1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC X Series 20.10.2010 Its over, finished, complete. Come one come all :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 1 Feb 2010.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Long time no update, been quite busy with work -_-

Im going in today to do some cuts so there's bound to be some updates when I get back.

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Okay its 2am, spent a while designing a cut run for tomorrow. I have a feeling that this cut run will take a long, long time. Once I hit the go button, im out for a coffee *I really need one*

So to explain whats going on here....

[​IMG]
    1. The X series bit is a cover for the radiator and also acts as a fill port for the system.

2. The array of holes is for the atx cables to go through when they have been sleeved. I also have 4 pin ones for the molex.

3. Theres also random bits for the front of the case for asthetics as well as asthetics for the power button.

4. The bigger holes are for water tube management, I have the water route figured out and its really complex but it will be tidy. Basically its going res > drain T line > pump > rad240 > rad360 > CPU > Mosfet1 > Mosfet 2 > NB > SB > Tube reducer > fill T line > res

[​IMG]

All in all, 24 bitspower black sparkle compressions, 10 right angle compressions, two T lines and two stop caps have been assembled for the final loop. At approximately $8.00AUD a fitting (right angles cost more) -_- well you do the math.... There was also the copper to make the blocks and I have yet to even start on a GPU block because I dont have the GPU.

[​IMG]
    The fillport goes straight into the res at the highest point of the loop whilst the drain port is similiar, bottom of the loop and just before the pump and res. It will be possible to do complete drains and fills without much trouble at all and getting the loop started wont be difficult at all!

3. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

You should put the radiators after the CPU, that way your pump doesn't overheat.

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I thought the general consensus was that the loop eventually achieves a temperature equilibrium or is that fire I'm playing with?

The pump can operate up to 65 degree's water temperature and im quite sure it will never reach that temperature.....I am hoping it will never reach that temperature.

5. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

Yup, you're right. In fact it's preferable to put a rad before the CPU for extra cooling efficiency I believe.

6. llamafur

My thoughts are that the CPU would heat up the other components because they give off less heat. I think it should go like this
    res > pump > CPU > rad360 > NB > SB > Mosfet 1 > Mosfet 2 > rad240 >
    Then put your drain and fill ports in their best locations.
    Most of CPU heat would dissipated by the time it has exited the 360 rad. Then the components making less heat would getting cool water from the 360 rad. The CPU would get cool water from the 240 rad. This way all the components are kept cool instead of just the CPU.

7. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

Everyone has different ideas on the order but my loop would be;
    Res>Pump>T-joint with Ball valve for draining>SB>NB>MOSFET1>MOSFET2>360RAD>CPU>240RAD>Res.
    But that's just my choice and as this is not my mod, Carry on Djayness.

8. llamafur

Sounds like it'll work. I'm really loving the design of this case.

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Loop order makes ZERO difference. The only thing important is to have your reservoir right before your pump.

10. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Well, to be fair, having two radiators after another would NOT work if the first radiator cooled the water down enough so that the second radiator didn't do anything (effectiveness, ambient temperature, flow rate, etc)...but I don't think his radiators are that good.

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I believe this is correct, the pressure from the pump and heat in the system should all reach equilibrium.

I quote the radiator shootout by bit-tech! http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/05/23/radiator-shootout-1/4 Whatever radiator you use, there is a 2 - 3 degree difference between the high end and low end. Thats say the difference to turning on the aircon on or off or a slight rise in temps at midday.

I would argue that a 240 and 360 radiator can dissapate all the excess heat from 2 mosfets, NB, SB and the CPU. Maybe the loop would get a bit hotter if and when I put the graphics waterblock on but until then, how good my radiators are shouldnt affect the system temperature because the system wont reach a point that would cause the need of another rad or a better one.

Also having the two radiators next to eachother should allow a bit of headway when I do go and slot a 5970 on there.

12. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon What's a Dremel?

Even thoug putting radiators before the CPU will lower CPU temps (since water flowing through the CPU will be already cooled) it won't be much different. Just do the best loop you can regarding aestethics and order and you are set. As said, put the reservoir (higher and) before the pump for easy filling, but thats the only really important difference. I wouldn't care about 1 or 2°C difference on the CPU if I had to sacrifice the aestethics.

13. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Time for another update!

I am officially running out of acrylic, believe it or not, this case is featuring just short of 2.4m*1.2m acrylic inside.

[​IMG]
    Well not really, offcuts turned up around half of the material and I really need to do more cuts like the following, nice and bunched components. Wait.....

[​IMG]
    Shop vac to the rescue.

[​IMG]
    The aftermath.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yeah, doesnt look so badass in protective film. Have faith though, I designed this with badass in mind.

[​IMG]
    The radiator cover installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also managed to create those tube managers.

[​IMG]
    These are the holes for the ATX cable to go through, those wires will be MPDC-X sleeved in white :p

[​IMG]
    Booyah!

A big thanks to my sponsors!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

That case mod has the proper title! EPIC indeed as I said before!!!
    Mod on buddy! :)

15. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Wow nice work! Are you going to polish the acrylic edges?

Also i really do suggest with MDPC white sleeve that you either replace the cables with white ones, wrap them in white electrical tape or heatshrink them with white shrink. The colours bleed quite a bit.

16. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon What's a Dremel?

Amazing work, from a very talented modder, also i`m learning at the same time. Keep up the good work.

I am watching this with my "omg" face. :jawdrop:

17. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

You need a vacuum system on your cnc to collect the dust. :)

18. shakka65

shakka65 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the update. So far this mod has truly lived up to its name. This is indeed EPIC along with jaw dropping. This mod is well thought out. I can't wait to see the final product. Mod on.

19. LooseCannon

LooseCannon What's a Dremel?

wow, just went through the entire thread in one go. what fun I had looking at your creation. supa work there. keep rocking.

20. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Glad you asked, I will be getting a nice little creme brulee butane flamer.

I will be wrapping them with pvc electrical tape, that stuff isnt cheap though....

Thanks, I approve of the omg face :p

The only thing holding back completition is some international orders that are taking their time. The sleeving and lamptron switches are currently in delivery hell somewhere....