1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Ash stealth mediacenter. Small PC hardwareupdate 13/6-10

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by M.Ø.J, 20 Dec 2009.

?

Should i keep posting logs the way i do. Blurring what the build will end up looking?

1. Yes, thats gonna be more exciting than knowing what to expect.

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. No, id rather have the whole design shown, so i know where every part is gonna be located.

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Really dont care. Im just looking at pics, so i wouldnt know anyway.

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Let me correct you, it's not JUST a NAD T765, it's a NAD T765HD ;)
    Notice the AM100 and VM100 stickers on the back and you'll see.

It's in this amplifier all the fun starts in NAD, the lower end models are not that surprising, the 765HD and the 785HD they really kick competitors buds!
    (sure there is a 775HD too, but that's just a 765 with a "bigger engine")

Nice one! :rock:

2. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

This weekend have been excausting.
    Its just some 2 hours ago i had a chance to get all my candy out the boxes and fire them up.
    Ive had a hard on eversince.
    Didnt realise that music and movies could sound this good in my apartment.

Some of the candy that is gonna be involved in this whole build.

As mentioned earlier, my TV broke. I cant live without having a working mediacenter. So i had to go buy it.
    I already knew i wanted a LED TV, thinking of power consumption. And to be honest having gotten it home. The way it shows black is so damn close to plasma.
    At least i really cant se the diffrence.
    Since i was already at the store i had the salesmen setting up the HIFI system i want this to be in the end. And it was AWESOME !!!!
    So i bought the amplifier and two speakers that is going to become rear speakers when i get the rest of the equipment. ( Still gonna buy a center speaker, two frontspeakers and a subwoofer. Just gonna use the rear speakers as fronts till i get the cabinets for the electronics done. ( I havent yet decided on frontspeakers, im thinking of two kinds. Mostly it has to do with how it looks.
    [​IMG]
    My cats try to get some attention. Bet they could feel all i was thinking of, was whats inside the boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bought a DAC also. This is to be located between the PC Soundcard and the Amplifier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The NAD T765HD amplifier. This is capable of so much. When i get to know it im gonna write some more bout it.

[​IMG]
    Van Den Hull wires for the speakers. They cost some 20$ per meter. Thats what it takes if you want to get max out of a system like this. ( afaik )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dali mentor 1 speakers. They are going to become rear speakers once i decide on the rest of the system, and im done with the cabinets for the electronics.

[​IMG]
    Best picture i got that shows exactly how thin this screen is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The LED TV is a Samsung UE40B7070WW. Its gonna end up on the wall. Also when i get the cabinets done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The temporary setup. This looks like crap. But at least its all functioning.

Every time i have been building on the mediacenter itself the hardware for the PC have been screaming louder and louder that its not beautiful enough to get back into the case when its done. So its final.
    Thou im satisfied with my hardware im gonna put all new hardware for the PC except for a few of the harddrives.

Now its time to get back to modding and building. :D

Eat your toast and drink your beers.
    I shall return!!

Last edited: 15 Feb 2010
  3. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Hehe, i couldnt believe my own eye neither. Besides that it weighs some 40kg. A monster.
    I would still buy it even if it looked like a turd but still had all the power inside.

Hahaha. Nice one mate. The back panel does say it all .

Thanks. :)
    Im so looking forward to continue on all the projects. Hope i will keep on delivering.

Oh yes indeed. And im not even halfway there. Ive been saving for all this candy for several years. So beginning to go buy stuff for the whole build is feeling soooo fantastic.
    Seriously its a dream come through. :clap:

Yes sir. Somthing like that. Would be a sweet way to leave this world :D

Mmmm den er s[ ****ing nice. Selvom jeg "kun" har de "billige" hoejtalere sat til nu lyder det saa fcuk1ng dejligt.

Im loving it more than my girlfriend already. Even thou its almost heavier than her :D

So now its time to get back to modding and building. All this candy needs some neat suroundings. :)

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

i know that feeling!
    usually i just save up for ages, and when i have the cash the cheapass in me gets loose, and i save it:p

5. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

So, Movie night round M.Ø.J's then, Imax experience!
    I'll bring popcorn and some beers :p

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

That hardware is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet how many inputs and outputs>? :D

7. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

BTW just a little tip, want to do that amp justice?

Get some Paradigm floor speakers, IMO the best speakers for the money, and NAD does them just the right amount of justice they need.

( havde selv en NAD stereo med 120W paradigm højtalere og en PS1200 aktiv sub, selvom jeg slog subben fra, var Band of Brothers en ren oplevelse for hvert morter angreb!!)

8. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

I just noticed the picture of the unit with the internal cards part way out. Must notta loaded when I was here yesterday. That is un-friggin-believable! It's like a server rack of uber sound cards :p

9. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

I'm just loving those Samsung LED tv's, we have a 6000 series right here, that and the surround together, it's just heaven!

10. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Let me start by saying... OMG.
    [​IMG]
    This little devil turns out to be the most amasing thing.
    Maybe because i didnt expect that much from it.
    Its to be used for music only, turning digital streams into analog, between the pc soundcard and the amplifier.
    Or so i thought.
    Just plug it in a USB port. The PC makes it automatically into the main soundcard for the PC ( in other words, no need for a soundcard ) transferring the raw sound data to be converted to analog signal before hitting the amplifier.
    Play your favorite CD with your preferred mediaplayer. Should make you dance on the tables in no time.

Im really amased with this little sucker. Thanks Cambridge Audio :thumb: :D

lol ... No fun with having big amounts of cash if oyu aint spending .

Just get your ass over here, ill provide you with the snacks, beers and drinks. Oh, and the sweetest sound.

