1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Ultimate Debate: Dell XPS vs Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goodwood8, 4 Mar 2010.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you are going to say something, make sure it's constructive. If it's not, your a troll, and keep it for yourself, because no one cares. If you are sooo right, why don't you explain exactly what is in detail that says that you comment has any validity.
    And no I am not saying this because you said "get a Mac", I would say the same if it was the reverse. Then again, that explains why your post a count is higher then mine and have virtually 0 rep points.

Update: Thank you for updating your post - it has now: effort. Good.

2. GoodBytes

request to delete - double post

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Look at his sig. Enough said.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

If Dell hasn't totally messed something up, the i7 WILL be faster in Photoshop and just about every other use as well. In gaming the HD4670 is said to be faster as well. Then again if you like/can use/want Mac, then get one. It's a personal choice. I really don't get along with OSX, and don't really see any reason why I should be arsed to even try, really..

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Obvious troll is obvious, nobody can prefer Vista over Win7. :p

Thanks for clarifying the Apple->creative types thing all, pretty interesting. I just assumed that that crowd just liked white plastic and aluminum...

6. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

you could also say a Macbook is going to age quite badly in comparison to a windows based laptop.

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Actually, I reckon they age better thanks to the generally low demands people place upon them, compared to Windows laptops which people are always trying to game on (you'd be retarded to try anything tougher than Tetris on a Mac). In addition, MacBooks are just as upgradeable as Windows laptops - i.e., not at all - and are generally better built...

8. GoodBytes

1- you can game on a Mac.. even Steam with Orange Box will come to a Mac soon. Granted it's an old game. But you will see increase in game especially from indi games.

2- MacBooks are not higher build quality when you compare it with a system of equivalent value.
    Yes a Mac is faster and better in quality than a 600$ HP laptop. But compare it to another with the same price, and it ends up lower, especially with the expanding battery issue which affects a large part of MacBook Pro users, and this problem is still not looked into by Apple.

3- People are getting tired of the MacBook, they look the same as in day 1 of it's release, back in 2006. People are getting tired of the look. The OS and system looks the same since 4 years ago. Also, you can see these laptop at a lot of places and it lost it's originality factor, in the design department. MacBook (and Pro version), is now turning into mundane laptop look. Have a look at current Dell laptop, HP envy, and all new HP laptop's low and high-end, and you will see they all have great new looks. MabBook is like Lenovo, same out-dated look since day, and never changed. Both were very nice on day 1, but now it's just "ok".

4- Mac's are high priced machines. Again look at the Dell latitude E6400, cheaper and comes with 3 year warranty, much larger battery, and Windows 7 (which you will purchase either way). This will result in paying over 2000$ for a 15inch laptop, instead of a better 14inch one with box same screen resolution. PLUS, with Del, you have a technician that comes AT YOUR PLACE, to fix your computer. I tried it, and it's very professional, and even if they scratch your system, Dell covers the damage, despite not having accidental damage protection. HOW can it not be a deal breaker! I mean, you have the laptop pin your hand 100% of the time, and Dell sends a technician for anything that is wrong with your system no problem. Technician are not from Dell, but a contracted company that offer such services to small companies who can't afford an complete IT team all the time.

In any case, a bunch of laptop seams to be coming later this year or mid next year. It is perhaps best to wait

9. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You can install windows on Mac, and you can install OSX on a pc (generally with good results).

You're pretty much getting ripped off buying a Macbook Pro. The hardware is dated and not all that great for the money you're paying.

I don't see a point in using them for media creation purposes. All the nifty software OSX has, has already been recreated for Windows in some way, and probably for free.

I actually just sold my macbook pro, and I bought a new cpu, a copy of windows 7, and a synthesizer from 1986.

10. Pookeyhead

Exactly.

My i7 rig outperforms a 3.2 Xeon based MacPro in Photoshop by quite a considerable margin, and costs over THREE times less.

Seriously... Macs are form over function... and to be honest, the form isn't that great either.

