1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 Release Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ImInTheZoneBaby, 23 Feb 2010.

1. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

nothing cool about my Honda I assure you ... Consonants or no consonants ...

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I guess your possibly refering to the new FCX (yep, theres the X) Clarity:D

Sam

3. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

I think Nvidia's going to focus more on the gpgpu front ,with fermi, than gaming. Fermi seems to be too high end for mainstream. For some reason the '6600gt launch with doom 3' came to my mind.That was a great launch!

4. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

cool lulz bros... but lets try this again shall we? (to be clear I am talking about american power 120v ac)

300*3 + 400 is indeed 1300w, but that is not draw from the wall, that is component draw which must be multiplied by the efficiency rating of the PSU to be the draw from the wall - 1300w * 1.15 = 1495w draw from the wall - add in a few watts here and there from your displays and god forbid someone plugs anything else in or you turn your 5.1 speaker system on for gaming and you have hit the 1800w breaker limit in most us homes.

and that's assuming you've got a brand spankin' new breaker in there that hasn't been tripped a few times, otherwise it will trip even easier.

its not even about nvidia, this is an industry issue here - 300w cards are NOT ok.

5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

it seems ATi and nvidia differ in this too - ATi made consious efforts to make their chips cooler and more power efficient, whereas nvidia dont really seem to give one. if there wasnt the 300w limit id like to see where they would have ended up

6. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) They may end up selling their latest and greatest in its own tower case complete with personal PSU! That would be one way to get around these things. IMHO some existing cards are already too big; I'd like to see more cards with Radeon 9700/9800 dimensions ... those were the days (although the HS were basic and those tiny fans a PITA).

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Before you know it you will be buying a separate case for your gfx cards....

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

To be fair, a high end card in a metal case, with optical relays for data going back to the case, with a seperate PSU isn't a bad idea.

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

nha, we will have GPU's that needs a motherboard 24pin connector, first :D
    NOW! We will play with power! (oh wait, that is Nintendo slogan)

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It'll allow more processing power, but it will be wasteful.

12. trig

trig god's little mistake

i wonder, does bit have anything in house they cant tell us?

edit:anyone see nvidia's stock today? nasty...

Last edited: 25 Feb 2010
  13. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

14. GoodBytes

Stock's don't reflect reality. The stock can be at 0, and Nvidia can be fully operational and making profit every day, the same way that the stock can be hugely popular and Nvidia calls for bankruptcy.

In any case, Nvdia stock is doing quiet well. It was far worst in 2002-2005. They even did well during the crash of 2000 (dot-com bubble). They also split several times during the period of (2000-2007). So, yes Nvidia shape is pretty good. Once it reaches it's low, it's a good time to buy :)

15. nRollo

nRollo NVIDIA Focus Group

I have read several posts in this thread, and I have some questions for you guys:

1. Why would you think a pre-order ad from a relatively unknown website constitutes reliable MSRP for upcoming products? Has a preorder ad ever had the right price? Or do they jack up the price to see who bites and will pay that in hopes of getting one "for sure"?

2. Why wouldn't you believe NVIDIA when they say they're launching the products that day, 3/26? I've been under NDA with NVIDIA for years, I can tell this was not "an announcement of an announcement" - 3/26 is launch day.

3. Most of all- why would you believe Charlie Demerjian in regard to NVIDIA products? Charlie has an axe to grind with NVIDIA because they revoked his press privileges for violating NDA.
    Anyone remember Charlie's verbose explanations of how NVIDIA was doomed last gen because they couldn't possibly make GT200s at a price competitive to the HD4800s because they were too big, too low of yields? Right before NVIDIA sold everyone and their brother a GTX260C216 or GTX 275 for the same or lower prices as a 4870 or 4890? Point being this guy makes his living posting negative rumors about NVIDIA.
    They didn't get to be the market leader (including today, without even a DX11 card on the market) by being the bumbling oafs Charlie portrays them to be.
    Let's see:
    NVIDIA, worldwide leader in a high tech industry.
    Charlie, a web journalist who probably "publishes" out of an efficiency apartment on the wrong side of the tracks.

Who's more credible? Tough call, the rumor monger or the guys that day in day out shape the induistry.

16. nRollo

nRollo NVIDIA Focus Group

I just took a look.

It went down 3.3% since yesterday. If that's "nasty", what do you call AMD dropping 4.8% since yesterday?

"Godawful"?

Or could it just be the stock market rises and falls, and these are volatile times?

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

A company that regularly rebrands old technology doesn't really instill me with confidence. Not really what makes a "worldwide leader in a high tech industry that day in day out shape the induistry" in my book. But that's just my opinion.

18. trig

trig god's little mistake

fixed...lol

it dropped sharply in pre-market trading, but seemed to slow...i should have re-checked lol, but i'll say this, we have plenty of reason not to believe nvidia, im sure i dont have to point out all the things they have said/done over the past several months that ended up not being exactly on the up and up. i dont doubt that they will finally introduce a working fermi at that date. how much it will cost, how many if any will be available to the general public, etc is what i am curious to see...

19. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I wonder if by the summer a core i7 930 & fermi card will be the recommended premium player kit by bit-tech ??

20. GoodBytes

People believe it is reliable as it reflects the prices of previous Nvidia GPU products.
    I recall even the 8800 being 800$ Canadian at release.

Personally I believe the launch date of 400 series.

I like him! His bad press on Nvidia, makes Nvidia product more affordable for me to purchase.