1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone hackers banned from App store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Feb 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I think they are definitely just not pleased with people pissing around with their stuff so they pressed the big red ''ban'' button and are probably sat somewhere giggling to themselves.

Oh well, these guys will probably find a way to circumvent the ban in the next few weeks and release that as well!!

3. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Well what did they expect. Jailbreak any piece of electronics, particularly consoles prior to this, then a ban tends to happen. Hackers always spout this crap about exposing flaws in the system for the benefits of mainstream users, if they meant it they would tell the company privately rather than broadcasting it to the world. Unlike Microsoft, Apple might get off its backside and resolve whatever the problem was.

I'd hardly call protecting your products and your market, a "vendetta".

4. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Because MS doesn't release new patches for its OS every month and Apple does?

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Its a very petty response from Apple. It would make sense if they were exploiting the itunes store, or if all jailbreak users were banned. As it stands its just a few people being singled out because Steve doesn't like them anymore.

6. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Well as far as I know Apple might choose to put some bugfixes in its next version/OS update, but they've never waited six months in web browser terms - (happy to put my hands up if I'm wrong).

7. rollo

rollo Modder

They may ban all jailbreak users eventually or force you to always update the iPhone which would do the same thing
    psp did it with games update or you can't play, ms the same,

Apple will start fighting back I'd guess. Of all people who jail break I'd bet less than half have good intensions of just using a diffrent phone company ( don't agree with locked handsets)

The rest just want free app store content that some pirate sites offer.

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Hashim has been unbanned since he never released his "security infringing material", AFAIK.

9. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

I doubt this will make the iPhone any more secure or lessen jailbreaking. It's not like these guys will go, "Damn I've been banned, I guess I won't make jailbreaks anymore." Quite the opposite, I would assume.

10. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

It's a punitive measure, not protecting their products and market.

11. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Waving the Ban hammer around!

12. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Maybe it is a small solution from Apple, but at the end of the day it's a sign they aren't stupid ... unlike the fool who used his own name in his Apple ID ... lol

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Funny thing is If this was Microsoft or son there would be lawsuit
    apple just bans

14. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Yeah, go at them! Its not like they will just create a new apple id....

15. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I wonder when they will start banning people who give their products bad reviews?

16. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

You know, this is like sneaking candy into the movie theater. Would a movie theater ban you forever if they caught you?

17. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

The banning seems fair and all, but being unable to access products they legitimately purchased? Now that's BS.

18. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

This is a really dumb move by Apple. Because of the exploit that enables iPhones to be unlocked to any network, more people will be buying iPhones as it means they can use there current sim card.
    For many people, the networks that a particular phone can operate on is a big deciding factor in determining which phone to buy, so if people want to keep using there sim card they will be limited to only phones of the same network (or open network), or phones they know they can unlock.

19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Wouldn't they already have downloaded any content they'd bought?

It's not as if iTunes lets you re-download anything once you've bought it - as far as I can see the only thing Apple has done is stop them from getting updates to apps they've bought and stop them from purchasing anything else, apps or media (through that account).

20. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I don't get what these guys have down, Have they stole anything? have they allowed millions of people to access the catalogue of apps for free or something?

Tags: Add Tags