1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Trip to Australia and New Zealand - planning stage!

Discussion in 'General' started by Vigil, 1 Mar 2010.

1. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

So, two of us want to get away to australia for the summer (june-july), and while we're on the opposite side of the world, we might as well hop over to new zealand.

The plan is about 4 weeks split between the two places. Looking for budget to low accomodation - camping if necessary. We're definitely thinking of hiring a car to get around for some bits.

Any help in any area will be more than appreciated. Places to go, things to do, how to best get around etc.

Both of us are hobbyist photographers so I'm searching around for more nature and scenery (both of which we'll get plenty of in either country I'm sure) The trouble is finding the best places in the short time we have.

I personally love the waters and will be taking any and every opportunity to snorkel/dive.

So forumites.... feel free to put in your 2 cents. :thumb:

2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Pack warm-ish. It's their winter. Depends on where you go though.

A few years ago I went on an east coast trip from Sydney to Cairns.
    Tangalooma is a nice tourist spot, if you want to pay for it. It's a nice park, you can pet some dolphins. Hervey Bay is a nice place to stop in as well.

3. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

If your heading over in winter i'd suggest northern New South Wales and southern Queensland, lots of good coast to be seen and it'll be warmer.
    But then again coming from Northern Ireland everywhere over here is warmer :p

4. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Cheers guys. will check those spots out. I'm hoping the tropics will still be warm in winter.
    It is feasible for two 21 year olds to rent a car in australia?

New Zealand will have snow I'm told.

Get it right, Northern Ireland is wet AND cold :p. We don't do it by halves.

5. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

over 21 you should be fine

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I envy you so much right now! I went there a year ago and all I can think of now is "**** this weather, a year ago it was all nice and warm.." ;) You're gonna be in a heck of a rush on four week trip, if you also want to see NZ, I spent three months going from Melbourne to Cairns and back. Seeing it's gonna be winter, I'd stay in the norhtern parts, it was june when I was leaving Melbourne and it was already quite chilly, they just can't build warm houses over there... I've lived in the arctic circle for 20 years of my life, but DAMN atleast we had warm indoors :D

There's so much to see and I missed so much of it I can't really help you, if I went there again, I'd rent a car and see the small places. I was traveling alone so hitting the small towns/coast wasn't easy. Blue Mountains and the Great barrier reef were the most astonishing natural stuff I saw. Deffo something I don't see back home :)

Oh and there's an Australia-set in my Flickr if you're interested..

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

i know loads of people who just bought a car and then sold it when they were done.

8. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

That's what I was afraid of. 4 weeks really isn't enough, but I'm not going to be in the vacinity again for a long time so I would like to see NZ as well.

Like the flickr set. :rock:

9. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

you will be getting the early ski season here in NZ, queenstown, wanaka, places like that,

you definitely want to visit Te Anau, if you are a photographer. one of the most beautiful places in NZ.

If you like planes, theres Peter Jackson's plane collection in Omaka,

10. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Yep, snow season south of Taupo. Up north here we get nothing! Taupo is a nice place too. You could always visit the Bay of Plenty, round here we have the most beautiful beaches in NZ. (subject to debate from other regions). Don't spend time in Auckland, just another boring city. Same with Wellington and Christchurch. The best parts of NZ are rural and coastal!

11. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

yeh. depends if your preference is towards white sand, or rocks, and shells, etc
    the coromandel is good for the white sand beaches, and then theres the west coast, which is goo for surfing

12. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

:O sounds like we have quite a few forumites from Australia and NZ. :clap:

Te Anau is going on the list. I've heard good things about the south island...

I think I'll b looking for the snowcapped mountain, rivers and lakes in NZ. Probably some coastline too but we may be sick of tropical beaches by the end of the Australia leg. Pity I'll miss the autumn colours :(

Ski-ing... heh, I loved it even after I skidded to a stop on my face on rather packed and icey snow. The boyfriend's not sure... something about broken legs :confused: Maybe I'll give snowboarding a go if given the chance, but the Alps are a short hop away for us if I ever want a quick and snowy death.

julianmartin: the car thing sounds like a good idea but not sure we can afford the time to buy then sell it in the time we have. BTW what sort of car is sensible? would a small hatchback be ok or is 4x necessary?

confusis: Agreed! If I wanted cities I would have stayed home :O

....Peter Jackson has a plane collection? :eyebrow: