1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Overdue, considering new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abhorsen, 11 Feb 2010.

1. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Budget: Preferably <£600

Main uses of intended build: Gaming

Parts required: Case, CPU, Memory, Mobo

Previous build information (list details of parts):

Case: Apevia X-Cruiser
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    Memory: 4GB Corsair Dominator 800Mhz
    PSU: Corsair TX750W
    Gfx: XFX nVidia 8800GTX
    HDD: 320GB Western Digital Caviar

Monitor resolution: 22'' (1680x1050)

Storage requirements: Use exisiting HDD

will you be overclocking: yes, but have never done before.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): None

Extra information about desired system:

Will be using my 8800GTX untill Fermi has landed. Considering selling my PSU to purchase a modular one.

Was thinking of the Core i7 920 if i can stretch to it.

However i saw this bundle, ignore the retailer what do you think to the specs of the bundle for the £.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-042-OE&groupid=43&catid=339&subcat=

2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

no no; bundle not really a good idea. a core i3 is for pussies, normal consumers and media centers. not for hard core bit-techers.

take an i5 750 or something in the genre. an i7 is fantastic if you can find it at a nice pricepoint. but if you're overclocking, i'm not sure of the 920. maybe taking the 860 is a better deal?

any idea for the case? i personally am a antec p182 or p183 fanboy.

3. trig

trig god's little mistake

personally, if you're only use really is gaming, i wouldn't touch it. a new video card is really all i can see that would benefit you for the cost involved.

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

This really depends on whether gaming is the only thing you do with this system. If it is, then trig's right - you have no need for a more powerful CPU and the like. If on the other hand you do almost anything else with it, then a quad-core will bring a new speed and responsiveness to it. (BTW, alpaca couldn't be more right - the i3 is an incremental upgrade over your current system and not particularly suited to anything more than gaming - and if another dual core plus video card is what you want there are cheaper AM3 systems that are just as good.)

Yezwhat? Surely if overclocking is going to happen it makes more sense to buy the cheaper 750 and overclock it past the 860? :confused:

£600 is not enough for a full i7 920 system. However, if you can be persuaded to keep your entirely adequate PSU and case, and the £600 doesn't include the graphics card you're delaying, you can definitely do i7. If the £600 does need to include the graphics card (keeping the cash until Fermi lands) you'd be better served by i5 750. For i7, you will want to take a look here;

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 £199
    CPU Cooler: Titan Fenrir £32
    TIM: Arctic Silver 5 £6
    Motherboard: Asus P6T SE £140 / P6T Deluxe £201 - The SE is the best of the sub-£150 'boards, the Deluxe is the best of the 'boards, especially for overclocking.
    RAM: Patriot Viper 6GB 1600Mhz DDR3 CL9 £111
    HDD: You're keeping your old one.
    GPU: You're keeping your old one until Fermi.
    PSU: You're keeping your old one.
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7240S-0B £18 - Obviously all CD/DVD-RWs are essentially all the same, so any will do.
    Chassis: You're keeping your old one.
    OS: Microsoft Windows 7 x64 - Do you need to budget for this?

Total: £506 with SE, or £562 with the Deluxe

For i5, you will want to take a look here;

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 £138
    CPU Cooler: Titan Fenrir £32 - Be aware that on small-form-factor motherboards, this can obstruct taller-than-standard-height memory, so watch your clearances.
    TIM: Arctic Silver 5 £6
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 £82
    RAM: Geil Value 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3 CL9 £85 - for s1156, RAM voltage shouldn't exceed 1.65v, with 1.5v preferable, and to work with the Fenrir it should also be standard height. This complies with both requirements; any other 1600Mhz DDR3 CL9 will be OK if it does too.
    HDD: You're keeping your old one.
    GPU: You're keeping your old one until Fermi and we're setting aside cash for it now.
    PSU: You're keeping your old one.
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7240S-0B £18
    Chassis: You're keeping your old one.

Total: £361, which leaves the thick end of £240 for your new graphics card, which is above what you need at the moment for a 5850; if you can find another £40 or so by the time Fermi arrives a 5870 will be within reach. If that's not going to be enough, you can try carrying over your optical drive and the like to save more money. After that, it's best to just buy a new graphics card for your current system and save more money for the upgrade; i3 is likely to be a waste of time for you.

If you do decide to switch out your PSU for a modular, I'd recommend Corsair's HX-series. For the 750, the Corsair HX450W £58, and for the 920 the HX620 or similar. If you do decide to switch out your case, a good cheap gaming case is the Antec Three Hundred (£43). Also, your old HDD - is that SATA II, SATA I or IDE? I'd highly recommend a new one, if you can afford it - specifically, the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (£55) as your HDD is the slowest part of your build.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2010
  5. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Cheers for the suggestions thus far,

The £600 was to not include a Gfx card as for the resolution i'm playing at i feel an 8800GTX will last me until Fermi no?

