1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Piano Black Finish

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Candyviper, 19 Feb 2010.

1. Candyviper

Candyviper What's a Dremel?

Hello. I was just wondering If it was possible to make a piano black shiny glossy finish on a case like the ATCS 840. Also it would go on a panel with a sort of intricate window cut(see my other thread) and I was wondering if I should do the finish before the cut or after. Also would cutting that kind of finish cause it to splinter or crack? And how would it look with a black and orange color scheme?

Thanks,
    Candyviper

2. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Well I can answer a couple of your questions.
    First yes you can get a piano black finish, try searching for the numerous threads on painting

Second you will definately want to do any cutting first, even if you don't 'crack' the finish, you will mar it something serious. Cut first, trial fit, cut again, then when it is all set paint it up.

Third Black and orange would be cool, reminds me of a Harley Davidson though

3. Candyviper

Thanks for the advice. When I said I want to use black and orange I mean black with Orange accents like sleeving and maybe some orange lights to cast an orange glow. I think that something like that would look good. If you seach Silent ContexYZ it is one of my all time favorite mods! I love how when the lights are off most of the case is black but there are some highlighted areas and it just looks amazing!!! Anyway, Thanks for commenting.

Thank You,
    Candyviper

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

To get the best finish you're going to need to do a good amount of prep work

1. sand (60-120 grit)
    2. prime
    3. sand (320 grit)
    4. prime
    5. paint
    6. sand (800 grit)
    7. paint
    8. clear coat
    9. finish sand (1000, 1500, 2000 grit)
    10. rubbing compound

Should be "piano black" if you do it right

BTW try to use the same brand spray paint for primer, paint and clear coat. And make sure to follow manufactures recommended re-coat and dry times

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Or maybe get it powdercoated and save yourself a lot of work?

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Then it wouldn't be piano black would it.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

have to agree, except i would leave it a week before clear coat is applied, do a 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit to buff the paint finish, tack then apply clear coat in a warm but low humidity environment, if the humidity is too high then the clear coat with cloud which requires stripping it all off and starting again.

finishing sanding of 1000,1500 and 2000 will only thin the protective layer of clear coat, so I suggest getting the paint finish spot on perfect, clear coat it, then buff with a rubbing compound.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yes, it's possible to achieve such a finish, and not just with black paint ;) You need to be aware though, that this takes an inconceivable amount of time. Unless you have attempted something like this before, you won't realize how time consuming it is until you actually start into the prep work. It takes me roughly 3 weeks from start to finish on a midi tower case like an Antec 300. That's from the time my first sheet of sandpaper hits the first panel to the last coat of laquer goes on. After that, there's a further 3 week curing period before I buff it down with rubbing compound and apply the several layers of wet shine wax as laquer takes a long time to cure 100%.

I'm not trying to put you off or anything, but to do it properly you literally need about a month per case. Three weeks minimum.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

or an afternoon with a paint booth and oven! lol!

10. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

11. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

Also, check out the macro black article here on bit-tech. A high gloss effect was achieved by painting the backside of an acrylic panel, so the plastic was effectively a huge layer of clear coat.

12. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

First clean it, then heat it to around 100C, then while it's still hot paint it with enamel spray paint.
    Looks like a powder coat.

13. Candyviper

Thanks guys. I'm thinking that I'll just do the Prime, Sand, Prime, Sand etc. I think that I've seen stuff like that before and seems the most foolproof. Anyway, Thanks So Much for the replies. Just one more question, what are your recommendations for paint brands. I'm almost definately going to be using some kind of spray paint and one that is easily available(I'm thinking Home-Depot, Lowes etc.) but I think that I have also read something about putting automotive paints in a spray can? I dont know, and would love some suggestions.

Thank You,
    Candyviper

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I do bake my panels mate. Curing to the point where you can actually compund or wet sand the laquer without doing more harm than good still takes a matter of weeks.

It all depends on what type of paint you are using. I can guarantee that you don't get a piano black finish on a case in an afternoon though, no matter how good you are at painting or how good your equipment is. It's a lengthy but worthwhile process.

A lot of Translink Ulsterbuses over here are still painted like that Josh :)