1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Which graphics to replace Nvidia 6600?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iskador, 21 Feb 2010.

1. Iskador

Iskador What's a Dremel?

My PC is a little old now (specs below) I've been recently getting up to date with all the new hardware available (mostly reading Custom PC). It has all been very confusing to say the least.
    My intention is to build from scratch as that is what I did with my current one.
    I have already purchased Windows 7, a OCUK Mod Xstream 600w psu, Antec P183 case and two extra fans: sharkoon slient eagle. I'm just about there with the funds to purchase the next bits - Intel i5 750, gigabyte m/board, 4gb ram, dvd rom. But the graphics card options are really confusing. Custom PC recommends a GTX260 for my budget £130 ish, but I cannot find anywhere that has them in stock. My second option was a ATI 4870, but can't find those, nor the 4890's. I see ATI have released new DX11 cards but the reviews are confusing as they speak for 22" plus monitors.
    It is my intension for the forseeable future to continue using my 19" Viewsonic VP920.
    What are my alternatives?

M/board: Gigabyte GA7n400V Pro
    CPU: Athlon XP 2200+
    RAM: DDR 1536mb
    Graphics: Nvidia 6600 256mb Turbo
    HD: can't remember
    DVD + CD: Lite on
    PSU: 400W something or other
    Case: Overclockers Typhoon
    Monitor: Viewsonic VP920 19"

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Go for the HD5770, GTX260s are obscenely expensive and the HD4870 is a bit power hungry.

3. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

The 5750 is also a good card. My friend got one and was content with its performance.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

^^ What he said.

5. sHORNY

sHORNY What's a Dremel?

its fecking awesome :)

6. shah

shah Minimodder

I would suggest a HD5770. I am using one and pleased with it. One problem ATI is so rubbish at their drivers. Still have problems when i browse. (the cursor will have very big font and some times grey screens). Games run very fine though. See the link below:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-222-SP.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

GTX 260 is hard to find to it's low production, as manufacture wait for or produces the coming up Geforce based on the Fermi architecture.

I'll be surprised that when it's release it will fit your budget. You are better off with ATI 5000 series for now.

If you have an old HDD (SATA1 or IDE), I would recommend a new one. The HDD (even a new one) will be the main cause of crawling your computer down (it wont' affect performance as is.. it's just that it will be slow to open program, save large project, load games, start windows, and so on.. anything that uses the HDD). Newer 7200RPM HDD are faster than the older IDE HDD's, and is welcomed. The ideal solution would be a SSD, but in my opinion it really not the time to even think about one. Way to expensive, and their capacity (30, 60, 80GB) is a joke for today, unless you are willing to pay one that might cost just as much as the rest of your computer.

8. Iskador

Iskador What's a Dremel?

Thats very useful. Thanks for the advise. I hadn't considered the power consumption of the graphics card and the 5770 seems about my budget range. I can imagine this card is going to be astonishing compared to my 6600. My last new game was Doom 3 and this pc has trouble playing that at high settings.
    I will have to buy a new DVD-rom drive and hard drive. both are currently IDE. Back in 2006 when I last upgraded the dvd writers were £200 or so and I was just looking on overclockers uk and theyare now £20, amasing!. For the hard drive, the solid state drives look poor value for money. I was looking at Samsung F3 which seems to have good reviews.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The jump for a 6600 to a 8800GT is HUGE! Now with the GTX 260 it even bigger, and again bigger with the ATI 5000 series.
    Be prepared to play your favorite, latest games at max max setting at 1920x1200 (16:10 - 24inch monitor) screen resolution without any trouble.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

main dif is if you want an easy driver install vs performance

260 if you can get it will still beat 5770 5750 ect. And it has much better drivers.

no competion for 5850 though so you got put up with ATI crap drivers

Nvidia pro drivers
    ATI crap drivers

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

whats wrong with ATI drivers ?

mine work just fine never had an issue with them for my 4870 and had my pc over a year

12. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

I know the majority of the thread is saying bout the gpu however something i noticed is that you are looking to get a new dvd drive. why i see u already have one. i am sure there is a explanation but no need buying new one if you dont need one.

13. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Perhaps changing an ide for a sata one? Makes for a much tidier build.

14. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

as i said probably a good explanation but just wanted to potentially save him a few spondools