Oh my, many more than i can count to. I just dont have a real overwiev of what this is capable of yet. But i bet i wont have a need for more audio sluts for a loooong time :D

Have a look at this link Baekkel provided in post #100
    http://nadelectronics.com/products/av_receivers/T765-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver/

Didnt see you there at first. :)
    Im for sure gonna look at those. Hope HIFI klubben have them on stock :D

Jeg ved der ikke er meget lyd i Mentor 1 højtalerne i forhold til hvad jeg har i vente.
    Men for fanden de lyder godt alligevel. Tak for tippet :thumb:

I updated that post so many times. Might have been that i hadnt urled it yet when you had a look at the log.
    And indeed its a masterpiece. Incredible amplifier.
    Thats the option for Module Upgrades that Baekkel was also talking bout in #100. So when new standards arrive. Just change one of the cards.:D
    Have a look at this teaser video. Its boring the first minute. But thats the whole point of it. :thumb:
    http://nadelectronics.com/audio-topics/NAD-With-MDC

I agree, this tv is amasing when playing blueray movies. Plus its very beutiful as is. :)

Last edited: 17 Feb 2010
  11. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

That video's brilliant! I love the idea of a modular design, as easy as changing a PCI card in a computer!

12. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

More delays. More injuries.

Last week i had an incidence with a machine malfunctioning, throwing a blade at my hand, lucikly just damaging one finger.
    I could have had my hand ripped off. :waah:
    However im uncapable of working, which is a pain in the a$$. Even more painless not being able to build on my project. Might be a month before i can use my hand. :(

NOT FOR KIDS !

Dont look at this picture if you dont want to se sewen up fingers.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=8638
    Aint gonna post the picture. Its kinda gore.

So now all i can do is post pictures of more of the candy that has arrived.

More candy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Another Van Den Hul wire.
    This is for the connection between the DAC and the amplifier, connecting the PC for best sound possible with what i have.
    Damn it makes a diffrence. However it should. Each 1meter wire costs 100$.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The mouse for the build. This mouse is $w33t. Unfortunately the keyboard hadnt arrived yet. But its gonnna look deadawesome with this mouse.
    You can use it as a pointer. Being in no need of a desktop or other layers.
    It works deadly perfect with the 40" LED.
    Besides that i like the cockroach kinda look to it. The orange light in it make it look like somthing tken directly outta resident evil.

Just to let you know im still here. Just the injury holding me back from having somthing to log.

Be back soonish with somthing useful :)

13. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

OHGOD! Your poor finger! Musta hurt like a %$#@*!!

I was using my drill press last night and left the chuck key in the chuck >.< Thing threw itself across the room, narrowly missing my crotch.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Look at the bright side, when you can't work, atleast you have more time getting used to- and enjoying your lovely new equipment! I'd love to have that amp + speakers, you may keep the telly and DAC ;)

15. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Man more power to you. I dont get all that audiophile stuff, I dont see how that wire would sound better than a wire half that price. I mean cmon its just wire!

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i always wondered about that Air mouse... how does it feel working with it? Is it like using a laser pointer, or like using a mouse without a surface?

17. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

That is a little hardcore to do that to yourself, so you can sit at home and enjoy the new system. Hope it heals, as it should and we get more updates.

murtoz likes this.
  18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm not clicking that link!
    Whatever it looks like, I hope you heal up quickly.

19. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

I clicked it.. and ouch. It definitely made my heart skip a few beats. I do think you're lucky to still have a hand though. I hope it heals up nicely.

20. M.Ø.J

M.Ø.J Getting there!

Yeah isnt it . :)
    Must say i dont hope i will have to in the nearest future.

Ouch... Beware of that. Machines are dangerous :wallbash:

And it does hurt like hell in the morning. Then i take some painkillers, and im flying on skies.
    Got some good stuff. Thou i sleep all the time.

Hehe. Ive spent insane amount of hours the last couple of days only adjusting codecs for purer passthrough from pc to dac to amplifier.
    So yeah, im somewhat "lucky". If i had been able to work and build, it would have taken me way longer.
    Thou the painkillers have a flower power effect on me i intend to keep it all myself. :D

This has startet an endles amount of discussions.
    Its all that the wire is better coated and isolated, making it loss lesser of the signal passthrough.
    Sure you get less and less the more money you use. But if youre into sound it means the world.
    Just like buying a cpu. The more you spend on it the less power you get. And you wouldnt be buying the cheapest ram and cooling if you bought an expensive one.

For fun of it, dress up, bring your favorite CD to a hifi center. Tell them your budget is 10.000$
    Now tell them to setup two systems for you to listen to. One for 2000$, and one for 10.000$.
    Listen to your favorite track. :rock:

To be honest i hated it the first 3-4 hours i used it.
    Then it was like it began to adjust to how i moved it in air and on a surface. Honestly dont know if i just otten better with controlling it ( have to use my left hand offcourse), or if it also have learned from my movements.
    Thing is, it feels very natural and by now im feeling more comfortable using it in air than on a surface.
    Another thing is its design. It lays so perfectly in ones hand. Almost feels like the beutiful look of it is a result from making a mouse that would feel very natural holding in your hand.
    I cant imagine not having it by now.

[​IMG]
    Laying in the couch its so easy controlling the desktop on the 40" tv.

:lol: I know but i had run out of excuses to get days off :D
    And thanks. Doctors say it looks fine everything considered.

Thanks Cheaps. so do i. :)

Thats also what im thinking now and then. If i had had my hand horisontally instead. The blade would have passed through the hand, not longwards it.
    And thanks alot everyone. :)