1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maps

Discussion in 'Game Server' started by Kyser Soze, 20 Feb 2010.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Deal. I play as "Uni!" or "Unicorn" mostly, "[Genuine] Flame" or anything else with the [Genuine Gaming] tag on if I'm getting flamed a lot. Our whole roster adopted different names when playing on certain public servers so that people didn't actually know it was us. That's where my alt name "Flame" came from. I got flamed for AWP clutching on pub servers all the time. The rest just got flamed for "hacking" :rolleyes:

I'll be on some night this week. Need to get the new wiring for my gaming rig finished and get it back together tomorrow.

2. [67] Braveheart

[67] Braveheart The rage is strong in this one...

Couple of quick points.

Assault - Not the most exciting of maps, and I was one of the whining gits when this all kicked off last time. Saying that, I've tried to improve my approach to the map. I don't think I've actually been any more successful, but I am enjoying it more. Whether that be trying to rush in as ct, or doing something like getting the entire terro team to rush has made it more fun.

Uni - Sorry mate, but I've played a lot of 5v5. The tactics and skills needed compared to 16v16 is as similar as black is to white. AWP's make it much easier on ct. I would be more than happy for you to prove me wrong though, anything that improves the map.

Other maps - I actually love Dust and Aztec. Would put the 2 of them in my top 5 or 6 favourites. And that's as terro. Only enjoy them as ct when the t's are doing well. Everyone has their own favourites though.

Also, something I saw more of a while back, and less so now - Regulars offering to swap sides. Let's be honest, if you spawn as ct on assault, and see a terro team lining up with the likes of Jan, Carrera, Jin, Cavey, Slick etc then your instantly up against it. I've seen many of the admins swap, Dutch being a regular example, but maybe the regs can offer it a bit more? And I include myself in that too.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

As have I. I started playing CSS at launch, and had access to (but was not an owner of) a beta copy for a couple of months beforehand. I'd been playing Counter Strike for a couple of years before that too. Two months into playing Source I was recruited into a clan and I was there until it's CL and some main members left, 4 years later. I was left in charge (was previously co-CL) but had not the time on my hands to restart and run the clan.

I've played countless times on Assault, both public servers and 5v5's. Occasionally, there were insanely fun community matches which were either 9v9 or 16v16, depending on the map which we would take part in. I would be more than happy to prove you wrong some night this week if you're on. Like I said, I need to get my current gaming PC's new wiring looms buttoned up and get it reasembled today. I'm heading back down to the workshop shortly to do that, so hopefully I'll see some of you guys on the server this week. Time to see if a month of playing Insurgency (excellent mod, highly recommend it!) has affected my reactions any ;)

4. Kyser Soze

Kyser Soze played by Kevin Spacey

Well the solution is clear then Rogan - simply make it a rule that this forum is for protesting bans or saying happy things! Rule 1 - "Any changes to the server won't happen so shouldn't be raised." But I don't think you want that. I'm sure you're a reasonable chap who has just become jaded because forums tend to collect negative criticism - positive criticism is usually reserved for the server or private chat. Because its so unbalanced it might seem like a personal attack.

I didn't write "omg assault suxors!!1! delete it" - nobody in this topic has yet done that. Just wanted to raise the issue outside the charged atmosphere of the game itself, as instructed.

I didn't look up tl;dr (not that there is any shame in that, knowing internet acronyms is never a source of pride) - but rather linking to a good definition (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl;dr ~four posts down) of why tl;dr is usually a lie.

Big hugs,

Kyser Soze.

5. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

There's a way to get what you want, this totally isn't it.

The problem I have with some maps, is when you try and get your team to do something, and they totally don't listen. So despite being on the harder team, you can't even formulate a tactic to make a good go of it. That's when I log off and do something else.

But that's nothing to do with the way the server's run.

I've noticed less players on lately, quite often it's been 10v10, which isn't nearly as fun as 16v16. I hope that sorts itself out as people get bored of whatever it is they're doing instead.

6. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

Yeah anyway, so assault then

Pro's
    Being at the front of the map list cycle its good to get the server going with less players playing it.

Dust 2 is next lol

Con's
    Once 9 players or more are on both team's (9v9) thats when the map starts losing its class.

