1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Driving

Discussion in 'General' started by Miffers, 2 Mar 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Congrats. Now you start learning to drive. Take it easy.

2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I passed a few months ago, you got less minors than me so congrats :D
    Pass Plus can be a good idea, check with your local council to see if they offer a cashback scheme, they covered nearly half the cost with mine thus making it fairly worthwhile, plus if you have a phobia of motorways it could help.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you don't do pass plus think about hiring your instructor out for an hour to take you motorway driving. They have their own rules and customs which are totally different even from a dual carriageway.

For the sake of £20-40 for an hour or so's driving it's totally worth it. Even if he doesn't do pass plus he can give you hints and tips and general info on the thing, plus you've already learnt from him so it makes it much simpler than trying to learn from a family member. That doesn't work well in my experience.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Congratulations, have fun and drive safe.

Also; think bike. :worried:

5. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

A mini you say? Good man! Look at Adrian Flux for insurance!
    Good guys, especially if you have a modified engine!

6. wst

wst Minimodder

Don't rely on comparison sites... best quote there for a Corsa C 1.2 for me was £3k (3rd fire and theft), went to a broker and got £2063, fully comp. Yeah, bloody expensive, but it'll drop as I age... right? :D

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Pretty much. When I was 17 I was paying about £1,200 for 3rd party only on my 973cc Corsa with some random insurer. Now I'm 21 and I pay less than £300 fully comp. on the same car with Direct Line .

8. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

Been looking around got a good quote but my mum is like hmm.. the mini is ok but i think we need to look at something reliable so i've been looking the general corsa/punto/clio and get quotes for like £2000+ WTF!

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

For the love of god take what ever your mum is willing to pay, it won't last long ;)

Gratz on the license, I never bothered to get one and now it really bites as my passport expired and I have no legal ID.

10. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Flux you have to be 19.

11. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Congrats man

12. DaveVader

No you don't I was 18 when i started my cover.

Ninja edit: don't get rid of the mini, you'll regret it, the mini is reliable if you look after it properly. At the end of the day though, I wouldn't buy a mini if I wanted a reliable, practical car; I got mine because it's awesome fun to drive, has a great community attached to it and will teach you a lot about cars.

13. bagman

bagman Minimodder

bloody hell thoses insurance quates are rediculas (my spelling is shoking i know) i have a audi A6 estate 2.5 litre £550 any driver and i am 17 still learning to drive looks like i got a good deal

14. DaveVader

How did you fix that then? There's no way you could get insured on even a 1l on that, let alone a 2.5l estate.
    I think there were some ill truths on the form.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Definitely. Insurance group 15 for a 17 year old? Unlikely. For £550, impossible. :p

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

What I want to know is who would be stupid enough to let a learner driver drive a 2.5L Audi A6 estate?

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

it is a 1999 audi and it is only so cheap as it is on the company and it has a very good record in the past 15 years or so

so i am just very lucky my dad owns the company so it isn't impossible and i am not lying by the way

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Congrates, I passed mine last year and got my first car last november. To be honest i find motorway driving so much easeir.

19. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

I wouldn't dream of getting rid my Dad uses it everyday! It would be the case of getting another car for me to use.

20. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Indeed - I'm 22, 4 years no claims, on a 2.0 A4 estate, and £1100 is looking great right now! *edit* Ahh, company insurance...

Congrads on passing though, and listen to all the advice on here - it's all been good!

@Jipa - just get yourself a Provisional, cheaper ID than a passport even if you never use it!

Last edited: 4 Mar 2010