1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building My Brother A Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m0o0oeh, 20 Feb 2010.

1. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

when neither is overclocked, and you are running a single (or not highly multi-threaded) application, the i5 750's higher turbo boost will make it slightly faster than the i7.

2. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Thanks for all your comments so far, they certainly are giving me plenty of thought... I'll be revising the list as time and money goes on. Rest assured I'll be coming back with the revisions as time goes on

3. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Thats quite crazy leaving a 920 at stock, when everyone buys the 920 with the reason of overclocking the socks off it. Its like saying a Pentium 4 beats the core i7 in some tests, as long as the frequency is 1GHz and its a single threaded application. Hardly beating it when your not actually unlocking its full potential.

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

OH! Now I see! I think I'm learning more from this thread than OP is. :blush:

This is what happens when lots of people get very into a single game; they'll try anything to gain an advantage and that means the people that don't play it - i.e. me - are confused by all the shorthand language and phrases we don't know... :sigh:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. Also, Sh0cKeR, the point is that WoW just won't profit from the 920, even if it is overclocked. It just doesn't demand enough from the system.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

To be fair, the OP never specified that he or his brother would be overclocking. Seeing as the majority of computer owners don't overclock, it's safe to say that no answer means stock only.

Also, again to be fair, if you're talking overclocks be sure to account for the 750 being OC'd as well. Looking at a few reviews/guides the 750 was hitting 4+GHz OC'd for some people. Perhaps still slower than a well OC'd 920, but certainly nothing to laugh at, and faster than stock turbo boost.