the manual controls are VERY fiddly to use. Its a joystick and a button to navigate all 3 settings (aperture, shutter speed and ISO). other than that its a good camera. ot sure if the new models have RAW, I know mine didnt.

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I'm now firmly in the grasp of two/three cameras.

Olympus E-P1 - around £550 (reduced prices)
    Olympus E-PL1 - also around £550 but not released til next month
    Panasonic DMC-GF1 - around £600

Erring towards the E-P1 although it depends on the actual price of the E-PL1 once it comes out in March. Any recommendations for good online retailers for them? Camerabox seem very competitive and also Pixmania.

16. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

GF1 hands down.

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

+1 on the GF1, from what I've read in reviews/comparisons etc.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

You're best checking if the manufacturer has an international warranty, as I know Camerabox sells overseas models, but not sure about Pixmania. The cheapest are usually selling 'grey' imports if they're a lot cheaper.

That said, my own experience with camerabox has been really good.

I've used both the E-P1 and GF1, and the GF1 is the better buy. The E-P1 is a very good camera though!

19. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

This is serious nonsense (with respect). Any D-SLR will do something fundamentally important a compact will never do...have a choice of lenses. An Olympus 420 with a 25mm Pancake is seriously small, you would be looking at aboit 300-350 for the camera and 200 extra for that lens (UKP). No compact is going to get anywhere near the quality of versatility. I feel strongly about this as I did a whole trip with the aforementioned and the only other lens I took was an ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Pro Zoom Lens, 2 grand but most of the time I wasn't doing anything that needed that and had the ultra small form factor of the pancake and 420.

Some info about said lens here :

http://www.zs2.hu/csgzsfoto/technical/lenses/bigguntest_en_35100.html

But the point is...you can't (someday along the line) attach one of those onto your compact camera if you ever need to. If you never need that lens, you still have a camera barely bigger than a compact that has the potential to be a far more powerful tool.

Good size comparison pic :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/2423503342/

20. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I'm buying an E-p1 with the 17mm pancake lens and viewfinder.

GF-1 just doesn't match up in opinion, and in almost every comparison I've read of the two cameras. Some advantages over the PEN, but the built in IS and feel of the thing win every time for me.