And so on.....:lol:
    Im going to play some BC2 beta now but might be on CSS later :rock:

7. Weazle

Weazle Jason Bourne's love child

Hey make it simple ..... on maps like Assault, Compound, Militia, Dust & Tides when the biased team is up 5-0 and there's an admin on ... swap everyone to the opposite teams ;)

The mass team swapping occurs but not enough and not frequently enough when admins are on. I'd be happy to play crap maps in the knowledge that everyone gets a fair chance of being on the easy team :thumb:

8. L Plates

L Plates Irritating annoyance

I don't particularly like some maps, we all know a few can be ridiculously unbalanced. We've all clicked auto and immediately thought 'balls' (or something to that effect.)

Whilst I agree mass team swap can be a solution I'd rather it not written as a rule, you probably don't mean that Weaz but I do want to make the distinction. I can already envisage cts rushing with default pistols for the first five rounds to save money in the expectation they can be on the campfest that is t for the next five. Alright servers I've played that do this aren't quite that bad but it gets the point across. I don't want the team swaps more frequent though since they'll be considered the norm rather than the unexpected woo!

Personally I'd rather leave admin to make a decision based on situation themselves if this should happen, why should team swap happen if no one is really trying or simply camping it up to be last man dead. By the same token we surely don't want to get in to an arena of 'admin please throw me a bone and swap the teams', I'd even rather make a rule if it's requested sod it don't do it. I would like to see more involuntary player swaps though but again admin common sense rule (hmm). That man been ruling the last few maps on easy team, swap him.

I like the idea of a random map per week and certainly more maps means the ones you don't like are less frequent but as Rogan will happily point out try finding one we can all be happy with, you won't, I could mention a few but someone won't like them. Perhaps the odd custom variation on a standard map could be tried as a random replacement as well. Maybe allow admin to throw in a completely random map occasionally to spice things but again I'd rather this was not the norm so when it does happen it's the unexpected woo! again.

The problem is as I'm sure admin will tell you we've been round this again and again but oddly the server works as it is. I guess in short summary if anything tiny tweaks as above but nothing else.

9. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

I don't like team swapping and weapon restriction, I play to get better, that doesn't apply in those crazy scenarios.

10. Weazle

You don't get better by having it easy and sitting in 1 spot either mate ;)

Its situations when you're outnumbered that you'll find your best comes out ..... if you're winning all the time you get complacent/lazy.

11. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

118 118 :thumb:

12. DJ Hughesy

DJ Hughesy What's a Dremel?

but i always lose and/or are outnumberd, shouldnt i be *good* now? :p

but yea assault i dont mind it, provided brave makes them rush, or something diferent happens camp fests are boring because i always normaly die first and watching people camp in spectator is never fun :p

13. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

Well I am one for getting rid of some of the more one sided maps cs_assualt especially. But others that I would like to see removed would be de_dust and de_prodidgy although both really good maps they just suck 16vs16.

I would also like to see some of the more well know custom maps added to perm rotation such as de_contra and de_season both of which are fairly balanced and maybe other maps such as de_strike.

Oh and hello one and all. :D

14. cherryghost

cherryghost What's a Dremel?

i hate assault, but god... when the server is full, when Assault is on, its the only time i can get into the server :p

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Have to agree that Assault is a server killer. any largish teams make it a T Camp fest as theres no route in for the CT. i wouldnt be sorry to see it dropped from the maplist to be honest.

Greeting earthing btw

16. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

My alias on CSS is Spitfire I recognise a few of you guys from the CPC server love playing on there the thing I will say is that I normally leave when it comes on as I cannot stand it. In the past people on the server moan and asked can we change map but doesn't happen as I understand people do like that map.

I miss custom map Wednesday! Bring it back please xxx

17. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I think fu is doing a monthly custom map thingy. He likes to spend some time sorting out the maps for it.

18. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

Ah wicked :) tbh I don't get to play It that much as my brother is hogging the bandwidth on COD WAW :(

19. Green-Hornet

Green-Hornet I am Green and I Sting

I hate every map, the days where I could lead a leader board are far gone.
    I hate all maps because my head is twice the size of the others and its a prime target.
    I hate all maps because I am contantly watching for moaning grunts who try to spoil the game for those who just get on with it.
    I hate all maps because silly comments spoil everything that is supposed to be fun

This server has always had a very good reputation on being friendly,inciting people to mass suicide on a particular map is just childish, and does not help those who try to play the game.
    I was on tonight, and the CT wiped our camping backsides on assault.
    Well played to those CT, I say.

You have to remember that all maps are subject to personal choice, some will like, others will not.
    If the server plays a map you do not like then just leave, and let those who wish to play, play.
    I keep my mouth shut and just play, as there are no ranking I dont care if I am at the bottom, I only care that I have had some fun.:wallbash:

20. Weazle

Have we reached 500 posts yet? :hehe: