1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mouse vs. controller

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by LucusLoC, 2 Mar 2010.

1. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

i am having a discussion with a friend about console controllers vs. mouse and keyboard. i know there was a game a little while ago that allowed allowed console and pc gamers to play together, and i am pretty sure that that 3was patched out after a little while. does anyone happen to know where to find info on that?

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

tell him he is no longer your friend and hit him in the face with your mouse.

3. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Quake III arena allowed Dreamcast and PC players to frag against each other.

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It was originally planned for PS3 & PC users to play UT3 together but EPIC didn't want their new console friends to run away crying after getting absolutely trounced so didn't implement it.

5. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

The most recent was shadowrun, which was a total farce.

If there was a console that had a proper open standard then cross platform games would become a reality. Until that time you're always going to get developers trying to balance the differences between PC and console controls, and that never ends well.

Q3 might have been ok, but IIRC the client you had to use to play dreamcast players wasn't the latest version. I remember having problems with it at the time.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2010
  6. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

It'd be nice if they opened up the L4D games cross platform so i could play with my brother and his friends.

PC/console co-op would be less of an issue than PC/console PvP

Well, L4D/L4D2 technically has both, but it's less 'twitchy' a game than most FPS's so controller/mouse should matter less :)

7. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

i seem to recall that maybe one of the halo titles had it pre-release, but i was removed because the consoles continually got smeared in testing?

my memory rarely serves me right on info like this, so thanks for the pointers.

8. October

October Mariachi Style

I used to think crossplay would be stupid because of the whole auto-aim thing a lot of console shooters use. Then I played (and got pretty good at) CoD4 on the PS3 online, without aim-botage and realised it might actually be pretty interesting.

Easiest way to test has to be two PCs, one person on keyboard/mouse and one on a 360 pad. Might test this out later in the week with Unicorn if Unreal 3 supports a pad... I'll let you know how it goes :D

I think I'll let him use the pad for accurate results, he's been racking up the hours lately...

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

fixed

10. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

lol @ Ghys, sooooo true though

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Halo 2 on PC.

apparently, it's got same xbox control and auto-aim if you use a xbox controller, so do that on one PC, while you play against him on another PC with mouse/keyboard.

if you want to see how easy auto-aim makes the game, simply watch a couple Modern warfare 2 videos, the snap aim feature makes aiming feel redundant. i always wondered why people bother to play FPS without a mouse.

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Dust 514 will be cross platform. And your mission barge will be open to aerial bombardment by eve universe players.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

what ? haha

14. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

I think the game was Shadowrun?

Mouse the easy win. While you can become accustom to using a controller IMHO it still feel lilke crap conpared to a mouse. Autoaim is easymode and just doing a simple think like looking around a room with an analog stick is weak compared to the instant gratifcation of the mouse.

If you want easy/casual then use a controller. If you want to play the game the way it was meant to be played with more challenge and fun factor then use a mouse/keyboard.

15. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I don't completely agree - keyboard + mouse is definitely the weapon of choice for FPS, RTS etc, but controllers (whether DualShocks or wheels) reign supreme over driving games, and having played a couple of consolised third-person games on PC (like Batman: AA) I'd say those play better with analogue sticks than a 'board and mouse. I'd consider an Xbox controller a necessity for a gaming PC if you can't/won't commit to a full-blown steering wheel (like I can't).

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Flying games if you don't want a joy stick! Ace Combat on my PS2... some good memories! :D or even some 'consolized' games like you mention. Assassin's Creed comes to mind, even Resident Evil 5. All play quite well on a controller (PS3 one preferred here, though). Final Fantasy XI could arguably be more fun with a controller as well. And let's not forget 2D fighters, Blaz Blue just isn't the same without a controller (and even better with full arcade cabinet). It's definately not accurate to say that mouse+keyboard is the best combo for all of gaming.

Of course, this leads to the heart of the arguement: controllers may be synonymous with consoles, and mouse+keyboard may be synonymous with PCs... but PC can have almost any peripheral attached and are superior for any game! :rock:

17. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

As a long time PC gamer, I have always hated playing PC games with a keyboard. Ever since gaming on the first home computers, I have always used joystick based controllers.

Apart from my own personal controller preference, there are, of course, games that technically play better with a keyboard and mouse.

However, for motor sport games and flight combat games, a keyboard simply cannot compete with the analogue controls of a wheel or dual analogue controller. Try to start a race in a sports car with no traction control using a digital keyboard and compare your start speed and car control to an analogue controller. The gas and brake pedals in a real car are analogue controllers for a reason.

18. October

October Mariachi Style

Well nothings been tried yet as I am sans internet atm and because we happened to run out of electric at about the same time the internet was turned off, I now have no access to Steam.

Would love to try with Halo but I'm the only person I know who has a PC copy.

Definite +1 to whooever said about 3rd person games, just bought the last Prince of Persia and didn't even attempt it on the keyboard, pad works beautifully.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

AC worked quite well with the Mouse+keyboard.

20. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

I could never get used to AWSD controls on the keyboard. I use a Saitek joystick with them mapped to the X,Y bands, and all the other controls mapped the buttons and hat, and the buttons on my mouse (Logitech MX Revolution so theres plenty). For Assassins Creed I had to use my P2600 (dualshock style controller), and driving games I use the R660 GT steering wheel and peddles. I might occassionally use the P2600 in Burnout Paradise for a bit of console remenisence (why'd they get rid of aftertouch?). The Saitek software is excellent, as is the Logitech software. I couldn't imagine going back to using a controller for First Person Shooters though. I don't even have a console anymore, GT5 has taken too long.