OS-X is nice, if limiting for the power user, or those who like to tweak and customise, but as others have said, there are ways to run OS-X on a PC if that's your want, and you'll end up with a much faster, more customisable Mac as a result.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2010
  11. goodwood8

goodwood8 What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone ... thanks for all your comments ... good to see a useful discussion coming out of this :D

Talking of the i7 processor, isnt it true that the i7 gets very hot very quickly, atleast in the dell laptop. taking that into account, mac books (pro) are actually quite 'cool'.

And also, I didnt know you could put an OSX into a windows based laptop, like a dell, i thought they were meant for macs only, thanks for that bit of info :D

12. Pookeyhead

There are many ways to install Mac OS onto a PC.. some software based, some firmwarre based, some needing hardware hacks, or additions.

It's a big subject area.

Best place to get more information, is here

I've been toying with the idea myself, as where I work is all Mac based, and I despise my MacBook.

13. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

No self respecting gamer would use 9400M. No self respecting photographer would try and follow his craft on a nasty Apple (or Dell for that matter) TN, and they certainly wouldn't be connecting said Macbook to one of those syrupy, sickly 24" LED cinema displays unless they were merely interested in poor colour representation and were either sexing up heavily 'shopped images for a comic like FHM or trying to impress their cyber friends with sickly oversaturated dross on Flickr.

As for OSX, there is enough oppression in this world without adding your choice of operating system and hardware to it.

14. kahanejosh

kahanejosh What's a Dremel?

This is reasonably interesting to see what people have to say and I am a Mac person generally, but would like to see myself as neutral. However, the Mac vs PC argument has been going to years now and it will probably not change for a long time, and so this argument is effectively pointless. These are all factors that have been mentioned time and time again from people probably 15 years ago. Macs are better for creative stuff and are wonderfully designed, PC are bang for buck, good for gaming etc.

Its just the individuals preference really, no matter how they perform, they are at the same level for different reasons. Which is why its up to the individual to decide which they want. There is no wrong or right answer.

Just my opinion.

15. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Macs are not better for creative stuff necessarily. For instance if I was currently using a Mac instead of a PC (and I am in Professional photography capacity) I would be spending more time editing huge images and photomerges as OSX has no Photoshop support for 64bit. Mac users spread garbage about OSX being able to use remaining ram as a scratch file which is nonsense.

Until there is a 64bit support in Photoshop for Mac, for serious photographers (not unemployed people who upload lurid crap to flickr) using it would cost me time and money.

So in a nutshell, not really best for 'Creatives'. Best for Starbucks or Costa though.

16. kahanejosh

kahanejosh What's a Dremel?

Sorry I was more just saying the stereotyped uses, which some are true but as your said about the creativity side, not always true. But my point still stands.

17. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

+1

Although my kit is lower spec than yours, it works out the same way!
    I love my macbook for studying, and the feel and quality is unparalleled!

Last edited: 7 Mar 2010
  18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Mac's are cool? think again. Macbooks (pro or not) are notorious for their crappy cooling. my housemate's macbook pro requires a constant laptop fan, once it didn't have a fan for 1 hour (although the computer was working hard), his internal DVI cable became loose and his display became unusable.

i think the only reason to get a macbook is only when you've got a desktop for most things, and want to have a computer with good battery life for on-the-go, tests have shown during non-intensive browsing, the macbooks are great at battery life.

if you are only going to get one laptop, then the most powerful laptop should be your choice

19. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I do do occasional video editing on mine, and I've never had it get hotter than warm to the touch. Nobody else amongst my friends - and there are about 20 of the things throughout the year - reports overheating, even when they're the kind of idiots that sit the thing on a big soft cover on a desk...

It's not the only reason but it does help when you have 6-hour lecture days.

There, I think I fixed that for you... I personally wouldn't buy laptops at all unless I needed one; you make such horrible compromises that really it's not worth it. Netbooks, which cost about a quarter of a laptop and are infinitely more portable, are what I'd promote.

20. Pookeyhead

Don't be stupid. How are Macs better at creative stuff? It's the same software!! ..and that very software runs faster on a PC, and you pay less for it. How does that make the Mac better for creative stuff?

Back to Macland troll!