I do plan to change the case mainly because the case i have currently is very poor for cooling and really isn't to my taste anymore!

The case i'm leaning towards is the Lian-Li PC P50 though the new Coolermaster 690 II is looking good (Hoping for a Bit-Tech review.

The £600 is really for the Case, CPU, Memory and Board.

If i decided not to overclock (seen as i don't know what i'm doing), would this change which processor to go?

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

You seem to keep your hardware for a few years looking at your old rig (i bought the eaxct same stuff 3 years ago!) so with that id just get the best platform you can afford.

7. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Yeah i do, i spent my student loan on that stuff 4 years back and now i have money to spend since i'm earning so i'll be able to afford Fermi later in the year.

Thats why i'm thinking of pushing for the i7 920 now.

8. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

750 will run most games faster than the 920 once over clocked.

9. PureSilver

Both the 750 and the 920 are great overclockers, and neither is particularly difficult to get right. Since you can afford it, I'd go for the 920 which should be the 750's equal in gaming and considerably faster in other scenarios - it's also much better in memory-bandwidth so if Fermi news ends you up in SLi or X-fire, X58 is a more solid platform.

In terms of what to buy, since the £600 doesn't need to include the GPU, I would go for the 920 build plus the Antec case I suggested. I would in fact go for the cheaper motherboard in order to also buy a new HDD (the Samsung); you'll miss it if you don't have it. If you can sell the remainder of your build to free up cash get the more expensive motherboard, obviously. Enjoy! :thumb:

Snuffles likes this.
  10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I don't even think you'll need a new GPU, that 8800GTX will have enough grunt, so go with SIlver's idea and go straight for the CPU upgrade.

11. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Cheers guys, i think i will try and push the boat out for the 920, I prefer the idea of 6GB of DDR3 over 4GB too.

I reckon i'll notice a significant improvement over my current rig. Payday and Birthday this weekend :D

12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Here is how i'm shaping up:

Mobo: Asus P6T SE, Intel X58, Sok 1366, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2000/1866/1800, SATA 3Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX - £140.02

CPU: Intel i7 920, D0 SLBEJ S1366, Bloomfield, 2.66 GHz, QPI 4.8GT/s, 8MB Cache, 20x Ratio, 130W, Retail - £205.82

CPU Cooler: Titan Fenrir TTC-NK85TZ 120mm PWM 17dBA+ "HDT" CPU Cooler (775/1156/1366/K8/AM2/AM3) - £28.81

Case: LianLi PC-P50B Armoursuit, Black, Aluminum Mid Tower Gaming Case, W/O PSU - £113.94

Total: £488.59 Delivered from Scan

Memory: Patriot Viper Extreme Performance 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Triple Channel Kit - £108.03 Delivered from Aria

Total: £596.62

Now this is including the obviously awesome CPU Cooler, If i get this setup i figure i'll have to learn to OC so will need the CPU Cooler right?

With the Mobo do you think the Asus P6T SE is better than the Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R as recommended by Bit-tech in the Nov 09 Hardware round up? The reason i ask is well with that Memory the colour scheme works better :p We all know that matters ;)

Also what are people's opinions on eBay shops? I've seen a buy it now Retail Intel Core i7 920 for £190 from a Powerseller. Whats your opinions on eBay like that?

Last edited: 15 Feb 2010
  13. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

Silver, if i ever need build advice I'm gonna hunt you down. To the OP, please post pics when you get it off the ground.

14. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Screw the Gigabyte board, go with Asus option.

I got the gigabyte board and I'm not impressed.

15. PureSilver

I'd stick with the Asus, but that's only because I've got a P6TD and it's frankly awesome; I'm not knocking the Gigabyte, I just have no experience with it. Other than that eBay is usually just fine if you stick with recommended sellers with plenty of history, so I wouldn't worry about that. It'll probably take a bit longer to arrive, though. Post pics when it's done!

16. trig

im curious what ur not impressed about?

17. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Ah well i was only looking at it as i liked the aesthetics...

I'll have alook at eBay then too, but so far it looks like i'll get what i want for <£600 including the aftermarket cooler :)

18. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Ugly, badly laid out and odd bios quirks. Very much wish I had gone for the Asus option now. Is there a RoG 1366 ATX board out yet?

19. trig

surely you saw it's ugly looks before you bought it?:D

it's definitely not a board you want looking back at you through a case window, but other than that, a pretty solid board. haven't noticed any odd bios quirks myself. i guess for me it would depend on price/options and whether or not i was going to see it everyday.

havent used the asus, but looks to be worth the few extra bucks

20. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

First parts ordered, will order the rest on payday monday! Decided to order the CPU and Memory tonight as Aria had them on offer! Intel Core i7 920 + 6GB DDR3 Patriot Viper 1600mhz for £307